1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
555 Posts
I would personally go with the Remington SPS.

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
yuo cant go wrong with either .had em both .but if u plan to sell this at a later day then i wood go remington for sure but i have to say that those savage rifles for out of the box accuracy are second to none .i personly dont like the action on savages seems so long compared to the same caliber action on a winchester or rem or ruger . just my 2 cents

·
Registered
302 Posts
remington

i shoot that same gun in a .223 and it shoots great

·
Premium Member
18,022 Posts
Definately the Remington, it will hold it's resale value better than the Savage I'm thinking. The Savage is accurate out of the box, but you can't beat the Remington action.

·
Registered
3,034 Posts
I have a Remington 700 BDL Varminter in 22-250 and the gun drives tacks. By the same token I've read nothing but tremendous reviews on the new Savage rifles. There are some pretty savy shooters I know who are really impressed with Savage now.

Bottom line is ... sounds like a win/win choice; or you shouldn't go wrong with either one. Good Luck with your choice. Great all round caliber too ... excellent choice. :thumbs_up

·
Smilin' Bob
25,077 Posts
Of those two I'd chose the Remington....if you replace the trigger with a Jewel, Timney, etc.

The Savages are great guns, but 22" won't let you get as much out of an '06, won't sell for as much later on, and frankly - aren't as pretty to look at as a 700 action.:wink: The new accutriggers are great though.:)

·
Registered
16 Posts
take a look at a tikka t3 they are a division of sako. best action on the market, the trigger comes in at 4 lbs and deadly accurate.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Of course both are great guns, but I prefer Remington. And you have chosen the best caliber in my opinion. I love all guns and all calibers, but there isn't anything more reliable than a Remington bolt action, and you can buy 30-06 ammo at any place that sells ammo.

·
Registered
5,235 Posts
If you want guaranteed accuracy I would get the Savage. I have never seen a gun that will out shoot a Savage. I have a gunsafe full of different brands of rifles including Remingtons, Weatherbys, and Brownings but none will hold a candle to the accuracy of my Savages. The accutrigger is awesome and Savage puts out a gorgeous gun now that is rivaled in looks to the rest. HCH

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
Either....buy what FEELS better.

Both of these guns are fine firearms....I a couple of each...in several calibers actually.

Yes most savage's shoot great..but so do most remington's once you find a load they like...sometimes it's the first one you try, sometimes it takes a few. I handload so this really isn't an issue to me.

Yes the accutrigger is great, but honestly the Remington Trigger is great too....once you take the gun apart and set the trigger yourself the way it should be set...they're REALLY easy to adjust.

Remington's generally have cleaner lines and are more attractive guns in my opinion and my eyes and hands definately prefer them, but I like my Savage's too...they're just not "pretty"....

·
Registered
341 Posts
What kind of hunting do you have, open terrain, woods, heavy cover? In thick woods or heavy cover I'd get a Reminton pump in 30-06. It's fast to point and lets you get quick follow up shots.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Ryan,
Unless you are hunting in really open country which there isn't much of
in NY, why over-gun yourself with an '06. I would suggest staying with
something small and light and quick pointing. Any of the lever actions in
30-30, 300 savage, 35 Rem. perform so well and efficiently in these
thick hardwoods and swamp lands that there is no reason to go bigger.
I shot my first 4 deer with a borrowed 30-30 winchester with iron sights
including an 8 pointer who dropped in his tracks, heart shot. You just don't
get very long shots around here and never had one go more than 50 yards.
They are such a pleasure to carry and shoot that I've not had any desire
to change. I would suggest a scope though for the rare 100 yard shot,
a 4 or 6 power fixed or 3 to 9 variable. As for knockdown power if you
hit them right they will go down.Hit em wrong and they'll go long no
matter what you're using.

The old man

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
I've used the Remington 700s for years and they're good rifles.I've had trouble with Savage in the past so I vote for the Remington.

Good Luck,
Brandon

1 - 20 of 23 Posts