Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking into buying a new Knife this year, wondering what suggestions ya'll may have?

·
Registered
17,328 Posts
For deer, I've never found a better blade that the Whitetail Skinner from Outdoor Edge. I've been using this blade exclusively for deer since '97 and I love it!!! Now, you can carry a Rambo knife like some of these guys 'round here do, or you can carry an expertly sized tool for th task at hand. The gut hook opens 'em up like a zipper and the T-handle allows you to cut with a straight wrist which makes the task of reaching into a chest cavity MUCH safer.

·
Registered
266 Posts
I have honestly been thinking about using a flip out razor knife. My cousin used to have a browning knife that essentailly a razor in the shap of a knife and you could skin any animal in record time.

·
Team #28
5,828 Posts
If you want a knife that will last you a lifetime and will hold an edge like no other, take a look at a Bob Dozier knife. His D2 steel is amazing. Try are pricy but worth every cent.

·
Banned
2,248 Posts
I just got a benchmade bone collector fixed blade with guthook, It is a very nice knife made with D2 tool stell and very sharp. I also have a knives of alaska bush camp knife that I realy like, You cant go wrong with either.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Bark river or a Dozier some of the best knives made.

Mike

·
Huh?
1,684 Posts
For gutting and skinning get some thing smallish and easy to handle. For butchering I use a set of Victornox butcher knives. I guess it all comes down to how much do you want to spend.

·
Registered
13,750 Posts
easy to find and very good quality, gerber gators,,, lost one for a year, found it under the skiinig tee a year to the date i last used it,, washed the dirt off cleaned the deer with it,, you can not tell it from the one i bought 3 days earlier,,, not a spot of rust and still razor sharp!!!

·
Registered
189 Posts
I have a havelon knife with replaceable surgical blades always sharp. I love it.

·
SMOKE-N-FINN
1,228 Posts
Wow there is a Rapid River knifeworks, and Bark River Knives, both very close to each other in the U.P. easy to see they were modeled after Marbles, I know Rapid River Knifeworks makes some of the most beautiful knives ever, free sharpening for the lifetime, and I mean shave sharp, type to hand down for generations

·
Registered
618 Posts
Some good suggestions, I'd also recommend mora knives or fallkniven. Mora in particular are super cheap but excellent blades. And i love my F1 ^_^

·
Registered
228 Posts
mora triflex! cheap, good steel and they come shaving sharp. good edge retention and pretty easy to sharpen. and they are cheap enough to buy multiples, because trust me, you will want more then one! great all around utility knife for around camp as well.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Cabelas Alaskan Guide knife made by Buck. Forever warranty made with S30V steel. Insanely sharp and holds it's edge for an unreal amount of time.

·
Registered
23,339 Posts
I like guthook knives for whitetails and have a Buck Zipper and original Marbles (pre-China) guthook that are excellent. Bark River makes a very good custom that is reasonable as well. I also have a custom knife by a fellow named Roger Shirley from Ohio (RDS Knives) that is outstanding. It depends upon how much you want to invest and how long you plan on keeping your new knife.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts