Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently attained some hunting ground that is mostly cow pasture. I was wondering how the cattle would effect the deer movement. There are alot of trees for me to get on and alot of pinch points for the deer. I have never hunted a cattle pasture before so let me know what you think!

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
I have taken a few deer in pastures. If it is an established pasture that has had cattle in it for a while the deer will be used to them but will probably not come too close if the cattle are close to your stand at the time.

·
Registered
2,769 Posts
I see deer right in with the cow heards most the time...like they were cows too. I dont think it changes a thing. now I have seen deer and horses fighting though.

·
Registered
3,382 Posts
Don't worry about it.They are use to each other.The only problem is when you are hunting and you have 20 cows around your stand.They can be a pain sometimes.

·
Registered
949 Posts
Ive never hunted without cattle. Had an old bossie ***** that would follow me on a stalk. Blunt fixed that.

·
Registered
535 Posts
I hunted some pastures in the past If the deer would come close to the cows the cows would chase them away. At times the deer would circle around the cows.

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
Don't worry about it.They are use to each other.The only problem is when you are hunting and you have 20 cows around your stand.They can be a pain sometimes.
Yep, I am with this guy. Hunting an orchard in a cow pasture last year and man were those cows annoying

·
Registered
4,240 Posts
try not to let the cows see you, because they will make a b-line to you and stare and moo at you the whole time. happened to me a couple years ago. good luck!
HA Ha ..They will give you away ,same thing happed to me on the ground ..Stay still and after a while they will go back to doing what ever they were doing before...They will also, look at other animals ,so if you see them looking in one direction you something is there..

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
I have hunted around cows all my life, they will make you a better hunter for sure. If you can slip around them youll have no problem with the deer.

·
Registered
4,572 Posts
try not to let the cows see you, because they will make a b-line to you and stare and moo at you the whole time. happened to me a couple years ago. good luck!
Most definitely, had a hereford coming running to the tree I was in and stand there bawling and scratching herself on the base of the tree the whole time.

·
Registered
3,669 Posts
It's a tough hunt for sure..but here in florida I hunt in pastures quite a bit. Deer usually avoid them here...but cows will give you away in a second.

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
Cattle suck. Noisy darn things will taunt you all day and the deer dont care to be around them due to all their noise either.

If the cattle are in the same area as the stand I want to hunt, I hunt another stand. Ive noticed the same with our mule deer too. Its not that the cattle pick on them or chase them, the deer just dont want to be around them and will leave an area as long as the beefs there.

·
Banned
3,872 Posts
I have a real good spot that has cows on it. If they r close the deer stay away. But if the cows r by the gate or bails the deer love my spot. Only good cow is a steak on my plate.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts