Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I guess I'm going to have to pick up a new pair of boots soon but I don't want to break the bank.
I tried on a pair of Wolverine "Whitetail Sent-lok" today and they were really comfortable.The price was right at just $79.
I have also been considering picking up some Lacrosse rubber boots but I have some concerns.
I did try on a pair of the LaCrosse boots and they felt comfortable enough but I am concerned about the traction of the soles in a wet treestand.They don't appear all that good.

forgive me if this subject has been played out before but I need some opinions.
I'd like to stay at around $79
Any other suggestions?

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
It depends what the hunting application is, but for treestand hunting I prefer all rubber, knee high boots.

In the early season and for scouting I really like the LaCrosse Camo Grange Rubber boots. They are very lightweight and fit like slippers! Due to the sale at Cabela's (link below), I ordered another two pairs. Absolutely the best rubber boot I've worn ever. I put MILES on these boots and my feet are very comfortable (i.e. no torn up ankles, feet, etc)

If you get these, try them on first...but try a foot size smaller. I am size 13 and have 3 pairs now in size 12. Its a comfortable, snug fit with one pair of socks, perfect for early season hunting and year round scouting.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jhtml?id=0021024830446a&type=product&cmCat=static_product

As the temps drop, I switch over to a pair of Browning rubber boots with 1000 grams of insulation for hunting only. I use my lightweight LaCross Camo Grange for scouting even in the dead of winter. I wear these all day in temps below freezing without a problem. The only time all day sits get tough is in winter bow when temps start getting into single digits and below. I got a pair of those Arctic Shield boot covers for late season, which I'll slip over these Brownings...hopefully that will fit the bill and allow me to sit all day comfortably.

If you get these, I got my actual size. This allows me to layer socks underneath with ample toe room. Again try them on for your own preference in fit.

http://www.shoeline.com/asp/dcpitem.asp?series=70100&brand=R

Good Luck Man! That's what I use, and they work very well for me for scouting and hunting.

·
Shut up and Shoot!!!
6,256 Posts
For Western Oklahoma,(I don't know how they would work in the east) but the Irish Setter boots that Bass Pro has for $79 have 600 grams of thinsulate and waterproof. Irish Setter is made by Red Wing and we have been very happy with them in the past.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm not wanting something super insulated.That's what socks are for ;)
Do the rubber boots have adequate traction when climbing treesteps or on stands?
This is where I'll do most of my hunting.

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
The boots I mentioned are what I use for climbing treesteps and into treestands.

I use EZY Rod Tree Steps and several types of stands: Gorilla, Loc-on, API, Summit, etc...all with different types of bottoms: carpet, grated, mesh, barred, etc.

I've never had a problem with traction, but always be careful...regardless of tread or boot. Kick mud/snow off the boot before climbing and be sure to wipe your treestand platform off before climbing on.

·
Registered
852 Posts
I hunt with LaCrosse boots primarily - I have La Grange(non insulated), Burly 800's, and Burly 1200 camos, and all three have been great... I mostly treestand hunt, and traction has never been a problem - including with steps, lock-ons, and climbers... I have never regretted buying a LaCrosse boot...

- georgestrings

·
Registered
49 Posts
i just bought the Cabelas comfort trac rubber boots with 1200 grams thinsulate insulation and they are great boots. have a pretty aggressive sole and are great for cold morning hunts. and in really cold weather you can get the insulated over the boot things and the special rubber boot socks that go past your knee. The 1200 gram model is only 80$ compared to lacrosse's 120$ for their 1200 gram model.

·
Shut up and Shoot!!!
6,256 Posts
600 grams of insulate does not make it hot in the warm weather but still keeps your feet warm in cold weather. I wear my thinsulate boots year around. Work and play.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Where I hunt I need snake protection just about all year. We have some really nasties here in the low country, and to be walking to your tree stand in the dark and all of a sudden hear a rattle is not a good feeling. :( For scouting I use a pair of lacosse snake boots, and for hunting I use the all rubber cabelas snake boots. They are both a little heavier, but it sure beats getting hit by a big eastern. This past year while scouting I caught a 5 1/2 foot eastern, as well as several cainbrakes that were 3' or better. Any of them sure would put a hurting on you!:(

·
74,535 Posts
Deerhunting

You should really consider a good pair of rubber. I wear mine most the times.

·
Registered
167 Posts
www.muckbootcompany.com

Look at the Woody or Wetlands model. Pretty much the same boot, except the Woody is camo instead of brown...and $20 more! This is the most comfortable rubber boot you'll try on. I think the Wetland sells for $89 and the Woody for $109.

·
Registered
5,700 Posts
i use the wolverine rubber boots both uninsullated and the insullated and they won't break your bank and last a good length of time. very comfortable and very rugged boots
rob k

·
Registered
10,157 Posts
i'm a rocky fiend , however the other day i was at a store and i saw a couple different pair of irish setter boots , they are nice , if you want a good pair of rubber boots that aren't real expensive check out the comfort trac from cabelas , i've had mine a couple years now and they are still going strong , and theyare comfortable , they only down fall to them is they can be a p.i.t.a. to get off your feet other than that they pretty good.

·
Registered
19,164 Posts
I guess I'm just a total Redneck.... I don't skrimp on two things the weapons I use and the boots on my feet....

·
Registered
5,880 Posts
What is a good water proof boot for stalking?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts