Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
3,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can't help but notice many bowhunters are complaining about the drop in quality with their favorite hunting boot brand. Much of this seems to be because boot manufacturers have moved their production to China.

I recently bought a pair of Danner Pronghorn Gortex with 1000 grams of thinsulate. Their site says they are made in Portland Oregon.

I was reluctant as they were almost twice the price of many other boots I tried on at Bass Pro Shops. However, when I tried them on, the fit and comfort was awesome! And nothing else was close. I splurged and bought these $200 boots.

I used them every day hunting Ohio even when it was snowing and I love them so far. Warm and comfy. I walked several miles some days and my feet were very happy.

At least for now, I can recommend the Danner Pronghorn boots.

Ray

·
Live Free or Die!
8,575 Posts
I bought the lighter version of that boot and love em. They fit as if they were made for my foot. Also, I have a number of friends in Arizona, and they will wear nothing but Danners; both in desert and mountains. They are great boots.

·
Registered
5,105 Posts
This is exactly why I try to avoid overseas made hunting equipment whenever I can, unless you are talking about firearms.
Dan

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
I am recieveing a pair of the danner elk ridge boots for xmas. does anyone have any feedback on these?
sorry to be a thread thief, but this thread made me wonder.

·
Smilin' Bob
25,077 Posts
I had a pair of Pronghorns about 5 years ago...cost me about $20/day to own them.

I've had better luck with their Sierras and other more expensive boots until I got some of the GTX series two years ago. I've worn the first pair of them about 6 days a week including hunting since and the other two pair are almost like new. None show any signs of giving up soon.

·
soon to be up a tree
1,331 Posts
i used to love my danner pronghorns as well. my son and i each have a pair. they are the most comfortable hunting boots i have ever worn. were super water proof for the first year, then that went to crap fast. wet grass now equals soaked feet in my pronghorns. am currently trying irish setters and have not had very good luck with them either.

·
My Elk Hunting Home
32,335 Posts
I bought the uninsulated Pronghorns last year and absolutely hate them. Haven't worn them enough times to attest to the quality, but the design and fit for me is horrible. They call them Pronghorns for a reason.......Zero ankle support, no traction in the steep stuff, and like a deer on ice skates when it's wet. There also appears to be a rivet or seam that rubs right on my ankle bone as well.:mad: My 6-year old Rocky Lynx boots are much more comfortable and much better suited for elk hunting.....and still waterproof. However, they're made in China as well. This year I bought some Lowa Tibet Pro GTX's, they were designed with mountains in mind, and made in Germany.:wink:

·
Registered
44 Posts
Funny you mention boot quality. For the past 7-8 years I've stuck with Lacrosse Burly knee high rubber boots (green). Usually they last 1-2 years of hard hunting but the ones I bought this year tore in the first month. I could tell after I bought them they were of lesser quality. Too bad not lesser price. Now I'm currently using one boot from last year that is still in good shape and one of cheaply made newer one.

·
soon to be up a tree
1,331 Posts
5mile i totally forgot about the pronghorn traction. LOL o wait that is because there is none. dry leaves on a hillside equals quite a few slips with these i must agree.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Bought a pair of Browning Huntsman boots in the early 90's. They lasted through almost a decade of horrendous abuse before finally becoming unusable. Being worn to the point of not being waterproof was their end point. So I bought another pair of the same make, model and size.

They were crap and fell apart within a couple months. The stitching came apart at every stressed seam and both boot soles tore at the front of the heel.

Browning wanted me to contact the factory for warranty information. The factory wanted me to contact Browning for warranty information. Then Browning switched to a different company making their boots and I was left high and dry.

That bad experience has soured me from Browning boots forever.

Bought a pair of Cabela's brand boots and they lasted for 6-7 years. Totally happy with what they sold me. They just aren't waterproof anymore. Gore-tex only lasts so long before it wears out too.

Now, I can't find a pair of boots with eyelets only. Every boot manufacturer seems to have gone to a mixture of eyelets and hooks and that combo just doesn't float my boat.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Booo for the quality of boots today!

I have a new (1 year) pair of Danner Frontier 1000 gram boots. They leak terribly! Boots these days are awful. ROcky boots 8 years ago or so were good quality, and noqw they are worthless to me. The soles fall apart.

My Dad has a pair of Wolverines that just had a fabric bottom glued to the rubber sole. Of course they fell apart and leaked. I would be willing to pay good money for boots that were guaranteed to not leak (without going to all rubber i.e. Muck) and were durable.

·
Registered
10,964 Posts
Booo for the quality of boots today!

I have a new (1 year) pair of Danner Frontier 1000 gram boots. They leak terribly! Boots these days are awful. ROcky boots 8 years ago or so were good quality, and noqw they are worthless to me. The soles fall apart.
Same with me, I swear for the first few months they were the most comfortable boots I have ever owned! Than they started leaking and the side ripped out on both:( $229.00 boots:mad:

·
Registered
774 Posts
I have moved away from Rocky boots about 5 years ago. Just just do not feel comfortable. I bought a pair of Danner Pronghorn with 400 gr from my elk hunt in N. Mexico last year and broke them in well before hand. They worked well for that trip. Still are one of my most comfortable boot. I do use a custom orthotic arch support in all my boots. The MOST comfortable boot I have is a Irish Setter non-insulated but the waterproofness has long since disappeared. I still wear them when it is dry. I am looking at a pair of Irish setter with 2000gm of thinsulate for late season stand hunting, but $225 is a big bite right now.

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
Not ALL Danners are made in USA. Check their site to see which ones ARE.

·
Smilin' Bob
25,077 Posts
Not ALL Danners are made in USA. Check their site to see which ones ARE.
The GTXs are made in China (just pulled it off my foot to check:wink:). In my experience they're better than the pronghorns by a long shot.

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
The pair of danners I have are great I have wore the fire out of em and they are still waterproof and still warm I believe they are 3 years old I dont remember the name of the boot but they were 179.99 at BP

·
Premium Member
960 Posts
I bought the uninsulated Pronghorns last year and absolutely hate them. Haven't worn them enough times to attest to the quality, but the design and fit for me is horrible. They call them Pronghorns for a reason.......Zero ankle support, no traction in the steep stuff, and like a deer on ice skates when it's wet. There also appears to be a rivet or seam that rubs right on my ankle bone as well.:mad: My 6-year old Rocky Lynx boots are much more comfortable and much better suited for elk hunting.....and still waterproof. However, they're made in China as well. This year I bought some Lowa Tibet Pro GTX's, they were designed with mountains in mind, and made in Germany.:wink:
You must of bought different uninsulated pronghorns then me, because mine fit so good they feel like basketball shoes. I love the fit and support they have...My favorite boots by far!!

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
I think the Pronghorn brand of Danners are made in China. I have a pair of and they are so comfortable. I haven't had any problems with them leaking and I hope I don't. I found by Danners dirt cheap ($130.00) at the Harrisburgh Outdoor show a few years ago. I couldn't pass them up at that price. So far, no complaints from me or my feet.

I have had 2 pairs of Rocky's and I hate those things. THe soles are junk and they cracked and wore thin in only a few seasons. And they claim they are waterproof, but when I walk through wet grass and I can wring water out of my socks that isn't good.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Cabela's light weight Kangaroo's. Bought them in 1995. Wear them every day. Have them on right now. Made in China. They have developed a leak because the leather has developed a small crack. Don't know if they would be still under warranty or not. Thought maybe I would send the in to Vortex, they are supposed to be so good on warranty that they probably warranty boots too. Hee Hee....

1 - 20 of 61 Posts