Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Obsession Bows
5,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's the hunting look like from Roanoke Rapids NC to Emporia, Va and over to Suffolk Va. I am moving in February with my work and will be in the Roanoke Rapids area for spring and summer before moving over near Suffolk in the fall.

I noticed a lot of crop and cotton fields when I was driving between the two but didn't see any deer or turkey. The swamps looked thick as well.

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
It’s not bad, if it were not for the dog hunters. However, not all dog hunters are bad, but the two hunt clubs that were by the two farms I hunted (Dendron and Smithfield areas) ran dogs like crazy and also trespassed like crazy as well. They were very disrespectful.

·
Registered
4,633 Posts
I lived in the City of Suffolk for 5 years. The Summers a hot and the flies and mosquitos are horrendous—no joke. There are true water moccasins in the waterways. Don’t ever try to be bad ass With them; They’ll be more than glad to run you down. There’s no such thing as fast food. If you’re the only person in the drive through fully expect to be sitting there for 15 minutes. I’ve seen 100+ temps for 30 days straight with humidity approaching 100%. I saw snow only once in 5 years and it was gone 30 minutes later. Now as far as hunting and fishing goes. First and foremost NC will be 30 minutes or less away from Suffolk.

You can buy both VA and NC license to increase your opportunities. Suffolk had very liberal bag limits on deer of perhaps two a day and the season is long. NC had a bag limit of 7 per year when I was there. The fish are much larger than WV. Bass of 5-10 pounds are common. There’s lots of oddball fish we don’t have in WV. There’s bowfin, chain pickeral, perch, alligator gar... bow hunting was not very popular when I was there. Most hunters belonged to hunting clubs where they ran deer with dogs like we do rabbits. CB radios are used and a 12 gauge with #2 buck is the preferred weapon. Folks are clannish and consider WV folks as Yankees. I think their still pissed off over losing the war. I could go on for days but you’ll just have to figure it out for yourself. You’ll want to get yourself a good pair of hip waders. If your in the water keep an eye on the level because wind can blow water in from as far away as 60 miles. I went in on one hunt the water was 3-4” deep. I walked back in 1/2 mile and before I was able to escape it was waste deep.

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
I live outside of Roanoke Rapids and hunt in Northampton County NC and Southampton County VA. I work a lot up towards Suffolk too. It is definitely a different way of hunting around here but you would be surprised at the size of the deer that come out of the area especially up in Southern VA. Some true monsters live in those swamps. If it wasn't for the dog hunting it would be some of the best hunting in the country but like others have said, it is heavy to hunting with dogs and those guys for the most part (not all of them) are just disrespectful and hard to get along with. The only good thing about it is the gun season doesn't come in until late November so the hunting is really good up until then. Lots of Corn, Soybeans, peanuts and cotton grown in this area. Southern VA is very rural and is comprised mostly of big continuous tracts of land but has a good mix of agriculture mixed in with large timber and cutovers and deep swamps. And yeah watch out for the cotton mouths in the summer time. PM me if you need anything else. Goodluck

·
Romans 8:1-39 NLT
1,076 Posts
Brent Boney killed a hammer last year in Emporia! 210" and change. A lot of dog hunting in that part of VA. Check out Star City Whitetails and VA Whitetails Facebook pages. A ton of big deer come from the area you are moving to! This year is no exception!

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
we regularly see deer killed in the 150"-170" range in that part of VA and every year theres a couple that are in that 180" +. I grew up here and have hunted the area my whole life and know a lot of people. What will surprise you is the biggest deer killed never get herd of. There are a few clubs that consistently kill big ones and part of their rule is if the picture of the deer ends up on any sort of social media, you get kicked out of the club and are not allowed to join back. Hunting is very serious and people are crazy over it around here.

·
Obsession Bows
5,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Now that makes the move sound better. While driving around the area looked like it would hold good deer.

·
Registered
4,633 Posts
I failed to mention there’s tons of deer and a much higher number of trophy deer with a higher top end than WV. If you want to bow hunt Va stay away from the NC border because their gun season comes in much earlier than Va. That area holds buck with a real wide spread. I usually saw at least 3-4 a year with spreads greater than 20”.

·
Obsession Bows
5,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Those two facebook pages are loaded up with good deer. Thank you for the info.

·
Obsession Bows
5,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Nice ones. I probably won't be interested in the dog hunting but alittle bowhunting I am always up for. Thanks for all the info.

·
Registered
216 Posts
My advice is to join a hunt club close to your home. People complain about dog hunters, but they are going to control most of the land in SE VA. Join a club and have several thousand acres of prime land mostly to yourself during archery season. Muzzleloader season is during the 2 weeks of prime rut, you can still archery hunt or you can use a muzzleloader. About 7 weeks with the woods to yourself, then when they start running dogs, it won't take long to figure out the best areas for the next year.
People forget about the social thing with hunting with dogs. Several generations of people getting together, just not to kill a deer. On the internet you only heard about the bad things clubs do.

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
My advice is to join a hunt club close to your home. People complain about dog hunters, but they are going to control most of the land in SE VA. Join a club and have several thousand acres of prime land mostly to yourself during archery season. Muzzleloader season is during the 2 weeks of prime rut, you can still archery hunt or you can use a muzzleloader. About 7 weeks with the woods to yourself, then when they start running dogs, it won't take long to figure out the best areas for the next year.
People forget about the social thing with hunting with dogs. Several generations of people getting together, just not to kill a deer. On the internet you only heard about the bad things clubs do.
Follow this^^^

At first, if you aren't experienced with dealing with dog hunting, you will be frustrated. But once you figure out how to hunt around them and use them to your advantage, you can actually be very successful. One thing about Southern VA, is you pretty much have a lot of good hunting to yourself for the first half of the season if you are a bow hunter. If you are talking about NC, you have to deal with them a whole extra month and that can get tough. It's like anything else, learn to adapt. Sometimes the hounds are the only thing that can bump these giant swamp donkeys out of their hiding spots so like I said, the dogs can help.

·
Registered
2,976 Posts
Follow this^^^

At first, if you aren't experienced with dealing with dog hunting, you will be frustrated. But once you figure out how to hunt around them and use them to your advantage, you can actually be very successful. One thing about Southern VA, is you pretty much have a lot of good hunting to yourself for the first half of the season if you are a bow hunter. If you are talking about NC, you have to deal with them a whole extra month and that can get tough. It's like anything else, learn to adapt. Sometimes the hounds are the only thing that can bump these giant swamp donkeys out of their hiding spots so like I said, the dogs can help.
This and the prior post are excellent advice...
Once the hounds hit the woods a couple of days, you'll be hard pressed to find any deer that are not nocturnal... I pretty much end my season after the first week of dog running... I do hunt a fair bit that week, because there will be a lot of displaced deer, and you can luck out on a big buck that's hiding in a new place...
All in all, you've got pretty much 7 weeks of productive hunting, which is a lot more than some guys get...

1 - 20 of 25 Posts