Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Saturday evening had 9 turkeys walk through the food plot with three of them being bearded hens. I had read a story in Petersons Bowhunting just that morning about the most common mistakes out of a ground blind. Wouldn't you know I made A number 1 mistake. I let the first four turks go by at 12 yards and when the biggest bearded hen walked by ( at least a 8" beard and fairly thick) I drew back put it on the butt of her wing and let it fly. She jump straight up and ran about ten yards and stopped. I could have got another shot but I thought she was a dead bird walking. To my surprise she ran off. I got out of the blind to get my arrow and see what happened, and to my surprise the arrow was clean. I sat back down wondering what happened and noticed a hole in my blind about a 1/2" below my shooting window. Just a little advise. Make sure your arrow clears the blind before you release. If she would have been out farther there wouldn't have been any problem. She was to close and I let my gaurd down.

·
Registered
2,707 Posts
house,
This is a hard learned lesson, but you'll have another chance. :nod: Turkeys are simple creatures and will be back by your blind another day. :)

I see guys at 3-D shoots making the same mistake on real close or "bunny shots" or "gimme shots". The thing to do is concentrate on a 5 yard shot, as much as you do on a 40 yard shot. :thumb:

Good hunting, Bowhunter57

1 - 2 of 2 Posts