Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted this on another forum, wanted to see what you guys thought...

Thinkin about heading up to Zone 16 to hunt some public lands...itching to get out but my zone doesn't open for another week.

Not sure what I want to do...hunt and go for a doe or just take a camera out and enjoy the morning, take some pictures if I get a chance...

I see alot of guys donate to HHTH, but have mixed feelings about it. I feel HHTH is a great program with its intended purpose, but also feel some guys "abuse" it so to speak.

What do you guys think? If you are in a position where you really don't need to fill the freezer (just yet), but want to get out there and hunt...would you hunt and a take a doe for donation or just go for a sit?

Factor in I'll be hunting public lands (with unlimited antlerless harvest) if I go tomorrow...not sure if I want to add to the impact of minimizing the herd there.

Perhaps I'm being a little too over-analytical...kind of interested to see what you all think.

Go hunt and donate, you're doing a good thing!

OR

Why shoot something if you aren't going to take it yourself?

I guess if I had a buddy that wanted to deer, I wouldn't hesitate...I'd go hunting, take a doe, and give it to him and his family. Is HHTH any different? Essentially you are giving to those who want it.

Quite an interesting scenario...heh...at least in my thwarted mind!

Let me know what you all think from here...interested in seeing everyone's opinion...

·
Registered
19,164 Posts
Down here we have Hunters for the Hungry.... it is a very good organization which needs even more support.

There are a lot of people who need the protein, so I vote go hunting and if you don't need the meat... then by all means donate it to your HHTH, another good organization.

The best of both worlds, time spent doing what you love and helping the needful at the same time....

·
Registered
628 Posts
Obviously if your hunting zone is an unlimited antlerless harvest zone, there are plenty of deer. Feel good about helping the needy and "practice" shooting does so when "the buck" comes along, killing him will be second nature.

The more blood on your arrows, the easier it is to make the shot of a lifetime on the animal of your dreams. I wouldn't think twice about taking a few to the needy. Then call a publicist so he can take pictures of your donation and print a story in the local paper. PETA would love it! :)

Picture the headline... Compasionate hunter gives to the needy food pantry! Yeah right! Only on Rush Limbaugh or ORiely!

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, went out this morning. Hehe was interesting trying to find my old spot...everything grew back in and was overgrown...but I eventually found my tree! ;)

Was a nice sit, a little humid this morning but a light, cool breeze helped. Got setup and was in the stand around 6:00AM or so.

About 40 minutes later, a small spotted fawn came out around 40 yards from my stand. Seeing that first deer of the season is always a thrill...definitely made my morning. She came in and fed to the left of my stand for about 45 minutes and then two other small deer came in, another spot (button) and small doe (maybe 60 lbs, but no spots).

They milled around for over 1.5 hrs and came right by the stand at 15 yards. I let them all walk, was looking for a bigger, mature doe. The moved on and about an hour later came back to feed for another 20 minutes.

No other deer seen, just those 3 (twice)...got down around 10:15AM or so.

Was nice to get out for the first time, enjoy a morning in the woods, see some deer, and finally try out my new Lone Wolf Climbing sticks!

Quite a few hunters out this morning too...more than I've ever seen hunt there. Was kinda surprised the young deer this morning weren't accompanied by a nice doe or two. Wondering if the hunters are taking alot of the bigger does, usually don't see 3 yearlings with no big doe...

Well, that's my morning report...not gonna go out this afternoon...85 degree's is enough to keep me in the AC! :)

Good luck all, shoot straight!

·
74,535 Posts
We have doe permits

Due to over populated. Part of wildlife dept. program. We often give the deer to needy family. Usally we all know someone that can benefit from the harvest. It great way help someone.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Go and hunt and donate, no question. You are helping at two levels. One is that you are providing food to those who need it. Secondly you are helping the deer population in the area and not hurting it. Public lands that have the unlimited anterless tags need that help. Good luck

Brian

1 - 7 of 7 Posts