Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchaced a gorgeous Bob Lee Hunter takedown recurve. My first traditional bow, and I'm already shooting better than I expected to.
It's a 62" bow rated at 54#'s @ 28". The Bob Lee company is based in Jacksonville, TX which is only 25 min. from where I live. I was fortunate enough to have Rob Lee (Bob's son) evaluate my shooting form and arrow flight. According to him, I'm drawing right at 27" which would put me at about 51#'s of draw weight.
I bought some GT 3355's (I think that's it. The size right under the 5575's), and at 30" with 125 gr. points, I'm getting really good arrow flight.
I'm wondering if anyone can recomend a REALLY great hunting shaft that you feel will still give me good flight.
Maybe something like an Easton Axis or Full Metal Jacket?
Also, Rob Lee mentioned that he has had great luck with the G5 Montec broadhead as well as the Muzzy Phantom. Any other good broadheads you could recomend would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Schoolcraft

·
2nd Amend. Don't lose it
21,930 Posts
Hello SchoolCraft,

It's a 62" bow rated at 54#'s @ 28". The Bob Lee company is based in Jacksonville, TX which is only 25 min. from where I live. I was fortunate enough to have Rob Lee (Bob's son) evaluate my shooting form and arrow flight. According to him, I'm drawing right at 27" which would put me at about 51#'s of draw weight.
I question this....Great form First bow, Heavy? Nothing personal, but the chances are slim. If they are true, congradulations... You are well under way.

I bought some GT 3355's (I think that's it. The size right under the 5575's), and at 30" with 125 gr. points, I'm getting really good arrow flight.
I'm wondering if anyone can recomend a REALLY great hunting shaft that you feel will still give me good flight.
This should be a no brainer... If your shafts shoot that great out of your bow, why the heck change shafts???? Use the shafts you are shooting good with, and stick on a broadhead.

Welcome to the sport of Traditional Archery! Good to have you aboard.

Dwayne

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Never mentioned great form with my first traditional bow. I said I had Rob Lee evaluate my form. I know I've got LOT'S to learn.
Thanks for the response though. I was hoping to get an opinion on an arrow/broadhead combo that will still give me good arrow flight and give me as much penetration as possible for hunting.
Schoolcraft

·
2nd Amend. Don't lose it
21,930 Posts
Hello SchoolCraft,

Thanks for the response though. I was hoping to get an opinion on an arrow/broadhead combo that will still give me good arrow flight and give me as much penetration as possible for hunting.
Schoolcraft
I think you missed my point completely...

You said you have some shafts that fly great out of your bow... So why not use them? They are properly spined, you know how much weight the tips are, and you have been using them... What more can you ask?

Go out there, buy a Cut on Contact blade (LIke a Zwickly <sp>) replace your field tip, and you have the perfect setup. The only varialbe that has changed, is your arrow tip. Everything else is the same. Thus, you should be able to place those arrows in that bullseye just about the same as you would using your field tips.

Dwayne

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
I've shot a few Bob Lee recurves and they're super bows. As Dwayne suggested, if 35/55 Gold Tips are flying well, I'd stick with them. GT also makes a "Traditional" 35/55 shaft that's a little heavier that you may like, especially for hunting. You may be able to shorten arrow length by adding a little weight to the point end. I think you'll find that several companies make similar shafting to GT 35/55s and simply finding a brand that's available is probably good enough unless you like to experiment. In the latter case, try sticking with .500 spine shafting as they would be similar to 35/55s. There are lots of great broadheads on the market. I prefer 2-blade cut on conatact heads. If you're looking for a screw-in 2-blade, you may want to try Magnus stingers. If you're into multi-blade heads, the Muzzy was developed by a longbow hunter and is reportedly a good head. Wensel Woodsman heads look good, though I've never shot anything with one. I've always used Zwickey 2-blade glue-on heads that you sharpen yourself and taken a number of large animals with them. It seems like some don't like the sharpen it yourself aspect of these heads but they're deadly.

Substituting say a 125 grain broadhead for a 125 grain field point can change arrow flight. Without getting into tuning aspects and such, make sure you shoot your arrows with broadheads and they all fly well before hunting with them.

Congrats on the new bow and have fun hunting with it. Sure wish I could visit with Rob and Bob - I'm jealous.

·
Registered
651 Posts
I know plenty of folks who use Gold Tip 35/55 for hunting deer. I don't think you should change arrows.....but you can add weight to them with the Gold Tip weigh tube system....Here's a link:

http://www.goldtip.com/products/family.asp?cid=25-B117346D-4DA2-4E35-96FC-4A9A7162461E&rnd=179853106

...Or you could just go with the heavy brass inserts to boost up your arrow weight. As long as you are close to at least 9 grains per pound, you'll be fine. I bet you can do that pretty easily with brass inserts and 140 grain broadheads.

I only use Magnus II 140 grain screw ins from www.keystonecountrystore.com

1 - 6 of 6 Posts