Archery Talk Forum banner

hunting from a blind

832 12
Hello all,

I am new to hunting so I have decided that I wanted to give a ground blind a try before I looked into buying a treestand. For a couple of reasons, but the main one is I am a female and not sure if I will like it at the end of the season. So long story short, I have only been out a few times now and I'm not sure exactly how to handle/setup/etc a blind. The place where I hunt doesn't allow you to leave the blind on the property so I guess that doesn't let the deer get used to it. Do they get spooked easily? I always have it up against a tree line facing either a field or off to the side of the field with twigs and branches/leaves, etc covering it as good as possible. This past weekend, I was all set up and a doe and her 2 fon comes out about 90 yards away on the other end of the field and the mom kept looking over at me. I wasn't sure if they noticed it and got spooked or what. So they kind of worked themselves back in the woods and never saw anything again after that. They were out pretty early, about 5:30, I've been seeing them around 7:30 lately.

So, can you help me out so I can make the best of my hunting in a blind work? Give me some advice and helpful hints with this.

Thanks.
-c
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
scent control

I have been making sure that I am down wind from where I want to face and hunt. I'm doing pretty well at the scent control, at least I think I am. But I will take your advise and see what I can do better to make sure that is the key. Thanks for your help.

· Registered
2,046 Posts
we used a blind this spring for gobblers. in one morning hunt we counted 41 deer that were all within 35 yards at some point. we were tucked into the tree line over looking a field. we were sitting at a slightly higher elevation than the deer but they sure came close. we never worried about scent because we were hunting turkey but the deer didn't seem to mind.

· Registered
2,847 Posts
I think you will like the ground blind. I'm assuming you are looking at the Double Bull or ASAT? Both of these are top drawer units. They tend to contain your scent to some degree, mask the movement of drawing back the bow, and give you some protection from the elements when it is cold out.

· Registered
7,265 Posts
I hunt from ground blinds almost exclusively, and have for several years. I believe there are 2 very important cinsiderations.

1. Set up in the darkest shadows possible. Helps hide "face shine" and keeps you from being silhouetted.

2. Keep as many windows closed as you can. You want the inside as dark as possible to keep from being spotted. It's natural to want to be able to see all around, but I think it can cost you some oppurtunities.

I have quit using camo clothing in favor of solid black or maybe some very dark plaids. I also have carpet cut to fit the insides to cut the noise level.

Be very aware that your arrow is several inches below your pins and it's really embarrasing when your arrow goes through the wall rather than the window. Plays heck with your accuracy when that happens. Loud too. At least that's what I'm told, haveing never done it myself!

· Registered
34 Posts
Good recommendations above. The one I’ll echo most is your window openings. Keep them to a minimum. Don’t think the deer like seeing the big dark unnatural holes from a distance either. Shoot through mesh is good, but doesn’t allow you to use your range finders. So make sure you pre range things before you use the mesh.

· Registered
10,697 Posts
They know the blind is there if they spook or not is another thing. I know they don’t like the black holes windows create. They know their turf liknow your home.

Use shadows
Try to have the sun in their eyes if they look at you
As small of a shooting window as you are comfortable with.
Wear black or dark cloths especially your face.
always play the wind
Practice drawing and shooting from a seated position.
A sight lite will help
Don’t shoot a rage through the mesh i suggest not shooting through the mesh at all.

· Registered
1,847 Posts
If you cannot leave the blind overnight, at a minimum, you may want to find your location and clear that out before you set up so you are not disturbing so much in one day. For example, you can rake the area of leaves, remove debris, and have your shooting lanes trimmed and ready to go in advance. Perhaps, even have some natural debris (branches) ready in the same area you plan to set up your blind (to blend your blind in) once you have it set up. This way, your blind will fit in more naturally. Good luck and let us know how it works out

· Registered
415 Posts
I’m done with ground blinds. I’ve spent a lot of time in one, for one deer. I set my camera up this year, private ground, lots of deer traffic, they were there every day when I wasn’t there. Whenever I was there, not a single deer. I was being extremely quiet too. Can’t see anything either. I’ll stick with the trees.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.