Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off, I'm not passing judgement. I'm new to bows as well as bowhunting. Spent my first day big game hunting last weekend for elk in Central Oregon. Found fresh droppings and a good place to do some "early season elk calling" ala Jim Horn. Just when I was getting ready to toot, off in the distance comes the sound of a 4-wheeler - and I figured it was all over. I am wondering why people bowhunt for elk on ATVs. Seems to me that any elk in the area would be aware of them a long time before the hunter gets in the vicinity of his quarry - and would be on its way to the next county. Am I wrong here? Or am I correct in assuming that hunting in an area accessed by ATVs is a waste of time? Hey, if I'm wrong, I can take my licks - correct me and educate me. Thanks, fred.

·
Registered
780 Posts
here in northern idaho, there is so much logging, atv riding/camping, the elk don't pay much attenion to them. i have been working bulls in the past and when they hear a atv, they stop bugleing, but 5 min after it's gone they start bugleing again. it just depends on how much traffic your area has during the summer. if there are lost of atv's all summer then it shouldn't bother them much. in fact last season my buddies release broke and he came looking for me, to use my extra. he rode within 300yds. of where i was working a hot bull,
as he rode by the bull shut up but it wasn't 3 min after he left that the bull started again. also i have rode in and shut off my atv and 10 sec. later a bull bugles less than 150yds. away. it just depends on what the elk in your area are used to.

·
Registered
349 Posts
"Hunting elk with an ATV?"

Personally, I would think you'd have better luck hunting them with a bow :wink:

Sorry...couldn't resist!

·
Registered
780 Posts
i've heard people have had good luck with the front end of a pick up. a little messy but no tracking needed.

·
Registered
726 Posts
Actually, very few elk own ATVs, and usually only ride them when no one is around. They are easier to find, because they make noise even when they are not bugling, but they are very hard to catch up with.

·
Blade Maker
640 Posts
My hunting partner killed a 5pt bull last year after riding past him on his atv. After hunting all morning we were heading back to camp and saw this bull 40 yards off the road up a hill. We went a good quarter mile past the bull like we didn't see him and parked. Then we walked slowley around behind the bull and he took an easy 30 yard shot while he was still bedded down.

·
Smilin' Bob
25,077 Posts
There are some that do it, but they are the exception...rather than the rule. You're odds will increase alot if you get off or away from the ATVs and roads.

·
Registered
8,821 Posts
I agree with above post. Deer and elk depending on the area see, hear, trucks atv's snowmobiles etc. and many times it has little or no effect on them. It's when you get off the vehicle etc. that they turn and run. Many times they look at what I'm driving and stop and stare. :D

Attachments

·
eyes and arrows
3,682 Posts
4 wheelers

in my onpinion, it is dumb to ride a four wheeler. no matter what is said it is going to scare off a lot of game--and if not they will be aware of your presence and less likely to come in.

besides with gas as high as it is it is not economic--water is basically free. hike your ass of--it will be rewarded in the long run.

in wyoming the non-residents (from the state west and south of wyoming) come in groves on four wheelers. the best is to get above them and they will push all the game from 4-wheeler accessable roads to you.

i dont doubt that one or two fourwheelers a day may not scare them. but these guys come in packs. and their are a lot of them. if you are will ing to hike--do it.

·
Registered
19,452 Posts
IF trails are legal for them, I dont have a problem. But last year we busted our butts to walk 4 or 5 miles in and get to the elk in the canyons only to have people on 4 ATV's come bustin in on the old trails which makes it illegal (but who is going to do anything?) and you think that doesnt piss you off???!!!!! I heard they were the "locals" and if you messed with the bikes, they'd get paybacks. So, you're screwed..... I wont say I wanted to shoot them off their bikes as that wouldnt sound good here.
They have their time and place but when people are too dam lazy to walk to places for elk......then shame on em. :mad: :zip:

·
Registered
42 Posts
Well Fred, my can is still burning from the last time I posted anything about ATV’s and road hunting in general, so all I’m going to say here is that I also hunt in Central and Eastern Oregon and yes I have seen first hand the effects that ATV’s and vehicles in general are having on the Elk herds, during the Rut in particular. But rather than me expressing my views and having someone take it as though I’m down on ATV’s or trying to influence your opinion, I will instead direct you to the local Game Biologist for the unit that you’re hunting in. Talk to the people that spend their life out there with these critters, and ask for the data that they have collected about road closures, and the effects that ATV and vehicle access are having. These people are readily available and have a wealth of unbiased knowledge and are more than willing to share it with you, so take advantage of it.
Then make your own decision based on the facts rather than emotion or justification for spending thousands of dollars for the use of a toy. :zip:

http://www.dfw.state.or.us/

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
There is a time and a place for a 4-wheeler. I think hunting elk off one is a waste of time. They are very handey for scouting and getting the elk out. If the area you were hunting is closed to motor vechiles "like all of Oregon is" I would have called the OSP and reported it. If they were on a legal road you should get farther away for the road before calling.

I had the same problem with 4-wheelers last year. I dont think it was people hunting as much as just having a good time. China Hat is the worst.

Good luck this year

·
Registered
16,392 Posts
Jerry/NJ said:
IF trails are legal for them, I dont have a problem. But last year we busted our butts to walk 4 or 5 miles in and get to the elk in the canyons only to have people on 4 ATV's come bustin in on the old trails which makes it illegal (but who is going to do anything?) and you think that doesnt piss you off???!!!!! I heard they were the "locals" and if you messed with the bikes, they'd get paybacks. So, you're screwed..... I wont say I wanted to shoot them off their bikes as that wouldnt sound good here.
They have their time and place but when people are too dam lazy to walk to places for elk......then shame on em. :mad: :zip:
I'm with you 100 percent on this one Jerry....

All is you have to do (if they do decide to get off and walk) is find out where they are parked and pull the fuel line from the tank...Oh thats right then they would have to walk...

·
Registered
8,821 Posts
If above situation happened (illegal use of ATV) after I have walked miles I would be upset as well but if they get caught they lose their high dollar "toy".

On the other hand if I am legally using my ATV and weapon in posession I pity the guy that would "attempt to steal" my investment.

Most serious elk hunters know that "by the foot" is the way to go but you have some older guys and handicap guys that can benefit from atv use provided they are following the law and stay on the designated trails. The place I hunt I drive my truck and then climb what seems like miles to hunt, but I have hunted areas where you can drive an ATV and only an ATV to get where I need to start walking for miles so there are some benefits. As far as damage do you ever hear anybody complain about the cattle making trails that then wash out? Let's use a little sense here.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts