Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello -

Let me start off by saying I am an engineer, and my mind works a little differently than others here on this site. I know there are other threads pertaining to hunting logs on AT, but I am not finding the information that I am looking for. I have for a couple of years now been collecting information on when, where, number of deer seen, sex of deer, temp, wind direction, wind speed, barometric pressure, cloud cover, precip, direction of approach and direction of departure. I also document all the sightings that I get via trail cams. The problem I am having is that the data is all hand written and had to make large scale trends out of. I want to convert the data into an excel document where I can easily create charts and graphs to see whatever it is that I am looking for. Is there anybody out there who has a database that they are willing to share? I am only looking for formatting not your actual data. Please post or PM me if you have a format to share.

My plan is: If I can not find an already existing spread sheet, I will try to find a web site that I can get free daily weather records for the past 3 years and copy it into a excel sheet. Then set up another sheet with all the data that I have collected. My hope is to be able to type the info for the sighting and once I put in the date all the weather information can be automatically generated. Then I would only have a few other fields to input.

From there I would be able to see trends that would suggest best days to hunt based on weather, rut timing, and so on.

Does anybody think this will work, or am I just crazy?

Thanks
Russ

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Hunting just lost all fun while I read that. Just kidding haha but I’m sure it would work to a certain extent. But honestly if you’re in the woods enough you’d know the same info without the hassle. For instance I can tell you what spot deer on my property will be depending upon time, moon, weather, etc. but without the homework project.

If it’s fun for you I’d say knock yourself out but I’d rather do something else with my time.

·
Premium Member
43 Posts
While not an engineer, I get it that this is coming from an "engineer's" point of view and I also realize you want "your" data to be compiled and usable. Maybe a DBA or developer here will offer a hand or service to get you those results.

From another angle, I know HuntStand and ScoutLook merged and provide a ton of property data, incorporates local weather, moon data, sightings and other metrics you have listed above. Going forward I think they have the template and data you seek. It may be a long shot but you could request an export feature in future releases, if they don't have it already. From that you could leverage your old data. Doesn't hurt to ask. Another good resource for moon data specific to deer activity is moon guide dot com. Good luck!

·
Registered
3,701 Posts
Hunting just lost all fun while I read that. Just kidding haha but I’m sure it would work to a certain extent. But honestly if you’re in the woods enough you’d know the same info without the hassle. For instance I can tell you what spot deer on my property will be depending upon time, moon, weather, etc. but without the homework project.

If it’s fun for you I’d say knock yourself out but I’d rather do something else with my time.
LOL I agree! Your obviously smarter than I am... but I can think of a lot better things to do.

Its like the MOON DEBATE... no matter what you find out, ill still be in the woods any chance I get Oct 27-Nov 12.... So in a way, the stats are already available. Hunt when you can and more so during peak rut times etc, etc, yada yada yada

But yeah... if making spreadsheets is your thing, knock yourself right out!

·
Back down to ground level
17,084 Posts
Can't help you with data programs, but if you can come up with something out of your data, and enjoy doing it, hope you find something. Couple things you might consider is deer are always there no matter what the data says, and when you think you have a buck patterned he'll have already changed it.

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
I have kept logs for years. Deer sighted, wind direction, barometric pressure,moon phase etc...
outside of predominant wind direction at certain points in the season I couldn’t determine anything of serious use. Too many variables in my opinion. Environmental, farmer activity, logging, trespassers, feral dogs, coyotes, mast crops, etc...

Now if all I did was deer hunt and if my observations were more than few hunts a week and a week long vacation I could probably have more information to work with.

I still keep logs but have learned to relax and enjoy every minute.

·
Registered
8,901 Posts
Hello -

Let me start off by saying I am an engineer, and my mind works a little differently than others here on this site. I know there are other threads pertaining to hunting logs on AT, but I am not finding the information that I am looking for. I have for a couple of years now been collecting information on when, where, number of deer seen, sex of deer, temp, wind direction, wind speed, barometric pressure, cloud cover, precip, direction of approach and direction of departure. I also document all the sightings that I get via trail cams. The problem I am having is that the data is all hand written and had to make large scale trends out of. I want to convert the data into an excel document where I can easily create charts and graphs to see whatever it is that I am looking for. Is there anybody out there who has a database that they are willing to share? I am only looking for formatting not your actual data. Please post or PM me if you have a format to share.

My plan is: If I can not find an already existing spread sheet, I will try to find a web site that I can get free daily weather records for the past 3 years and copy it into a excel sheet. Then set up another sheet with all the data that I have collected. My hope is to be able to type the info for the sighting and once I put in the date all the weather information can be automatically generated. Then I would only have a few other fields to input.

From there I would be able to see trends that would suggest best days to hunt based on weather, rut timing, and so on.

Does anybody think this will work, or am I just crazy?

Thanks
Russ
Very interesting. I myself have about 25 years worth of said data :wink: I've logged everything form weather, moon phases, moon positions, visuals, deer behavior, barometric pressure, wind directions, ect.. I have never even thought about putting it into excel...…….. :)

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My log has not really altered when or how I hunt. I know the more popular spots on the properties that I hunt, and from the last week of Oct thru mid Nov. I will be in the woods as much as possible.
I figured taking a log book to this level would really limit the crowd to which I would be asking help from, but I can not be the only person who has ever thought about doing something like this. Taking it one step further, I would think if the sightings came from trail cameras a picture could even be inserted to help track individual deer. In my minds eye, I think it could be a handy tool as more and more data gets collected.

·
Huntoholic
2,045 Posts
I travel a lot with my job, day and night, and always looking for deer on the road, I have never done it, but I always thought of keeping a record of weather and moon on the days I saw the most deer activity. The truth is, I'm not going to pass up on a chance to hunt because the moon, wind speed, temp, and cloud cover are not all at prime, please don't take me wrong because I'm a data guy also, I just felt it would be a lot of work for little gain in my case.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
I'm an engineer as well. We tend to over-think at times. Data points to predictable patterns. Mature bucks constantly adapt to unpredictable factors. My advice is leave the data-collection and analysis at work.

·
Registered
2021 Hoyt Ventum 33
85 Posts
My brother keeps a detail log just like you're talking about. He loves making spread sheets, because of this I never need to make one since he just provides the info to me.

·
Banned
3,096 Posts
What people don't seem to grasp is that this isn't about hunting or not hunting. It's about determining the best spot for a given wind, temperature, pressure, etc. It's not saying that the "bad day" means I don't hunt. It means on a "bad day", stand X is better than the rest.

OP, check out the pod cast below from Wired to Hunt. He just interviewed an engineer that made a spreadsheet that could import NOAA weather data, so he could log trail camera pictures by date and figure out the best patterns for each spot. Super interesting stuff. He didn't share the spreadsheet though :/

https://wiredtohunt.com/2019/08/01/ep-291-patterning-locations-instead-of-bucks-with-joe-elsinger/

·
Huntoholic
2,045 Posts
What people don't seem to grasp is that this isn't about hunting or not hunting. It's about determining the best spot for a given wind, temperature, pressure, etc. It's not saying that the "bad day" means I don't hunt. It means on a "bad day", stand X is better than the rest.
If I understand correctly, you are trying to narrow it down to a particular stand, based on conditions that would give that stand the best odds, correct? I get it, we all want to know what stand to go to, and that would be super cool, but would it not require years of data from that particular stand vs. what was going on at other locations at the same time?

All of the combinations of factors to consider would be mind boggling at best, I can tell you this, if you get it figured out, and it can be applied anywhere, anytime, you will be able to quit your regular job!

·
Banned
3,096 Posts
Listen to that podcast I posted. Doesn't sound like it's all that difficult. If you're only logging a certain age class, and daylight pictures, its totally do-able.

If Stand #1 is my best stand, but I have data to say Stand #2 is better for a warm, windy day, I'd rather be sitting in Stand #2 to up my odds and avoid wearing out Stand #1. Usually, guys just sit their best spot, hoping to make the best of a mediocre (low probability) day.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yes, That is exactly what I was wanting to do with my spreadsheet. After checking out the pod cast I see that I am not totally crazy with my idea and intent. I will venture out and see what I can put together and once I get everything working like I want it to maybe I'll share it with those who think it might have merit. In the mean time, if anybody already has a working spread sheet and they are willing to share please hit me up.

·
Banned
3,096 Posts
It'd be sweet to use VBA to pull the date and time stamp from the .jpeg, and pull that into your spreadsheet and apply NOAA data. Maybe you could go through your pictures, drag the pictures with target deer to a new folder, and then have your Macro pull the info from the files in that folder.

That way you're limiting the amount of manual entry.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Sent you PM check it out when you get a chance.

Here's a few pictures of what I have created and used myself..

This is the applications main view..

When I left click on Oct. 5th of 2019 I get this edit screen that shows the moon phase and sunrise sunset time and notes etc.
It also allows me to make changes for this day here.

Upon selecting (clicking) on the Details tab or button at the screen top I can type in as much text as I want about this day...

Here is a zoomed in close up of the Details section where you can read the text I added to explain to you that I could
alter this area to input the things your looking to record like Wind dir, Humid, etc. or I could add another tab (section here) to
add that info. and keep the Detail section as is.

That zoomed in picture is pixelated because I zoomed in to show it here as a close up it does not look like that bad in actual display size.

If interested give me a call.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Here's an example picture of what I used the app. for back in 2007, simply recording what I saw when and where and what time.
This was before I added moon phases and sunrise set and other icon features...

Text Line Design Parallel Pattern

I originally started the app in 1999 and it grew from there.
It was intended only to record hunting and starting and ending dates represented by icons at the top of each day.
Notes and details and holidays and anniverserys and daylight savings etc. were added on as the years went by.
I still use it myself to this day to simply help me remember when the sun rises today and how much time do I
have to get to my blind or stand before, and how many days remain before fall archery ends this year from today.
I havn't seen anything move in woods for the last five days, where and what time did I see turkeys show up 2 weeks ago ?

That is why and how this program was written, not for sale, simply for me.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Not meaning to burst bubbles but you simply cannot do this type of thing using a spreadsheet.
It get over whelming and quickly becomes a house of cards if you try, spreadsheets compile numbers only and do it very well and that's all.
Databases (well designed) handle orgainizing, sorting and querying of data 100 fold better, that's why they exist.

I spent many years of life importing data from Ecell into a database format and into a database and got paid very well for it.
There was a valid reason they paid me so much. :)

1 - 20 of 32 Posts