Archery Talk Forum banner

Hunting Bow, Target Bow?

834 Views 10 Replies 9 Participants Last post by  BLACK WOLF
A comment on a different thread caught my attention, which brings up my question--what makes a bow either a "hunting bow", a "target bow", or both (or neither--what if you only use it for stump shooting?)?

I know that some bows are designed around either hunting or target archery....but if you use a particular bow for target shooting, doesn't that make it your "target bow"? If you shoot a 90# Howard Hill longbow, but never hunt with it and only shoot targets with it, is it still a "hunting bow"? If you have a bow set up olympic style, but have only hunted with it, which category does it go in?

For me, if I owned a dozen bows set up FITA style (I don't) I wouldn't call them my FITA bows simply because I don't participate in that sport. If I called them "my FITA bows" it would imply I participate in something when I don't.

FWIW, my main hunting bow and my main target bow are the same--just different points on the arrows. Guess I'll call it "my target bow" during 3-D season, and "my hunting bow" during hunting season.:rolleyes: Should we have a separate sub-category for my bowfishing bow (which I have shot some tournaments with), or would it fall into the general "hunting bow" category?:confused:

Ok, I admit it--I'm bored--it just struck me as funny. (My apologies in advance to "Ghost" for my sense of humor.:tongue:)

Chad
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
164 Posts
LBR,

OK, I'll bite here. I was over the top if the attempt was merely good-hearted fun, and I apologize if I missed that and it was.

However, I have seen the Viper pilloried and pounded for trying to help people and share his knowledge, and may times he is right i.e. Accunocks.

So, when someone comes along to try and help beginners and intermediates wade through the morass of mis-information I feel defensive towards him and his attempts.

I wish he the internet was around and when I started, I would have saved much money and time by listening to guys like you and him.

I applaud his efforts and any creative endeavors in the archery field.

Since 3-d is your thing, why not write a book about it yourself? I assure you it will sell and I'd probably buy a copy myself.

Cheers,

Ghost

· Registered
7,101 Posts
A hunting bow is one you hunt with, a target bow is one you do targets with. For some of us it is one in the same. I probably would'nt go into the woods with a shiney gloss finish bow without a cover of some sort to dull it down. Other than finish I see no difference.

· Premium Member
5,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I appreciate that Ghost--no harm, no foul. It's no secret that there's no love lost between Viper and myself--a big reason is because I am an avid 3-D archer and his comments concerning 3-D archery in general have always been....less than flattering..... but that's a whole 'nother story. Even so, it doesn't mean I won't poke fun (at anyone) when the opportunity arises. That one was just too good to pass up.

I don't agree with a lot of his opinions, but that's why they are opinions. He has given some solid advice as well--the trick (with him, me, or anyone else) is being able to sort between facts and opinions. I try to make it clear when I state an opinion, and I try to stick with topics where I have at least some experience before I throw in my two cents.

I have no desire whatsoever to write a book--about 3-D, or anything else. I have shot a lot of tournaments over the years, in several different states, and even won a few big ones here and there...but I'm far from being any kind of expert, and don't feel the least bit qualified to put what I've learned in writing--especially when there are much, much more qualified archers who've done much, much more in and for the sport than I ever will. I reckon the best I'll do is try to answer a question here or there on a message board.

I did participate in a DVD on a topic where I do have at least above average experience and understanding, a bit over three years ago. Stores like Kustom King, 3 Rivers Archery, BCY Fibers, etc. carry it. This only happened after a lot of goading from a lot of people, and because as far as I know there was no video that covered it in nearly enough detail. It was fun, but I'm in no hurry to do it again. I say that just so you understand there's no insecurity or envy in my humor--been there, done that already--it's really no big deal. When someone wants a signed copy, it can swell your head for about six seconds, but in the end I still have to pay the same entry fee as everyone else when I shoot in a tournament.

Thanks again, and sorry if I offended you.

Chad

· Registered
500 Posts
I don't shoot much spots anymore but I have a bow set up for that. That's a target bow. It's red with black limb pockets and a red string. The bow is truly evil. It also breaths fire and eats babies. :tongue:

Now most of my target stuff I do is some 3D and mostly broadhead, I shoot my hunting bow because I'm shooting my hunting arrows that are matched to my hunting bow because mostly I'm shooting the broadhead course with the broadheads I hunt with.

· Registered
164 Posts
LBR,

No offense taken, no harm, no foul either. Once again, I apologize for the acerbic comments, for not seeing the jest, though I was aware of the long running joust.

I am just a hunting archer always looking to improve my archery. Glad to mend fences.

Ghost

· Registered
2,119 Posts
I have a hunting bow that I will sometimes shoot at (Traditonal Bowhunter) type competitions,but not to often.
My main target bow is set up for the sole purpose of shooting targets.
The differences are my hunting bow is 62" long, 50lb, has a bow quiver on it at all times,is shot off the shelf, an shoots a 530-580g arrow,the aim is to kill things at close range.
My target bow is 66" long,42lb,has an elevated rest and shoots a 320-350g arrow,the aim is winning in competition.
Both are set up spicificly for their given purpose,both work very well.

· Registered
389 Posts
In my opinion anything I shoot at is a "Target" foam, paper or flesh. So every bow I have is "Target bow". When hunting I prefer a bow that is silenced and not bright and glossy and easily managed in the woods. Other than that there is not much difference for me.

· Registered
1,255 Posts
This is actually a REALLY good question.

First of all, the old adage comes to mind, "Fear the man with one bow."

Here is a way I think about it: If you can kill anything in North America with 45lbs (really 40lbs if you hunt instead of hope) and most Olympic archers seldom shoot anything more than about 42lbs, then why not use one bow for both?

However, many people like a shorter bow for hunting, and target archers like the stability of a longer bow. But, more and more people are finding the advantages of a longer bow for hunting too.

Back in Howard Hill's day, bows had to be heavy weights to get the same cast as the lighter weight bows do today. On the other hand, there is the physical weight of the bow to consider when hunting or stumping IE....how much do we want to carry around all day?

So, my opinion (and that's all it is) is to first find a bow that 'fits' properly - handling, appropriate draw-weight etc. Then decide what is the priority...(indoor/outdoor targets, 3D, hunting) and then try to find ONE bow that will do it all, or set up 2 bows that will be dedicated to each, and learn to shoot one as good as the other.

There is no reason why you can't use a FITA bow for hunting. Lots of people use them for 3D now, and have them setup to shoot off the shelf for traditional divisions. Companies are now making dedicated risers and longbow limbs too for this purpose too. Or you can use an old-style target/hunting recurve for FITA targets, like they did back in my day.

· Registered
11,287 Posts
Ultimately...it's up to who is using it and what they are using it for if it's their hunting bow and/or target bow...BUT...there can be generalizations made by just looking at a bow.

For example...If I saw a metal riser bow with a glossy finish, an elevated rest, cushion plunger, 3 foot stabilizer, draws only 40lbs. and a clicker...I would say the bow has a high probabilty of being used as a target bow.

And if I saw a recurve with a camoflauge finish or dull finish being shot off of the shelf, using string sliencers and draws 50lbs. plus...I would say it's highly likely it a hunting bow.

You can't always judge a book by it's cover...what one person thinks is a target bow...may very well be someone's hunting bow and vice versa.

Ray ;)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.