Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So this is my first bow hunt and my first big game hunt and I am looking at getting some clothing. I am 6'3" and 180 lbs and so I was thinking going with some Sitka gear since they have medium long sizes. I am having a hard time telling if other peoples clothes would fit me very well. I have gone hunting with other people the last two years, and done squirrel in the fall and have generally been temperature miserable. I bought some nice boots last year and WOW that made a huge difference when I tried bear hunting since that was over the counter. Now id like to get some nicer clothing.

I will be in unit 45 of New Mexico, probably around 8,000 feet of elevation for the Elk Hunt. The problem is that I could hunt lower like 6,000 or even higher at 10,000. That is a very big elevation difference. I also have a January Oryx hunt but it is a little more south in the state and lower elevation. January this year was low to high of 25 F to 65 F in the area I will be hunting Oryx. So not to cold, but very windy.

What sort of clothing do you think I should get? I was thinking from Sitka getting a Core Lightweight Hoody and the Sitka Jetstream Jacket. Do you think that jacket will be too warm? For pants I was thinking the Timberline.

I'm not sure if I am going to need two different sets or really how to optimize this. I have some cheaper clothes from Cabelas already, but everything is short for me so when I sit and glass the small of my back hangs out, and my backpack digs into the belt that I am wearing around my pants.

·
Corripe Cervisiam
21,832 Posts
The Kuiu pants should fit you....I'm 6'4" and they fit me....

The Attack is a good option....I run warm and think the Kutanas are going to be a little better for me mostly hunting at 10,000' plus in NM.

I also have the Sitka pants- 2 styles from many years ago.......both good too. The heavy Sitka mountain pants are too warm for me unless its snowing or something.

Its individual preference, I know guys that wear the Sitka Mountain pants with LJ's under....when I'm wearing the light Kuiu- different strokes.

________

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The Kuiu pants should fit you....I'm 6'4" and they fit me....

The Attack is a good option....I run warm and think the Kutanas are going to be a little better for me mostly hunting at 10,000' plus in NM.

I also have the Sitka pants- 2 styles from many years ago.......both good too. The heavy Sitka mountain pants are too warm for me unless its snowing or something.

Its individual preference, I know guys that wear the Sitka Mountain pants with LJ's under....when I'm wearing the light Kuiu- different strokes.

________
Thanks this helps a ton. I’ll check out the Kuiu pants. It’s good to hear the opinion from someone hunting New Mexico.

·
Corripe Cervisiam
21,832 Posts
Thanks this helps a ton. I’ll check out the Kuiu pants. It’s good to hear the opinion from someone hunting New Mexico.

there's elk at all elevations...somehow we end up at high elevation every year.

FWIW, you will get all sorts of opinions on this....and they are all right! It ha a lot to do with how your body is; My bro in law puts a sweater on in 62 degree weather.....I might be sweating with a sweater.

My hunt buddy is really thin...about 6'2" 160. He wears LJ's on everything but the hottest days. Different strokes.

The new Kuiu Attacks are 18 oz fabric.....and they breath well, dry quick and shed water especially if you run them in Soft-shell proof. This weight is the go to for the avg bowhunter. My [old] sitka assault pants are lighter and stretchier.

The Kutana are 13.5 oz fabric. Plenty heavy for me....might not be ideal for the avg guy.

I also have the lighter weight Kuiu pants...an older version of the Tiburons which I swear are lighter than the listed 12oz now [ I think the older ones were more like 9-10oz] with tiny holes n the fabric to breath. These would be too light for even me...figure on 32 to 36 degree mornings leaving camp in the dark. I'm typically shivering a little for the first 1/4 mile...but then I'm glad I don't have to stop and strip off a jacket, I typically wear 2 shirts pretty much all day; a Short sleeve merino 140 wt under a same weight LS Camo shirt of poly or merino.

Weather varies wildly when you are that high....we got snow for a day and colder than a witches you-know- what in the morning last year in N NM.........then I wear the heavier mountain pant...or LJ's under the light pant....and a polar fleece mid layer.

Always nice to have light gloves like the merino...and a heavier glove at camp. Nice to have gaiters too...keeps your feet dry from water wicking into your boots. I think the Kuiu Rain gear is the best and use the NX and Chugash depending...but Marmot PreCip is good...as is something like Space rain. Both of the last 2 can be found on sale regularly.

The one year 2006 I think, I backpacked in to some buddies horse camp in the Wiminuche about 8 miles in and camped at 11,600', it snowed for 3 straight days....about 20" of snow holding...white out for 2 days in mid Sept. Light pants and LJ's and I was fine...with a mid layer and my rain jacket....but we didn't hunt in the really bad weather, instead waiting for it to break.

Are you fired up yet? -Grin. I can't wait. This is the one you want...solo hunt- light rain calling solo with my decoy,, and an all day affair to get him out of that hole I was in- literally 12 hours of processing and meat packing. [ I sometimes wear that thin leafy cover- not as much anymore]
bull front red1.jpg

I mention a lot of Kuiu stuff....they are closeby and I like to support hunting companies. You don't need expensive gear though.

Synthetic and breathable is good. Costco sells a solid color pant a lot of guys swear by....nylon blend...for like $16. I have some Eddie Bauer pants on sale for $45 that would work for me about 10oz fabric...might be light for others. Russel LJ's are $12 at Walmart. Lots of good options. The cotton camo is even good for those hot days....but it sucks and doesn't dry on crummy days....better to go synthetic or merino and layer up. A guy can save a fortune if he shops around.

if you have any other questions, just ping me....glad to help.

___

____

·
Bluff Country Bowhunter
2,385 Posts
I'm about the same size, probably slightly skinnier. Depending on how hot/cold you run, the Timberlines might be a bit warm. I know they would be for me. The Mountain Pants are awesome and what I would wear for New Mexico archery. I've heard the Apex are great too but don't have any experience with them. Bring a pair of base layer bottoms if there's a bit of early morning chill, but hiking in the mountains will warm you up quickly. If backpack hunting I'd go without the Jetstream, if going from the truck every day I might bring it. But something like the Mountain or Timberline Jacket are lighter weight options that block the wind really well. Core Lightweight Hoody is a great base layer. I wear the First Lite Wick a lot too -- just depends if you're a merino or synthetic guy.

For sizing, I wear a Med-Tall in the base layer tops but jackets seem to be too small so I wear a large or Lg-Tall.

My early season mountain clothing list looks something like this:

Sitka Core Lightweight Hoody or First Lite Wick Crew
Sitka Heavyweight Hoody (possibly trade out for Timberline Jacket)
First Lite Uncompahgre 2.0 Jacket
Black Ovis Merino Boxer
First Lite Fuse Bottoms
Sitka Mountain Pants
Sitka Cloudburst Jacket and Pant
Sitka Ascent Gloves
First Lite Aerowool Neck Gaiter
First Lite Tag Cuff Beanie

·
Vendor
52 Posts
I love my first lite merino wool... I am 6'3'' and 190 and the large have plenty of length... even in sleeves and I shoot a 31 in draw. A couple layers can go a long way for temperature regulation between hiking and glassing. I also like that it has a finish that doesn't glare or shine like some others.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks everyone, this is the info I was hooding for. I’ll take some more looking at the first light stuff. Seems a couple of similar builds to me are liking that as well.

·
Registered
21 Posts
What Beendare said. It's going to be warm during the day and cold at night, with some unpredictable weather scattered throughout. Dress in layers with technical apparel, but you don't need to break the bank. GMU 45 has some pretty gnarly technical terrain. Good luck!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts