Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was scouting new property, and found what looks like trails. Also found tons and tons of scat piles.
Is it a good idea to get a stand out there, or put it further away. These piles are old and new. Put a camera out yesterday, but want to get a stand out there ASAP.

·
Banned
11,757 Posts
I am no scat expert but I do find many scat piles were the deer bed or soon after they get out of their beds. Let the cam tell you whats going on, either way it's a good sign that the deer are in that area alot.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Oh yea ... Two main things I look for (in AL) are tracks and poop ! Down here , if you can find an area just like you described (old and fresh scat) , you've found deer. Not sure I would hang my stand right in the middle of it , that's according to surroundings and whether or not you've found a feeding area. That's just my opinion.

·
Back down to ground level
16,111 Posts
Any oak dropping acorns, with fresh piles under it, is a good spot to be in the afternoon. That's usually the trees they are hitting first when they get up to feed. Early season(before they get spooky), I see them around 4:00 under the tree.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Any oak dropping acorns, with fresh piles under it, is a good spot to be in the afternoon. That's usually the trees they are hitting first when they get up to feed. Early season(before they get spooky), I see them around 4:00 under the tree.
Lots of acorns, and some other black looking nut, not sure what it is...

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
Poo alone, to me, means nothing. They "drop trow" everywhere.

But where the nuts are, oh yeah, I would have a stand close.

Are there multiple trails coming to the spot?

Play the wind and get a stand about 15 yards off any trails but with good shot options. Do not hunt that stand if the wind is wrong.

If you are hunting to take a big buck and wont take a doe, do not over hunt it. It will be very easy to burn the spot cause of getting busted by old does.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts