Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Yesterday during my morning and evening sit I had the chance to finally use some of my new gear.

Morning
Sit Time: 5:15 AM - 11 AM
Temperature: 30 F - 45 F
Wind: 0 - 6 MPH
Hunt Type: Hang and Hunt Whitetail
Upper Body Layers: SITKA Lightweight Core Long Sleeve, SITKA Merino Core Long Sleeve (210 Gram Merino), FIRST LITE Labrador Full Zip Sweater (400 Gram Merino), SITKA Stratus Jacket (Elevated II)
Lower Body Layers: FIRST LITE Red Desert Boxer (170 Gram Merino), FIRST LITE Heavyweight Allegheny EXP (330 Gram Merino), SITKA Stratus Pants (Elevated II)
Feet: LACROSSE 7mm Aerohead Boot, FARM TO FEET Cedar Falls Heavy Weight Merino Wader
Accessories: SITKA Cap, SITKA Merino Beanie (210 Gram), SITKA Stratus Beanie, SITKA Core Heavyweight Balaclava, SITKA Fanatic Gloves
Summary: I began walking at 5:15 AM (34 F/0.5 MPH Wind) for a 1/2 mile with stand and gear on my back. My jacket was stowed in my pack and I was just wearing my cap. I was setup and sitting in my stand around 6:15 AM (33 F/0.5 MPH Wind). At this time I was completely comfortable. Not cold or sweaty at all. I tossed my jacket, merino beanie, and gloves on because I knew after my body temperature settled I was going to need them. Around 7:00 AM (32 F/0.5 MPH Wind) the bottom of my feet began to get chilly from standing on the stand platform and it radiating through my boot soles. I tossed my Stratus Beanie and balaclava on and would move to prevent any more drastic movements during sunlight. By 8:00 AM (33 F/0.5 MPH Wind) my feet were cold so I sat down to try to give my feet some space away from the stand platform. By 8:30 AM (34 F/0.5 MPH Wind) I was rotating between sitting and standing because I noticed while sitting my legs were getting chilly. I stood back up the rest of the time. At 9:30 AM (36 F/4 MPH Wind) I was contemplating my choice to stay in the stand until 11 because I began to get cold. My torso and legs began to get a little chilly. Around 10:30 (44 F/3 MPH Wind) my feet started warming up a little. The rest of my body was still a little chilly but not that bad. I was quickly warming up. If the temperature had been above 40 F to start I think my feet would have been fine. At 11:07 AM (46 F/2 MPH Wind) my body temperature was good and I tossed my jacket, beanie setup, and gloves into my pack and begin tear down.

Evening
Sit Time: 3:15 AM - 6:30 PM
Temperature: 50 F - 55 F
Wind: 0 - 3 MPH
Hunt Type: Hang and Hunt Whitetail
Upper Body Layers: SITKA Lightweight Core Long Sleeve, SITKA Merino Core Long Sleeve (210 Gram Merino), SITKA Stratus Jacket
Lower Body Layers: FIRST LITE Red Desert Boxer (170 Gram Merino), SITKA Stratus Pants
Feet: LACROSSE 7mm Aerohead Boot, FARM TO FEET Cedar Falls Heavy Weight Merino Wader
Accessories: SITKA Cap, SITKA Stratus Beanie
Summary: I began walking at 3:15 PM (51 F/3 MPH Wind) for a 1/2 mile with my stand and gear on my back. My jacket was stowed in my pack and I was just wearing my cap. I was setup and sitting in my stand around 4:30 PM (53 F/2 MPH Wind). At this time I was a little hot from setting up my stand. During the walk I was completely comfortable. Around 5:00 PM (52 F/2 MPH Wind) I tossed my jacket and Stratus beanie on once I knew I was cooled off. I remained like this comfortably for the remainder of the hunt through some steady gusts of wind that varied between 5-10 MPH. At 6:30 PM (50 F/0.5 MPH Wind) I began tearing down. I kept my jacket and beanie on through the process with no complaints. No issues with my feet getting hot or cold this time.

Bottom Line
FARM TO FEET Cedar Falls Heavy Weight Merino Wader: I found this company when I registered for LEOadventures. I have never purchased a good set of merino socks so I don't have much experience with them. Time will tell how I feel about these socks. Given the situation and what I research I will see what comes up. One thing I can say is that these are comfortable socks that I didn't have any comfort issues with individually.
FIRST LITE Red Desert Boxer (170 Gram Merino): I have found this to be a good boxer when the temperatures require a sweater or light jacket. Anything warmer I tend to lean towards a merino synthetic that wicks moisture better. Two thumbs up.
FIRST LITE Heavyweight Allegheny EXP (330 Gram Merino): Good when used as an insulated set of underwear. Did not bunch. I could probably wear (2) of the same pair of underwear and walk in comfortably. Two thumbs up.
FIRST LITE Labrador Full Zip Sweater (400 Gram Merino): This is a great sweater. Has the ability to keep my body heat comfortable while walking into the stand and setting up in the 30s. I'm happy to use this sweater as an insulator while stationary in the same temperatures. Two thumbs up.
LACROSSE 7mm Aerohead Boot: I first purchased the 3.5mm series of this boot. Because I liked those so much, based on reviews, I decided I would try a 7mm set for when it gets colder. Well, I don't know if it makes all that much of a difference in my situation. I think keeping your feet warm when stand hunting below freezing is something alot of people are trying to figure out. Add me to that list. Going to research some heating options to see if I can figure out a way to make these work.
SITKA Lightweight Core Long Sleeve: Awesome for wicking moisture. No issues with moisture staying in the garment. I have found this to be a very effective outer garment when it's hot outside (70's Up). Two thumbs up.
SITKA Merino Core Long Sleeve (210 Gram Merino): Next step up from the lightweight core LS. I have found this to be effective as a outer garment in the down into the high 50's when the sun is hitting me directly. Two thumbs up.
SITKA Stratus Pants & Jacket (Elevated II): I really like this system. It's not bulky, light, and quiet. Paired with a light, removable Primaloft liner (50~ grams) this jacket would provide me comfort down to the 30s during an all day hunt with the layering I used above. Without it in these temperatures it may become a little chilly for an all day hunt but for a morning or evening hunt its not bad. Next time I will try adding the Fanatic Hoodie to this setup to see how I like that. Contemplating on purchasing SITKA's Core Heavyweight Bottom as well. If the high temperature during my sit is not going to be above 40 F I will be using the Fanatic Bibs and Jacket.
SITKA Cap: Basic hat made with the same material as SITKAs Ascent Series. I have used this hat a lot this season and will continue to use it. It has a frame-less sport fit that hugs tight to the top of your head. Two thumbs up.
SITKA Merino Beanie (210 Gram): This is an awesome liner for my other beanies or just something great to wear to keep your head just warm enough during a walk in or cool down from a walk. Doubles as a nice handkerchief to wipe your forehead when it gets sweaty. Two thumbs up.
SITKA Stratus Beanie: No issues with my head getting cold during these temperatures. This beanie is extremely comfortable, though I do have a smaller head (size 7 1/8" in Fitted hats). Two thumbs up.
SITKA Core Heavyweight Balaclava: I didn't use this as a traditional balaclava but as a face mask by pushing my head through the hole. It did well with keeping the chill off my nose and cheeks in these temperatures. Two thumbs up.
SITKA Fanatic Gloves: Lightweight gloves but had to keep my hands in my pockets which is how they are intended to be used. Time will tell how I like these.

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
Good review...thanks. Spent 10 hours in a tree today, starting temp was 43 at 5 AM. My feet started to get cold so I removed the rubber boots I was wearing and stuck some chemical toe warmers in them...problem solved. Will be carrying an assortment of disposable chemical warmers with me the remainder of the season.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts