Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Strictly Public Land
12,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys im real indecisive about what i want to buy for my next arrow i am currently shooting 2 arrows, harvest time HT-1 at about 470 grains tip included @ 264fps and Easton Raider 390 grains tip included @ 290fps i can shoot them at the same time and they shoot with no variance they also both have the same KE according to a online KE calculator. If i go down to a 350 grain arrow i will be at 300fps and lose 2 pounds of KE but if i stay around 400 grains i will i will be around 290fps and about 73 pounds of KE.

What do you think go lighter = 350g, stay the same = 400g or heavier = 450g?

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
If its hunting whitetails go with the 350 grains I personally like a flatter shooting g arrow for my HHA sight, I shoot a 370 grain Easton flatline out of a z7 at 318 fps with 83 lb KE. My. Urdu blew through 2 deer shooting a 343 grain arrow with a z7-mag @
289 fps I know alot of guys say heavier arrows but the speeds these new bows put out I don't think it is, of course shot placement is dry important stay away from shoulders, I shot rage broadheads so I have to be very good about who placement

·
Strictly Public Land
12,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i was thinking about the flatline's. i noticed when using the online calculator that the heavier arrows dont really give you an advantage until you shoot a further distance then they will help the penetration. like my Ht-1 are 470g shooting 268fps and 75lbs of KE the easton raiders are 390g 292fps and 74lbs KE. so i really lose in that deal with the speed, with my bow if i go down to a 350g arrow i will shoot 304 and 72lbs of KE. im leaning toward a light arrow right now because where i hunt in NY you dont get far shots. probably 25 yards tops.

Any arrow suggestions with weights between 350-390? i would like something that has the advantages of the FMJ material with out the weight of the FMJ if possible, im not sure if the technology is out there but it would be cool.

·
Strictly Public Land
12,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ttt

·
Banned
4,379 Posts
Hey guys im real indecisive about what i want to buy for my next arrow i am currently shooting 2 arrows, harvest time HT-1 at about 470 grains tip included @ 264fps and Easton Raider 390 grains tip included @ 290fps i can shoot them at the same time and they shoot with no variance they also both have the same KE according to a online KE calculator. If i go down to a 350 grain arrow i will be at 300fps and lose 2 pounds of KE but if i stay around 400 grains i will i will be around 290fps and about 73 pounds of KE.

What do you think go lighter = 350g, stay the same = 400g or heavier = 450g?
2#/...really?
WOW
I dont know.
I give up

·
Archer
8,649 Posts
Any of those will work just fine for whitetails, so if that's what you're hunting then you'll be in good shape no matter what you decide. Personally I like my whitetail arrows to be right around that 400 grain mark, so that would be my choice.

·
Strictly Public Land
12,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Any of those will work just fine for whitetails, so if that's what you're hunting then you'll be in good shape no matter what you decide. Personally I like my whitetail arrows to be right around that 400 grain mark, so that would be my choice.
As i look more and more at arrows most of the ones that fall in my spine class is arrows that will be at 400 with my BH on them. so im thinking about finding some that i like in that range.

·
Registered
7,348 Posts
i'm currently shooting a 480 gr. arrow at 285 fps. i am seriously thinking about dropping my arrpw weight down to around 350-380 gr. which should pick my speed up around 30 fps. using the calculators, my ke would be around 83 with a .53 in momentum...so my numbers would only slightly drop. with that slight of a drop, i think the pick up in arrow speed trumps the minimal loss in ke and mo.

·
Registered
3,484 Posts
Id go the heavy arrow u got personally..but I prefer to shoot heavy arrows since it makes my bow silent and hit harder...not needed, but its what I like

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
if you are over 50lbs of KE you should not have any problems blowing through a deer.

I don't shoot high speed numbers or mind blowing KE numbers and get pass throughs at 30 yards.

·
Registered
727 Posts
I am shooting a 375 gr. GoldTip XT Hunter at 293 fps. It has worked well. Pass throughs most of the time with Rages. I am seriously considering the GoldTip Kinetics to boost my arrow weight to around 470 gr (I'm on the verge of being underspined now) to get more energy. I don't think it would affect trajectory much under 30 yards. Anything over 30 I range before I shoot anyway.

·
Strictly Public Land
12,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ttt

·
Registered
6,860 Posts
I found that I like arrows between 410 and 440gr to hunt with, good speed, and still good momentum just in case you catch a little bone in your shot. Last 2 deer I've shot, shot with arrows weighing 435gr, and they blew right through no problem at all. Killed a 275# hog same arrow weight, same result, blew right through.

·
THwack--CRASH
11,173 Posts
Easton Raider 390 grains tip included @ 290fps....best of both worlds....in my 47yrs of experience!

·
Strictly Public Land
12,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
just bought some victory V force V3 they weight just under 400 with blazers and 100g tip. whats your guys opinion about these victory's?

·
Registered
785 Posts
You may not loose that much KE in a lighter arrow but it would probably hurt your momentum number more. If you want to switch to the lighter arrow a flatline 400 would get you there. That arrow that 390 grains @ 290 fps would be a good arrow. You have enough energy to be fine just pick your shots and not try to punch it through anything to tough with the light arrow.

·
Registered
2,956 Posts
Id go the heavy arrow u got personally..but I prefer to shoot heavy arrows since it makes my bow silent and hit harder...not needed, but its what I like
Yupp... I'm shooting around 450 grains (including knock/vanes/BH/insert)... love it. Dead silent and brings the pain. literally.

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
2#/...really?
WOW
I dont know.
I give up[/QUOTEi

I read my post again spell checker is a pain on these iPhones as for giving up since your banned it looks like you should just give up

1 - 19 of 19 Posts