Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
went out archery hunting for the 1st time this year tonight and killed a little doe, we have unlimited doe tags so doing my part for conservation!!:D i had one of the most enjoyable evenings on stand that i have had. about 5:30 a 1 1/2 old 6 ptr and a bigger probably 2 1/2 yr old 6 ptr came by at 20 yards and started feeding in the clover field. the bigger 6 proceeded to work 4 scrapes on the edge of the field, raking the brush w/ his horns as he went. a little while later another small 6 ptr came out and smelled his scrape. he got ticked!! laid his ears back and started walking sideways towards the other small 6 ptr. they proceeded to whipping the tar out of one another off and on for 45 minutes!! i couldnt help but laugh out loud!!:p these buck were within 40 yards of me doing all this for probably an hour. im holding out for a bigger buck so just enjoyed the show. about 10 minutes before dark i turn and look into the woods and see a small doe, just as soon as i pick my bow up momma starts blowing and blowing and blowing. the little un jumped out of my shooting lane and i thought she was gone so i lowered my bow and started down in my climber. i got halfway down and saw her standing 25 yards away. so i pulled my bow up, knocked an arrow and shot her!! i had nothing but a small pin light w/ me and had a hard time finding blood so went to the truck. this is where the title of my thread comes in. im hunting public land and two guys were coming out the same time i was so i asked em to borrow a flashlight. they asked if i shot one and i said yes, they both said "lets go find it!!" they helped me trail it, and drag it out. hunting folks are the best!! i appreciated their help and realize there are some good folks out there. sorry so long, had a good night huntin as always. easton94

·
74,535 Posts
Amen

Great story. Dont care what time of night. My buddies call and deer down up I go. Nice to here good storys on hunters.

·
Registered
11,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ill tell the rest of the story as well i almost forgot. when i got to my stand i had been there for probably 45 minutes and a guy comes walking down the field so i whistle and wave to him, and he turns around and leaves. i turned around and looked all around me and 50 yards away there is a portable treestand hanging there. come to find out the guys that helped me is the same guy that walked in on me. when i found that out i apologized because i did not see the stand when i got there, if i had i would have moved on. the guy said hey no problem theres plenty of room out here. i say again, hunting folks are the best. you cant hardly pull over to help change a tire for someone for fear they are going to rob you, but you can trust fellow hunters to go out into the dark woods w/ weapons to help each other out w/ absolutely no worries. easton94

·
Registered
6 Posts
Great post.. If we could just get every hunter to read this we would be all set. Great Job to everyone that helps a fellow hunter in need. Also great job on the ethics and curtosy shown by your fellow hunters, He is right there is plenty of room out there.

·
Registered
10 Posts
That's great!

Along the same lines, I was really worried when I started hunting with my SO that I would not be exactly welcome due to the fact that I'm a woman.

That's been far from the case. The hunters I have met have been extremely helpful, friendly and accomodating. Good people. :)

·
Registered
81 Posts
I could not agree more.

I pretty much had the same thing happen to me after I took my first archery deer last year.

I was hunting from the ground and after the shot I decided to take some of my gear back to the truck and give the deer time to expire. On my way out I came across a father and son who had came in after me and they offered to help me drag my deer out. Not only did they help me drag the deer out the father field dressed my deer for me in exchange for the tarsal glands. You just can't ask for a better breed of people.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts