Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at buying a new white tail hunting bow this spring or summer. Bows I'm considering are the 2016 or 2015 obsessions that are 32" ata. Also a few Mathews bows: chill original with rock mods, z2, z3, and halon. I have a 28" draw and looking at 60lb limbs. No hoyts, too many of my friends have them and that's all they talk about so I want something different. What's everyone's opinions on the bows I'm considering?

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
I would consider the longer axle to axle of the Chill R or X unless you want to keep it shorter on purpose. The rock mods are a must IMO if you like a solid back wall. If you don't mind the extra price I would shoot the Halon though.

·
Registered
244 Posts
You need to go out and shoot them and see what you like best. This is a pretty generic question like which car should I buy Mercedes, honda, ford, toyota? I would definitely check out the obsessions though and the halon

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I definatly plan on shooting them all in the near future, wanted to get some pros and cons before hand tho. I am going to have a hard time spending 1,000 on a new bow tho when I can get one a year or 2 old for half the price. Money is not an issue, the wife gave me the go ahead to spend whatever lol, but the less I spend on the bow the more I can spend on accessories and other hunting items.

·
Registered
10,587 Posts
The best thing to do is to block out what your friends are telling you. Go shoot a bunch of bows including Hoyts and decide from there.

·
Registered
997 Posts
Just shoot everything, there most likely will be a bow that you may not have ever considered that just calls your name.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
I narrowed down to xpedition and obsession before I decided on the xpedition. I've own the chill r and it was nice but nothing compared to my xpedition. I decided to steer vlear of the obsession due to rediculous wait times and horror story's of their CS. I have zero complaints with xpedition, all their bows are great and their CS is top notch.

·
Registered
9,218 Posts
Looking at buying a new white tail hunting bow this spring or summer. Bows I'm considering are the 2016 or 2015 obsessions that are 32" ata. Also a few Mathews bows: chill original with rock mods, z2, z3, and halon. I have a 28" draw and looking at 60lb limbs. No hoyts, too many of my friends have them and that's all they talk about so I want something different. What's everyone's opinions on the bows I'm considering?
I have never shot an Obsession Bow, but I hunt with a Mathews Z7 and it is a great hunting Bow. Mathews makes good Bows. I have also shot Hoyt Bows that I liked.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Whatever you decide on, test shoot your top 3 or 4 to make sure it's what you're looking for! But along with that, look at a bowtech as well

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

·
Mark
5,696 Posts
2015 used bowtech prodigy is in my future. I don't understand you lack of considering a Hoyt? They make a very good and reliable bow in my opinion, mine has been bulletproof.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for all your responses, can't wait to get to some shops and start shooting to find my bow. A few friends shot all the Hoyt's at the ata show this year and none of them really impressed them compared to the new Mathews, obsessions, and elites. But that's just a personal opinion. I'm just ready to go try some out soon!

·
Is it October 1st yet??!!
1,687 Posts
I'd look into Bears. I hear great things about the Arena series and the new Escape.

·
Registered
345 Posts
I just went through what your doing now. Shot them all. Ended up with 2015 Evolution. Nothing could touch it for me. And the price was right. Saved $400 by buying a gently used 2015. Shoots as good as my brothers m6.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I just went through what your doing now. Shot them all. Ended up with 2015 Evolution. Nothing could touch it for me. And the price was right. Saved $400 by buying a gently used 2015. Shoots as good as my brothers m6.
^^^what he said. I shot them all at the local shop. Obsession has a smooth draw, super solid back wall, fast but not jumpy, sweet color combinations. Look around AT and you're sure to find a 2015 Evolution for $500-$600.

·
Registered
13,750 Posts
the obsessions are very nice bows, you wont regret them,,, and for all the whiners about obsession wait time, they are getting them out pretty danged fast and have been for awhile,, but when you order a custom bow your just plain dumb if you don't think your going to have to wait for it,
even at that the last several obsessions i have ordered have been delivered within a week, which is about the same time it takes me to get a bow from pse ! the most recent custom order i made from obsession was delivered in less than 3 weeks and the ATA show was part of the reason it took that long,

·
Registered
6,971 Posts
Go to a pro shop and shoot a few different bows, and decide.
What others think and what your friends shoot and think is not that important.

·
Bowhunt/Homebrew have FUN
24,464 Posts
Have a few nice rigs in your field of interest, but I wouldn't sleep on Prime or Elite - shoot the Rize and the Synergy or Impulse and you will see what I mean. I agree with the others who have said, when you shoot "the right" bow, you'll know it....don't get too bogged down on who makes it....

FYI - there will be a super sweet, custom 2015 Elite Synergy hitting the classifieds soon:wink::zip:

Joe

·
Free spirit
2,926 Posts
I definatly plan on shooting them all in the near future, wanted to get some pros and cons before hand tho. I am going to have a hard time spending 1,000 on a new bow tho when I can get one a year or 2 old for half the price. Money is not an issue, the wife gave me the go ahead to spend whatever lol, but the less I spend on the bow the more I can spend on accessories and other hunting items.
I've got a Fusion 7, 28/60 with rest and quiver listed, if you are interested.

http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?t=3475098

1 - 20 of 24 Posts