Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When hunting from a treestand you range ur shot and it ranges at 30yrds im hearng that you have to aim at a differant yardage how tru is this im goin hog hunting next weekend and dont want to miss that shot i have a nikon 440 rangefinder

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
here's a trick.....find a tree at the yardage you want to range. shoot the rangefinder to the tree about level height with your position to the treestand. that's the horizontal distance. shoot for that distance.

to check...shoot the yardage for the base of the tree...it should range farther than it does at your treestand level. you'd shoot high if you shot for that distance.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thats what i needed to know thanks alot ill remember that and try it. ive hunted lots with gun before but never with bow next weekend will my first time bowhunting ive shot alot and feel very comfortable with my shooting i just dont want to misjudge angle.

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
just remember to draw horozontally and bend at the waist...don't just drop your bow arm, the shot will be off. Good Luck!

·
Registered
5,919 Posts
When hunting from a treestand you range ur shot and it ranges at 30yrds im hearng that you have to aim at a differant yardage how tru is this im goin hog hunting next weekend and dont want to miss that shot i have a nikon 440 rangefinder
JC,
At 30yds, the change in POI (point of impact will be minimal unless you're REALLY high like say 40 feet or so. Where it really comes into play is when you're shooting shorter shots, say 10yds or so, and even then, much of the time, if you hold for what you would want on a flatland broadside shot, you'll get a "high" entry and "low" exit, which is what we want anyhow. BEST ADVICE...PRACTICE from and elevated position at various ranges, simulating your treestand shot!!! That's what I've done for MANY years. And a Nikon 440 is a great range finder, probably the MOST USED rangefinder by archers who actually use one!!! :thumb:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well that all helps out alot im planning on shooting from a lock on on the telephone pole this weekend at about 30 yrs to prepare and get some practive to not screw up my anchor points got to have them right since i handed down the peep to my gf 2 weeks ago bought her the hoyt trykon sport. ill post pics after the hunt.

·
Ad Meliora
18,180 Posts
JC,
At 30yds, the change in POI (point of impact will be minimal unless you're REALLY high like say 40 feet or so. Where it really comes into play is when you're shooting shorter shots, say 10yds or so, and even then, much of the time, if you hold for what you would want on a flatland broadside shot, you'll get a "high" entry and "low" exit, which is what we want anyhow. BEST ADVICE...PRACTICE from and elevated position at various ranges, simulating your treestand shot!!! That's what I've done for MANY years. And a Nikon 440 is a great range finder, probably the MOST USED rangefinder by archers who actually use one!!! :thumb:
:nod:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts