Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Currently shooting Elite Impulse 31 60# with a 28.5" draw with GoldTip Pro Hunter cut 28.25" from nock throat to end of carbon these weigh 402-405ish. 100grain heads.

I want to shot a heavier arrow. Considering FMJ 5mm 340s cut 28", weight should be 459.4gr plus glue. Then I got playing some numbers and looking at shooting Axxis 340s 5mm and using the 50gr brass inserts, weight should be 443gr plus glue. I am not an arrow expert by and stretch of the imagination. So for those more knowledgeable and experienced which of the two I listed would you chose for my setup and why. The FMJ is going to be a bit heavier but the Axxis would carry more weight to the front end.

Thanks in advance guys.

·
<--Son's First Buck!
8,996 Posts
I've shot both and had luck with both. My current arrow is a 300 5mm Axis with 50gr upfront and a 125gr head. They come in right at 520grs. I generally prefer an arrow with a higher FOC and have built a number of arrows the past few years with high FOC %. The advantages of a heavier arrow with a higher FOC will be a quieter shot and hit harder without too much of a loss in trajectory. They generally will group better in a well tuned bow. Could opt to add the HITs to the FMJ and get in that 500gr plus range, but for deer sized game that's a bit of overkill. Although some guys love the heavier builds. Heck, two years ago I built a GT Kinetic that was 560 plus for elk.

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've shot both and had luck with both. My current arrow is a 300 5mm Axis with 50gr upfront and a 125gr head. They come in right at 520grs. I generally prefer an arrow with a higher FOC and have built a number of arrows the past few years with high FOC %. The advantages of a heavier arrow with a higher FOC will be a quieter shot and hit harder without too much of a loss in trajectory. They generally will group better in a well tuned bow. Could opt to add the HITs to the FMJ and get in that 500gr plus range, but for deer sized game that's a bit of overkill. Although some guys love the heavier builds. Heck, two years ago I built a GT Kinetic that was 560 plus for elk.
Thanks, I considered putting the brass inserts in the FMJ, that would put me at 509 grains with the 50 grain insert or 534 with the full 75 grain insert. It would make my bow pretty dang quieter and hit like a hammer, but at 60# it may affect trajectory more than I'd prefer but I could test it I guess.

·
Registered
427 Posts
You could also put some weights in the Gold Tip inserts. Just an option to consider to save some $. I have the 50 grain inserts in mine but they make weights that thread into the inserts as well. I like good FOC.

·
Registered
4,111 Posts
Axis 340 with 50 grain brass hits. 27 inches from end to nock groove, 100 grain heads, 3 blazers, comes out to 430 grains and around 16% foc. I shoot the same arrows from my 60 and 70 lb nitrum turbos at 26 inch draw. The drop isn’t as bad as you would think even with my short draw. They both shoot fantastic out to 100 yards. If you want more weight overall go fmj. I’m a big axis fan though.

·
Registered
2,353 Posts
is there a reason you dont wanna add brass inserts or fact weights to your gold tips? i run xt hunters with 100gr brass and 100gr heads, 27" of carbon and im at 475gr. brass inserts are cheap! $12 a dozen. lets you play with weight and not spend big money on arrows. i also like 100gr heads, lots of options, always available, cheap.

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Can I add brass weight up front to inserts that are already glued in. I told you guys I’m ignorant on this one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Proverbs 21:19
9,602 Posts
Try a 125 head. If you want more get some 8-32 set screws at the hardware store. 1" long is 29 gr. At it to your inserts.

·
Registered
669 Posts
My new arrow for this large boar I'm hunting is a gold tips Hunter xt .300 spine cut 28.5 carbon to carbon. I was already using the 100 grain brass insert with 100 grain Magnus BH. I switched to 125 BH and added 50 grain fact weight. Fly great only about 1/12 low at 25 yards. I do have China lighted nock which weighs in at 20gr. Only change was 25 yd pin now 20 yard and so on. At 60 yards fly true hit hard. Bow seems a bit quieter too. Bear moment @ 72lbs 29" draw. Just get some fact weights from gold tips and experiment.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Currently shooting Elite Impulse 31 60# with a 28.5" draw with GoldTip Pro Hunter cut 28.25" from nock throat to end of carbon these weigh 402-405ish. 100grain heads.

I want to shot a heavier arrow. Considering FMJ 5mm 340s cut 28", weight should be 459.4gr plus glue. Then I got playing some numbers and looking at shooting Axxis 340s 5mm and using the 50gr brass inserts, weight should be 443gr plus glue. I am not an arrow expert by and stretch of the imagination. So for those more knowledgeable and experienced which of the two I listed would you chose for my setup and why. The FMJ is going to be a bit heavier but the Axxis would carry more weight to the front end.

Thanks in advance guys.
What are you hunting? Also, what's the absolute maximum size animal you could ever foresee yourself getting a shot at in your woods?

·
Registered
6,635 Posts
Is there a particular reason you want to go heavier? For whitetail your current set up is fine. Maybe try a 125 head and see what that does for you.

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Is there a particular reason you want to go heavier? For whitetail your current set up is fine. Maybe try a 125 head and see what that does for you.
Heavier punches through better, makes my bow quieter, and heavier arrows seem to fly better for me ( I shot FMJs that were over 500gr when I still shot 70#)

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
I prefer the performance I get with the higher FOC.

This year, I was looking for better FOC and Penetration and with the ST Epics no longer available, I shifted to the 5mm Axis. Again with 340 Spine 9.5 gpi, 125gr Montec, and 3" Fusions, but no wrap. 16.3% FOC with 75gr insert, and 505gr OAW.
I classify these as affordable shafts that allow me cut very accurate. I usually get the straightness better than the advertised +/-.003". The shafts hold up well to continuous shooting.

Where the FMJ seem to hold up better over the longer haul, I still get a lot of use out of the Axis 5mm. Running a 100gr head and 50gr insert should still see great FOC, and performance.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Can I add brass weight up front to inserts that are already glued in. I told you guys I’m ignorant on this one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If you have standard nocks installed, you can add the FACT weights from the rear of the arrow. They make a long allen wrench so you can remove your nock, slide the weight in and tighten it up to the back of the insert with the long wrench. Makes is really nice if you want to experiment with different weight setups after you have your inserts glued in.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Heavier punches through better, makes my bow quieter, and heavier arrows seem to fly better for me ( I shot FMJs that were over 500gr when I still shot 70#)
I know that I am stating the obvious but before you go adding weight make sure that you wont be to weak. If you are shooting 340 goldtips you should be fine but if you are shooting 400 you might be a little weak depending on how much weight you add. It is better to be on the stiff side. If personal preference but if you are looking for a harder hitting arrow and heavier you should go with an arrow that has a low GPI so that you can add the weight on the front and not in the arrow. This way you are getting a heavier arrow and a higher FOC which will hit harder and get better penetration because of weight and FOC. Personally I would rather run the Axis for the better FOC.

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I know that I am stating the obvious but before you go adding weight make sure that you wont be to weak. If you are shooting 340 goldtips you should be fine but if you are shooting 400 you might be a little weak depending on how much weight you add. It is better to be on the stiff side. If personal preference but if you are looking for a harder hitting arrow and heavier you should go with an arrow that has a low GPI so that you can add the weight on the front and not in the arrow. This way you are getting a heavier arrow and a higher FOC which will hit harder and get better penetration because of weight and FOC. Personally I would rather run the Axis for the better FOC.
I am indeed shooting 340s, I am leaning toward the Axis for sure. I may just gets some fact weights for my GT Pro hunters since I have several and like to be frugal when feasible.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
I am indeed shooting 340s, I am leaning toward the Axis for sure. I may just gets some fact weights for my GT Pro hunters since I have several and like to be frugal when feasible.
Not sure what you have for a phone or if you have Ontarget for the computer but ontarget not has an app. I have both and I really like the app ot2go. If is a lot cheaper and pretty easy to run your numbers to see where you are at for spine. The app is only on android right now. The app cost a dollar and the year subscription is like 7 bucks. Not bad and it could save you time and money when looking at how much weight to add on the goldtips or when and if you look at buying the axis. Just a heads up incase you don't have either. Not trying to stop you from asking questions because I love reading threads about arrow builds it gives me alot of ideas on set ups that I might want to try but just figured I would let you know about the app to help you out.

·
Registered
2,353 Posts
you can remove your old inserts a couple ways. if they are hot melt glued, screw in a field point and warm it with a lighter, then pull with a pliers. if they are super glued, take out the field point, remove your nock and drop a drill bit (biggest that fits in the arrow and can slide freely) in BACKWARDS so the flat back portion of the bit hits the back of the insert. swing the arrow so the bit slams against the back of the insert. it will take a few swings to bust it loose.

im a proponent of brass. i think its better than the fact weights as the weights can rattle loose. i also dont like the suggestions of using 125gr heads. clearly you already have 100s, so adjust the brass to get your desired weight. heads are expensive $40/3. brass is cheap at $12/dozen.

i would also suggest you have a nice mix of field points 75/100/125/150/200 for testing. every bow has a sweet spot, as does every arrow. my guardian loves 475gr arrows, ive tried lower and higher, but trying varying weight field points on different arrows, thats the weight that it liked best at 29"/70lbs. that weight just has the 'it factor' when you shoot it. my wallet loves gold tip hunter xts (available at walmart as gold tip 'cutdowns' with clearance prices as low as $2.50 each). the gold tip in 340 spine with 100gr heads and 100gr brass cut to 27" from my guardian 315ish IBO, spines out damn near perfect. my setup maximizes this arrow and this overall setup.

for me, cost is a factor, so take my advice however you see fit.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts