Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All,

I recently interviewed for and believe I will be offered a position down in this area. What are the hunting opportunities down there? Do NM residents get deer & elk tags every year or is it awarded by lottery? Are there any other species of interest? Any information would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
656 Posts
You have to draw for just about everything now except for small game and turkey. At least for elk, that Gila region near Silver City is among the toughest draws in the state.

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You have to draw for just about everything now except for small game and turkey. At least for elk, that Gila region near Silver City is among the toughest draws in the state.
I figured the elk hunting would be lottery, considering how famous the Gila is. What about mule deer? If drawn, are there ample opportunities in the area?

·
Registered
10,341 Posts
I figured the elk hunting would be lottery, considering how famous the Gila is. What about mule deer? If drawn, are there ample opportunities in the area?
Mule deer are draw also. Most of the units there say fork antlered deer and can be either a mule deer or cous.
The population is still pretty depressed from drought however there is still a few deer around.
You can run into access issues on some of the state lands in that area, locked gate ect.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

·
Corripe Cervisiam
22,156 Posts
To preface this....I'm NOT from NM

But from the guys I know and talk to in NM, with the right strategy....they can draw an elk tag just about every year in NM. It won't be in the most desirable units.....but its a tag.

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Gotcha. I was just told that the company is going to extend an offer. Provided it's a decent one, I plan to accept. I appreciate everyone's responses. I've lived in southern IL my whole life, right in the heart of the Shawnee NF. I'm used to being able to hunt from Oct-Jan with basically no restrictions. The lottery system is going to be new to me.

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm reading that New Mexico offers OTC for black bear and free-range Ibex. Is this correct? I'll be back home in November for a week to hunt the whitetail rut, but I don't want that to be the only hunting I do this year.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Black bear is over the counter as is cougar. The ibex hunt you are referring to is for the area off the Florida Mountains which is their primary habitat. You used to be able to get nanny Ibex tags OTC, but I don't think that's the case any more... I'd have to check the regs. Overall, you'll love it here. And I would agree with Beendare, put in for less desirable unit archery tags as your 3rd or 4th choice and you can at least hunt nearly every year.

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I live in Silver... Let me know if you make it out... Right now there isn't anything to be worried about deadline wise but start looking for AZ OTC hunts if you want to chase something this year. Who are you interviewing with?
It's a civilian company that does contract work for the government. In this case, my position will revolve around the environmental impact/cleanup of mining operations. The job will be based from Silver City, but I'll work all over the southwest US.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Excellent hunting. You can go south and hunt the high desert, havalina, muleys antelope. or go north and hunt the southern part of the rocky mountains; yeah most everything is a draw now but that only makes it better. Plus there's some true free roaming exotics all within an hour or two-Audads, Ibex and gemsbok. If your into hunting that's the place. Apply for everything and usually you'll have too much stuff to hunt.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts