Archery Talk Forum banner

hunting logged areas?

749 Views 4 Replies 4 Participants Last post by  brownback
There is a spot we used to hunt but havent for about 4 years. I went up there fishing this spring and noticed the spot we hunted was logged last winter. I didnt go far in, but It was definetly logged some. Do deer usually hang around logged areas at this time of year, and what is a good way to hunt them?

This is a 3 square mile of county forest land with lots of marsh and some hardwoods, with almost no crop fields or other food sources for deer.

Any thoughts? thanks
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
388 Posts
should be good!!

I don't know what part of the country your in, but in northren Mn. you can't beat a fresh cutting. Lots of knew growth will occur. The deer really like young popal trees here. Also any roads cut in to the area usually will grow some clover or green grasses, they will like. Good luck:)

· Registered
1,040 Posts
You have a gold mine. Deer absolutely love logged areas because of all the new growth, and all the edges which are created. Further, the hardwoods as you described may contain mast,[acorns and such], and these areas should be easier to find as they may be more limited, thus concentrating the deer. Over the next few years, the logged areas will provide new growth, which is both food and cover. I would be extremely happy to have such an area to hunt!

· Registered
1,277 Posts
From my experience, deer tend to hang around logged areas. Fresh growth and some good coverage. I have walked up to deer as close to 5 feet hidden in briar bushes. I have seen a lot of big boys in this type of area.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.