Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im from Minnesota and have a friend that lives in florida, looking at making a trip down in march, was interested in doing an alligator hunt and a hog hunt. Anyone be able to give me some advice? I would also like to turkey hunt but I think I will be there to early for that. Also, he lives in Atlantic Beach so needs to be fairly close to there. Thanks for any info.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Alligator season is closed for regular hunting. You can do a hunt though someone with nuisance/private property tags, but it will be big bucks, What part of Florida? There is a North Atlantic AV., which runs though several counties on the East coast.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I looked it up, it looks like you will be way up near Jacksonville, close to GA. That's way North of me, so I can't help you much.

·
Registered
478 Posts
I've never tried to get non-resident turkey tags but I don't think they would be to difficult. Not sure if you could do Gator hunting I am not seeing season dates open on fwc this year and it's a quota hunt anyway. I would stick to hog, turkey and coyote if I were you. Good luck, it's thick and nasty down here and tough hunting.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Florida Non resident Turkey tags are not hard to get..I just went to Florida DNR sight and bought them online...I have only hunted turkey in Florida 1 time to complete my GSlam but something to think about.... if you are going to hunt for an True Osceola you need to be south of Jacksonville I think...Land of the hybrids up north or even Easterns.. But hey free turkey hunting in Florida could never be a bad thing...Good Luck to you..

·
Registered
48 Posts
Alligator season runs from August through November.

Florida doesn't have turkey "tags". You'd just buy a non-resident hunting license and non-resident turkey permit. And if you plan to hunt on a WMA (state-owned wildlife management area), you'll need to buy a WMA permit. Go to FWC's website to read more: http://myfwc.com/hunting/by-species/turkey/

Each WMA has a different set of rules. Some require a quota to hunt, some do not. Go here and check the WMAs in the area you'll be near: http://myfwc.com/hunting/wma-brochures

Some WMAs might allow hog hunting during a small game season while you're here. Just do the homework. Or call an outfitter....

·
Registered
48 Posts
And I'll add that you've missed the application period for the spring turkey quotas. If you possess an active WMA permit, it's possible to pick up a reissue that someone has already turned back in. Don't know what the odds are but I have not been successful so far.

·
Registered
478 Posts
smithgrits touched on a good point. If hunting a WMA make sure you know the rules and regs for that specific WMA as they are all different. You usually also need to have a signed printout of the WMA form on you at all times while hunting there. The general rules and regs listed on the site are for private land so you cannot follow those while hunting a WMA.

·
Born yank raised south
17,044 Posts
Florida Non resident Turkey tags are not hard to get..I just went to Florida DNR sight and bought them online...I have only hunted turkey in Florida 1 time to complete my GSlam but something to think about.... if you are going to hunt for an True Osceola you need to be south of Jacksonville I think...Land of the hybrids up north or even Easterns.. But hey free turkey hunting in Florida could never be a bad thing...Good Luck to you..
I-10 runs through the center of Jacksonville. Just South of 1-10 in Jacksonville is considered Osceola territory. There are very few Easterns or hybrids in this part of North Florida. I live SW of I-10 about 40 miles from Jacksonville.

·
Registered
4,403 Posts
I drew Steinhatchee Springs quota hog hunt 19-21 Feb, never been in there, Going this weekend to have a look around. May turn it in as it is a dogs/guns etc. One dog per person, have never used my dog on hogs. Anyway I can take 2 people with me if anyone close is interested.

·
Registered
478 Posts
I drew Steinhatchee Springs quota hog hunt 19-21 Feb, never been in there, Going this weekend to have a look around. May turn it in as it is a dogs/guns etc. One dog per person, have never used my dog on hogs. Anyway I can take 2 people with me if anyone close is interested.
I'd take you up on that if I had a hunting dog. I don't think my rescue greyhound or my wife's Italian greyhound would do to well against some hogs. Sure, they'd catch them...but it wouldn't be good after that... Let me know if you end up keeping the tags

·
Registered
4,403 Posts
I'd take you up on that if I had a hunting dog. I don't think my rescue greyhound or my wife's Italian greyhound would do to well against some hogs. Sure, they'd catch them...but it wouldn't be good after that... Let me know if you end up keeping the tags

Wife won't let me take her Rot either, I don't really think I would like them getting bit by something or lacerated by any tusk. Thinking about just going finding a logical place to sit and let the dog runners chase em at me :). If you want to go I can pick you up I think as you live so far away.

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
Im headed down in feb good luck I may take a gamble and try a guy from craigslist that's just starting out on hunts cant be any worse then the last hog hunt I went on in FL

·
Registered
478 Posts
If you want to go I can pick you up I think as you live so far away.
PM me if you end up going and if I can make it I will. If you have space for two my brother might want to join as well. I like the idea of a still hunt or slow stalk much better than running dogs as well!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts