Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I had an idea that some members might wanna share/trade some hunts together. Not sure if it's been done before on AT or not so I figured I would throw the idea out there. The way I think it might work is you come up to Iowa and hunt whitetail/turkey with me some weekend and in return you share a hunt with me in your home state. This could go for any 2 members on here that would wanna make the same offer to each other. Would save thousands on guide fees and would make for a great way to meet members. Any interest or is it a bad idea? What does everyone think?

·
Bone Collector
5,457 Posts
I think it's an awesome idea but it would only work for property owners I think. Since for example most of the property I hunt is public land. I hunt all year and only see a couple of shooter bucks. I couldn't guarantee a deer for someone like I could if I had my own managed property. And I'd feel bad if I went and hunted with someone else and killed something and they got skunked with me. Just my .02 cents.

Jacob

·
Registered
15,394 Posts
I think it's a good idea.
Been done many times.
Good luck!

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think it's an awesome idea but it would only work for property owners I think. Since for example most of the property I hunt is public land. I hunt all year and only see a couple of shooter bucks. I couldn't guarantee a deer for someone like I could if I had my own managed property. And I'd feel bad if I went and hunted with someone else and killed something and they got skunked with me. Just my .02 cents.

Jacob
That's hunting tho

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
They're fun and made some great friends doing it over the years. Did our first one in 1998 and done several since. Became great friends with the guy I hunted with in 98 and we still hunt together every year. I'm from Arkansas so we always swap duck hunts and I've probably taken 30 different folks over the years on swap hunts or friends of friends made on previous swap hunts.

·
Registered
4,819 Posts
If anyone has any land in Ohio to hunt for my buddy and myself I can offer some great salmon fishing on salmon river in mid to late September. We will get ya into them for sure during the salmon run.. it would be up to you if you can land em though.. *)

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
I have swapped a few hunts myself. Pleasant experience with them all from here.
I've taken a bunch of Indiana hands hunting over the years. My buddy that I swapped with in 98 lives in Indiana. Made a bunch of good friends up that way!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Love to trade for Iowa hunt

I'd be glad to put you on a velvet buck in SC. 110-120" bucks starting Aug 15. Hunted public Unit 5 in IA in 2012 after waiting 4 years to draw and was overrun with people. Had three people walk under my tree in plain clothes 1 mile from an obscure parking spot. My son and I should draw again in 2016.

·
ONEshotONEsoul
4,636 Posts
I have done this before and it works well. Pretty fun actually and it does save $$$. My trade was a TN Turkey hunt for a TX hog hunt.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
I may seriously consider it for next year. If you want to come to az come in January so you can hunt javelina and deer at the same time. Is Iowa non res draw or otc? All I hunt is public land btw.

·
Registered
932 Posts
I may seriously consider it for next year. If you want to come to az come in January so you can hunt javelina and deer at the same time. Is Iowa non res draw or otc? All I hunt is public land btw.
It usually takes 2-3 year draw for NR deer in Iowa. That's why everybody tries to hunt in MO on the MO/Iowa border. If it was't for that I would be very interested. I might be interested in a turkey swap but it may be on public where I have harvested turkeys before though

1 - 20 of 56 Posts