Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my first season with a recurve, the past several seasons I have hunted mostly with a compound out of a treestand. I have a couple questions:
1) Do most of you hunting with longbows/recurves hunt out of a tree, in a blind, or what?
2) Do those of you who hunt out of a tree have problems missing high?

Thanks!

·
Registered
10,047 Posts
i still hunt also, but that is the way i hunt everything (except for turky when it is illegal). it also helps you get close enough to make a sure shot, instead of waiting for a fortunate passing (some can do this better than i still hunt though). if you're new, still hunt so you can get close enough for a sure shot.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I guess missing high is just one of those newbie things to get over. Still hunting sounds like a good option as well although my proximity to the deer hasn't been the problem it's been closing the deal.:brick:

·
Registered
987 Posts
Kegan.............Still hunting for a sure shot is a very hard thing to do and would be incredibly hard for a beginer........also tree stand hunting isn't a chance passing?...how many deer ahve you killed just out of curiosity?..........

I do both stalk and hunt from a tree stand...i would have to say with a longbow or recurve you need to make sure you bend at teh waist when shooting out of a treestand, otherwise....you may shoot high

·
Registered
6,503 Posts
bcoulter said:
missing high from a tree stand is a typical mistake, the key is to bend from the waist (and aim a little low :wink: )
bend at the waist is correct..
i made this mistake last year on a doe at 20 yards. i got so excited to get a shot, that i completely forgot shooting form and mechanics. funny how that happens with a recurve and i have shot 13 deer with my compound.

practice from an elevated stand bending at the waist and shooting if possible.

Shoot Strong
Tony

·
Registered
60 Posts
i also have killed many with a compound, but then missed a few high with my recurve. Aim for the heart and you will hit the lungs every time....also i aim dead on(like i would at 20) at 30 yards, and that has solved my treestand problems. I like to hunt from a ground blind though. I killed one stilll hunting, and it had already butsted me, i just got lucky. I would not suggest still hunting to get better shots, as it is very hard to do effectively. no matter what, send that cedar home!

·
Registered
3,172 Posts
I don't have any big game experience yet (first year with a recurve), but when faced with varmint small game or spur of the moment shooting, I find that I just do it, and more more times than not, I am right on the money. I wonder how and if that will translate to treestand hunting this year....

·
Registered
10,047 Posts
jgbennett6 said:
Kegan.............Still hunting for a sure shot is a very hard thing to do and would be incredibly hard for a beginer........also tree stand hunting isn't a chance passing?...how many deer ahve you killed just out of curiosity?..........

I do both stalk and hunt from a tree stand...i would have to say with a longbow or recurve you need to make sure you bend at teh waist when shooting out of a treestand, otherwise....you may shoot high

i have taken four deer still hunting (this will be my third year hunting deer) and it isn't hard. you just walk quietly and slowely, haven't had any real problems. and i didn't mean stand hunting was just picking a tree at random and waiting- my dad stand hunts with his 30-30. you jsut can't really get closer can you?:wink:

·
Registered
987 Posts
i thought you said on a previous post you had been doing this for 8 years?..now its your third?..you lost me...well Kegan out of my 68 deer i would say 20 mor so were taken from the ground stalking....been doing this 13 years...i can get plenty close ;).....however what i dont want you to do to tell someone that is new that still hunting is easy..thats jsut wrong

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It sounds like a common thing starting out, which is encouraging, I too have shot several deer with my compound and have converted. Something that was said really hit home because I feel that's what has caused my high shots, that was I excited and in a hurry to shoot and forgot about mechanics. I'll keep that in mind! Thanks for the posts, keep 'em coming! :wink:

·
Registered
909 Posts
This was posted on Trad Gang and I think it's a good reminder for all of us.

Guys and Gals,

Every year we hear of serious injuries and even fatalities from tree stand incidents. Please check them carefully and make sure they are solid. Check your climbing rails if you use them; your safety harness (use it). Let's go for a 100% safe year. Don't want any of my friends hurt, or worse.

George....Staying on the Ground.....D. Stout

I'm a VA Hunter Education Instuctor. Every year we get an incident report for the previous hunting season. Here is a portion of the 2000/2001 treestand incident report (I didn't have the most current at hand to scan into this posting)

·
Registered
174 Posts
yeah and wear a safety harness. Funny, years ago I never thought about wearing one. Now at 48 I wear one almost all the time, I guess it has something to do with age and wisdom...............:wink: . Every year we hear of someone who has fallen and been seriously injured or worse.

·
Registered
909 Posts
Now at 48 I wear one almost all the time

bcoulter said:
yeah and wear a safety harness. Funny, years ago I never thought about wearing one. Now at 48 I wear one almost all the time, I guess it has something to do with age and wisdom...............:wink: . Every year we hear of someone who has fallen and been seriously injured or worse.
Wearing a harness is very important, yes I definately agree. I think that if you just wear it in the treestand and not all the time that would be enough. :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
10,047 Posts
jgbennett6 said:
i thought you said on a previous post you had been doing this for 8 years?..now its your third?..you lost me
shooting and making bows for eight years- hunting deer and other big game for three.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Could folks help me out and define what you mean by "Still Hunt." I am trying different styles of long bow hunting and I want to know what that term means to you. Thanks.

·
Registered
10,047 Posts
NH Guy said:
Could folks help me out and define what you mean by "Still Hunt." I am trying different styles of long bow hunting and I want to know what that term means to you. Thanks.
walk quietly through the woods (usually into the wind) looking for game. you stop often to listen and watch. it is pretty much a mix of stalking and stand hunting.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts