Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many of you have had an experience where you are hunting for elk or deer and you stumble upon a black bear and bag that instead of an elk or deer?

·
Registered
8,069 Posts
I've heard that happens with wolves alot

·
Smilin' Bob
25,077 Posts
Well, I've never gone bear hunting, but have killed a few as targets of opportunity.

·
RJ
3,300 Posts
I don't specifically go out and hunt these nocturnal, brush loving, non-cooperative Western Washington Blacktail, but will take one when elk hunting if he won't get out of my way. Looking forward to hunting Montana this year where there are both Whitetail and Mule Deer where I hunt elk.

·
Registered
4,974 Posts
I'll be in Montana with both tags as well!

Around here, our archery tags allow us a deer and a turkey....and if you have a small game liscense, your open to all that pertains to that as well.

·
Registered
7,771 Posts
How many of you have had an experience where you are hunting for elk or deer and you stumble upon a black bear and bag that instead of an elk or deer?
Yep. That's the nice thing about archery seasons. They normally coincide with most species at the same time. I killed my first Blacktail buck while elk hunting. We were watching the elk on the other side of the clear cut and there he was just feeding 50 yards away. I stuck him and continued after the elk. =)

In WA I always have a deer, bear and cougar tag in my pocket while elk hunting. You never know!

·
Registered
6,583 Posts
i really hope to find a bear when i am elk hunting this year....never killed a bear this year would do!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
622 Posts
I have killed deer when hunting elk, but would never ruin a good elk or deer hunt on a stinky bear. SPring is the time to hunt bear, with dogs, imho.

·
I like shiny stuff.
4,545 Posts
If I have a tag for it with some sort if legal implement of destruction in my hands the critter is getting shot. Consequences later.

·
Smilin' Bob
25,077 Posts
I have killed deer when hunting elk, but would never ruin a good elk or deer hunt on a stinky bear. SPring is the time to hunt bear, with dogs, imho.
Something I remind myself of everytime I interupt a deer or elk hunt standing over a stinky bear. Just can't help myself sometimes as I suffer from Whitey's Syndrome to a large degree. :D

·
I like shiny stuff.
4,545 Posts
Something I remind myself of everytime I interupt a deer or elk hunt standing over a stinky bear. Just can't help myself sometimes as I suffer from Whitey's Syndrome to a large degree. :D

Lol, I'm a syndrome now, well I guess if you were to ask the warden, she would agree.

·
My Elk Hunting Home
32,334 Posts
I'm an opportunist.......I'll shoot just about anything, anywhere, anytime. But I also agree........I tend not to screw up my elk hunts by shooting something else first. I passed on a Muley doe a few years ago that was only 50 yards from the truck........because it was my first day of my elk hunt. I have been known to shoot a grouse on my way back to camp though.

·
Registered
416 Posts
I always have a deer tag when elk hunting and have had many opportunities but did not take them. I am there to hunt elk and that is what I do UNLESS he is a wallhanger. I have a deer season to hunt deer later.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Headin out to Idaho for elk this year, but also getting a deer tag too...... if a whitetail just happens to cross my path I'll let an arrow fly unless I'm heavy into elk then i'll wait till I fill my elk tag! Did I mention that my elk tag also works for bears or lions? Lots of options and opportunities!!!!!

·
A Man for All Seasons
2,703 Posts
I ELK HUNT. There have been many real up close and easy shots at bears through the years while doing that. I have never had a bear tag. that is how it goes.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
+1 on the never have a tag when I have opportunity.Had a very nice mulie buck at 15 yards last year,really nice chocolate black bear year before at 10 yards,no tag either time.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
I missed a 4 pt mulie last year while elk hunting and i've never had the opportunity to shoot a bear while elk hunting but if it was a nice one I definitely would if i wasn't right in the middle of Elk.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts