Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in the southwest, desert cottontails and jackrabbits are considered non game and can be hunted year round until I draw a tag for a deer/elk further up north. I have killed plenty of jack rabbits and cottontails with my .22 air rifle but none with my compound as they are hard as hell to hit, anyone have any experience with them? is it better to flush then wait til they stop for a shot or just post up in an area and wait until they come to you?

I am using a PSE brute force lite at 60 pounds with some cheap walmart arrows and cheap broadheads because I have been missing and losing/damaging my arrows/BHs haha

·
Registered
750 Posts
I lived in Deming some 20 something years ago, we use to drive around and shoot them out of the truck window with a 22 rifle-probable frowned on nowadays. Usually you would just see a small blob under a bush in the shade, confirmation with some binos would confirm a jack rabbit which we would then fire on with our 22s,. However occasionally we would just mentally mark the bush and drive off a short way then sneak back w/our archery gear-usually you could get a shot off. Also if you live in an area you can plant stuff just try and grow some regular lawn grass in your back yard-you better have lots of arrows or the bunnies will win that one.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am in Cruces and love Deming, real firearms are not currently an option and I would love to try with archery equip, did you use judos?

·
Registered
750 Posts
No just regular field points, most of the time you had to shoot through some brush so a judo or broadhead would just get in the way. PS while your looking for your lost arrow you can slow down and be hunting as well-that rabbits still somewhere close.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts