Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Purchasing some new hunting clothing, base layers and outer jacket and pants. Need help with what to buy to stay warm. I freeze hunting late season. I’m gonna keep my scent lok gear for early and beginning of mid season. I’ve read a little on First lite and stuff seems legit. Is this recommended over sitka etc. also how should I layer? I currently use a Cabela’s Under Armour type base, scent lok mid and then my scent lok outer jacket and pants. Really hoping for some responses to save money/time on this. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
892 Posts
Cant go wrong with first lite or sitka. I only have first light base layer bottoms but they’re great. I have a bunch of sitka gear and its awesome, definitely worth the price. Not sure what temps you’re looking at hunting in but the fanatic set and celcius stuff is good for colder weather.

·
Registered
3,416 Posts
Go to Sitka’s website and look around.

Then call Bean Outdoors on this site he can help you a lot.

I use First Lite for first layer then Sitka the rest of the way.

·
Padawan
2,371 Posts
Midway USA has FL heavily discounted for clearance. I highly recommend their merino base layers. Sanctuary bibs are awsome, very warm. I love their Woodbury jacket.

Is FL better than SITKA? Thems fighting words, LOL I'd say Sitka has the advantage in overall veriety and specialty items. FL has them beat with their merino stuff.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So sounds like FL for merino baselayer and Sitka mid and outer? Lol being in the south I have never really seen much of the Sitka or FL but seems like it’s being introduced more

·
Registered
2,521 Posts
Purchasing some new hunting clothing, base layers and outer jacket and pants. Need help with what to buy to stay warm. I freeze hunting late season. I’m gonna keep my scent lok gear for early and beginning of mid season. I’ve read a little on First lite and stuff seems legit. Is this recommended over sitka etc. also how should I layer? I currently use a Cabela’s Under Armour type base, scent lok mid and then my scent lok outer jacket and pants. Really hoping for some responses to save money/time on this. Thanks!

I’m on multiple buy, sell and trade pages on FB. I’ve seen many complaints about FL and how it tears up easily. The wool anyway. I can’t speak from experience though, just what others have posted. I use Sitka and it’s great stuff.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Does Sitka have a base layer like wool or is it more of an Under Armour type?

·
Hunter of many things
12,113 Posts
Does Sitka have a base layer like wool or is it more of an Under Armour type?

Trust me dont buy anything but merino wool for against your skin. first lite and minus 33 are the best options imo. Sitka doesnt compare when it comes to “next to the skin”. I cant believe how much warmer it is than the UA cold gear stuff.

·
Registered
465 Posts
I used to never stay warm. Tonight was temps of 10* with wind chills sub zero. I stayed plenty warm. Here's what I wore.

Base layer: dufold long underwear, mostly wool.
2nd layer : fleece bibs with a fleece pull over
3rd layer: quilted military pants (under $10 ebay) and an uncompahge vest up top.
Outer layer: first lite sanctuary set.
Feet: liner socks with a wool over top inside lacrosse iceman
Thin merino face mask under a story kromer rancher hat.
No gloves, stuck hand warmers in my pockets.

This was the max clothing I could wear. I was out for 3hrs and got a doe for the freezer.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
I agree with staying away with UA as a base layer.... Merino wool as a base layer is the way to go.

·
Leggo My Eggo
3,913 Posts
I’m on multiple buy, sell and trade pages on FB. I’ve seen many complaints about FL and how it tears up easily. The wool anyway. I can’t speak from experience though, just what others have posted. I use Sitka and it’s great stuff.

I haven't owned a bunch of FL stuff besides the accessories but the merino brimmed beanie I have tore on both sides of the brim where the brim meets the beanie. I've only worn the beanie about a dozen times over the 3yrs I've owned it and I'm not hard on my stuff at all. The Sitka stuff I own I like much better than the FL,

·
Padawan
2,371 Posts
Yes merino can be fragile, that's why you wear it as a base layer. Can't wash and dry it like normal clothes but you really don't need to wash it much.

FL Aerowool is a merino/synthetic blend and a bit more durable.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10,486 Posts
Merino wool base layers and fleece and then down or a synthetic like primaloft. Outer layer has to be windproof and quiet. Sitka makes great stuff as does Gray Wolf woolens. Gray Wolf is custom fit to your specs. I will say without a doubt the best clothing i have ever owned is the Gray Wolf wolfskin. Had the same stuff for over 15 years and it still looks great. I also own a lot of Sitka and it fits me perfect right out of the package. Not a fan of the first lite stuff. Just better options that are more durable. Minus 33 makes great merino base layers as well. For the warmest stuff you can buy get the gray wolf with comfortmax and lite loft lining. Just like a sleeping bag.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I have Sitka fanatic coat bibs. Very expensive. I bought one each year to break up price along with gift card for gifts. Not saying it's the best on earth just what I have. First layer is Sitka heavyweight baselayers. Black Friday sale top and bottom for $50. Wool sweater and lightweight down vest $20 thrift store. Bottoms I wear early season scent lok pants under bibs. I wear a pair of muck arctic boots. They dont breath very well so i spray feet with unscented anti persperant. Neck gaiter/warmer and thicker stocking hat. Some soft leather gloves with hand warmers on backside of hands work great to keep hands warm. This keeps myself warm down below zero. I'm also a little warm blooded. Be sure to eat a good meal before your sit. Helps body produce it's own heat. For extended sits bring a thermos of hot coffee/tea or even just got water. Keeps the boiler room warm.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I really like my FL sanctuary bibs and coat. They are warm and quiet and the sleeves are cut for archers. Merino base layers are wonderful and can be had at significant discounts if you are patient.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I am starting to buy some new gear also, I just ordered some Sitka gear. I love threads like this, a lot of great info. Thanks guys.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
18,258 Posts
UA is for looks only, you will freeze your a-- off in it. It SUCKS!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts