Archery Talk Forum banner

Hunting camps and back yard bucks

925 Views 4 Replies 5 Participants Last post by  ar1458
I loved my 33 acre camp and cabin, 70 miles from home, Steuben County, N.Y. But..... the taxes went up every year, people poaching, Farmer deer permits. Dec gives farmers permits to kill deer in the spring, I'm turkey hunting in May and the farmer's friends are shooting does, for everyone they shoot, they also take out two Spring fawns. Very few deer in the woods. Sold the land, saved gas money, and now have piece of mind. BACK YARD BUCKS........Put up a couple of tree stands in my 1/2 acre woods in my back yard, and found heaven. I have been shooting nice bucks and big does. I have a very large county park across the street and in November they cruise through my little woods. Anyone else hunt in the suburbs? Do your States give out the nuience deer permits?
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
10,204 Posts
Don't get the nuisance permits, but LOVE the suburb bucks! Definently a different type of hunting. Just as difficult, but in different ways. And the rewards.......................can be OH SO SWEET!

But, I do oftentimes miss the tranquility that I use to get from being atop a hardwood ridge miles from the closest house or road. Only thing I ever heard was a passing airplane.

· Registered
875 Posts
I also hunt backyard residental bucks but I have to deal with hikers, dirtbikes, atv, pistol range , antihunters ,kids playing in the woods , people ripping down the posted signs I put up and I have to drive 1 hour one direction to do this but it is worth it ...multiple tags for bucks and does on LI ...all my years of hunting I never passed up 100 class deer , now I do thanks to trail camera's letting me know there are bigger ones if nobody steal my cameras ( 4 stolen in three years ) ...price of doing business ...I do miss the catskill mountains.....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.