Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the opportunity to hunt tomorrow morning. It is going to be cold (around 20 degrees) with west winds around 20 mph. The wind direction is what I need for this stand, but have never hunted when it is this windy. I have been getting some nice trail cam photos of bucks as recently as two days ago during morning. How has everyone's luck been in windy this strong?

·
Registered
15 Posts
No way! Waste of time!

·
Registered
10,277 Posts
20 doesn't even make me notice other than the direction. If I had recent trail cams I would be there in 40 mph winds.

·
Registered
951 Posts
Wind doesn't affect our KS deer as much as severe weather changes in general do, they live in it every day.

Deer will need to feed, and most likely they'll use the warmest part of the day to do it.

·
Registered
12,053 Posts
Sounds cold! I've not had great luck in high winds but you won't get one home on the couch. If you can stay warm and deal with a tree waving around I say go for it...

·
Registered
4,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
With a recent baby, I have a limited number of days that I can get out the rest of the season. My logic is that because of wind gusts today pushing 50 mph, the deer are bedded down. I think that with the cold and decrease in wind, they may be moving around first light to feed. I think that I can hack the cold for a few hours. Especially with the recent pics.

·
Registered
8,080 Posts
can you guys actually hold your bow still in that kind of wind?

·
Registered
8,080 Posts
Sounds cold! I've not had great luck in high winds but you won't get one home on the couch. If you can stay warm and deal with a tree waving around I say go for it...
i definitely agree with this post though

·
Corripe Cervisiam
21,295 Posts
Gusty=bad

steady 20= no problem

1 - 9 of 9 Posts