Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Hero for Hire
1,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to buy my first bow and I'm looking for some recommendations on what to purchase. I'm limited because of my requirements for a long draw length, 31.5 - 32, and because of my light pockets. I'd like the absolute best all around bow I can get that works with me. Looking to spend around $400 or less for a bare bow.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
There a ton of quality bows in that price range to choose from. I would say go to a couple of pro shops and see if they will you test shoot a couple, and pick the one you like best. Good luck and welcome to your new addiction.:wink:

·
Hero for Hire
1,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
First of all thanks for the replies. However, I was hoping to hear from some guys out there with longer DL requirements. I know there are tons of bows in that price range, but very few that have are adjustable out to 32.

I have been to some local shops and checked out their bows, but they are also limited on what they have in 32".

thanks again.

·
EXTREME BOWSTRINGS
11,626 Posts
Send joelc or Pug a pm and see what they at Martin Archery can do for your light pockets.

·
Lou & Jode
10,783 Posts
I have a 31" draw,I hunt and 3D with a Darton Tundra,3D with a Mathews Apex and spot shoot with a Hoyt Protec XT 3000 they all shoot differantly I had to adapt to each bow.As a new shooter you should find a bow thats comfortable in your hand and suited for your needs,some people like one brand of bow only.I shoot the Darton and the Hoyt best with pure back tension but the Mathews works best for me shooting it on command,how each bow shoots best for you may be totally differant so it's hard for me to sell you on one particular brand.All of the top name bows shoot well,IMO the longer the draw the longer the ATA should be,I feel the longer ATA bows hold better and shoot more accurately,I woundn't look at anything under 38" ATA.

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
300 to 500 is a tough one. BT makes the OG, Martin Razor, Darton Tundra, Hoyt protec, Trycon. Most of these bows are more then 500$ I'd look for a used one :cocktail:

·
Registered
9,843 Posts
It looks like Martin makes the P3 in your price range, with a 32" draw length with the Nitrous cams. See if a local dealer can get you one to test shoot.

·
Premium Member
5,745 Posts
My DL is at that draw range you mentioned. I started shooting Martin bows several years back specifically because they made a range of bows that fit my needs. That hasn't changed since :wink: Have a look at their lineup....... lots for you to choose from.

·
EXTREME BOWSTRINGS
11,626 Posts
Dchiefransom said:
It looks like Martin makes the P3 in your price range, with a 32" draw length with the Nitrous cams. See if a local dealer can get you one to test shoot.
Martin has a program that if there is not a dealer in your area then they can send it to your dealer for you to test drive but you need to really talk to joelc or Pug to get all the details. Oh the Nitrous Cams are just awesum, a smooth draw backed with lots of extra power.:wink:

·
Registered
10 Posts
I just got the bowtech tomkat and its great. Its 529 though so is a little over the price. It's goes up to a 31" draw length but if you shoot with a release which I'm guessing you are it adds draw length. so you may be good. I would deffinately take look at it because its a great buy and comes with whisker rest, sights and quiver. Good luck with buying your bow!

·
Hero for Hire
1,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I've been looking at the Fred Bear Elements, but there are no dealers close to my area so I can't really check one out. Anyone have any experience with one?

·
Registered
9,843 Posts
What area are you in?

·
Registered
4,240 Posts
check out,, martin bow line for sure great bows and great price ..and maybe the Pearson line would have one to fit ..

·
Hero for Hire
1,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

·
Registered
777 Posts
The Darton Tundra will go to 32 3/8". Its ATA of 40" would also serve you well, and it would be smokin' fast at 32". There's usually a couple of them floating around the ads here, and a nice used one fits into your budget.

JPiniewski also has a Cyclone LD listed. It will go to 34 1/2" and has an ATA of 41 1/4". Like he said, it's Paul Bunyan ready.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts