·
Bonehunter
8,848 Posts
Easy

Walk into Walmart and buy it :)

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
no, but what i hear good land is hard to find if you dont know someone. I may be misinformed though

·
Registered
4,838 Posts
Extremely hard! I'm pretty sure you have to hand over your first born. :mg: Besides, I wouldn't waste my time, cause there aren't any bucks in Ohio bigger than this one. :eek:

J/K....Just head to Wally World with the checkbook.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
funny all these ohio threads are coming up now that there has been a few 200+ deer killed there this year

·
Registered
414 Posts
I'm heading down to the ATA show in January for the weekend. I was going to maybe try hunting public land on Sat/Sun. Any recommendations for decent public land near Columbus or north of it (Im going from Columbus back home in Ann Arbor, MI). Thanks for the info!

·
Waiting for opening day
2,337 Posts
You don't need to go to Walmart

You can get them online. https://www.greatlodge.com/oh/license/welcome?ol=undefined

You'll need a license and an any deer tag. The antlerless tags are no longer good except in the urban zones. The total will run you about $150.

Good luck with the public land hunting. By now all the deer are scared shirtless from gun season, which ended on Sunday. Without any scouting, your best bet is to head to the area hardest to get to from the parking area, find the thickest cover and hope for the best. FWIW there is a extra gun season coming up the weekend before Christmas and a 4 day ml season in mid Jan.

ETA: I just looked up the dates of ATA. The ML season is 1/9 to 1/12 and ata starts on the 13th. So the deer will have been chased around by the ML crowd just before you get there.

·
Registered
10,964 Posts
I'm heading down to the ATA show in January for the weekend. I was going to maybe try hunting public land on Sat/Sun. Any recommendations for decent public land near Columbus or north of it (Im going from Columbus back home in Ann Arbor, MI). Thanks for the info!
your heading right past me! Bring your bow and i'll help you

Only thing is I have to blind fold you to take you there:wink:

I'll be at the ATA too

·
Registered
443 Posts
I live in the suburbs of Dayton in Greene county. There are deer here, of course, but finding land to hunt is pretty tough. There is not much timber in my part of the state so if you want to hunt a combination of timber and fields you are in extreme competition with the rest of the hunting population. I don't know about the rest of the state.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Thanks for the tips guys, and I might have to take you up on that Bowman! Haha. So do the ML and late archery hunts get a lot of people in the woods, or can I expect to be one of the only ones out there?

·
Registered
6,514 Posts
Since you are from Michigan... you better hope your the only one out there! LOL. No but i know down toward my area only the die-hard bowhunters are out after the gun season. The ML season is pretty full...

Thanks for the tips guys, and I might have to take you up on that Bowman! Haha. So do the ML and late archery hunts get a lot of people in the woods, or can I expect to be one of the only ones out there?

·
Registered
414 Posts
Haha, well Baz, I'm a Michigan State guy, so I share a similar hate for University of Michigan as many Ohio folks do. SO I think we'll get along just fine.

Thanks for the info too. I know its a long shot, but Ive been stuck in California for work all fall, and only been able to get back to the Midwest to hunt about 3 times, so I really want to take advantage of any chance I can get to hit the woods. I'll be glad to take any decent deer I can put my pin on.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts