Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many guys hunt from the ground? I have a couple treestands but am locating deer sign where the trees are way to small or in some cases too large for treestands. I would have to set up 30 plus yards away to find a tree. I dont have a deer blind, but have made a few brushed up spots to try and was wondering if anyone has done this with any sucess. I feel I would have a better chance being down wind of the deer on the ground than up wind in a stand, what do you think? "Still as clean as I can possibly be"

·
Registered
5,455 Posts
I have always hunted from the ground with great success.:) Be VERY quiet and move slowly. I have gotten more shots stalking and still hunting than I have waiting though. You HAVE to use the wind on the ground or you will be BUSTED for shure! I have also found that when waiting in the brush on the ground, you don't want to call, or they will pinpoint your location and come in with the wind in their face. Busted.:( Shooting them on the ground is a rush!:D

·
Registered
238 Posts
As long as you play the wind right hunting from the ground and haveing deer 5 yards from you there is nothing like it.

Make sure if you dont have a store bought ground blind that you are covered in frount and back all you need in the frount is a small hole to shoot through but you need enough cover to conceal any movement . Remember if you can see them they can see you.

As far as brush blinds go the best luck that I have had is when I spend the time to build one that completly encloses me with enough room to draw my bow.

BTW cut the brush from some where els and drag it in you dont want to alarm the deer any more than you have to

·
Registered
19,164 Posts
Still hunting/Stalking is the most rewarding hunting I've ever done. There is nothing better.
But you do have to be careful, one time I was after a "Blacky" and after stalking him the best part of the morning, I figured he would come out of this little cut creek... so I eased up just short of the rise and peeked over.... well he was looking at me from about ten feet.... all 350 of him staring at all 200 of me (long time ago). That will get your blood flowing... my first bear with a handgun....:D

·
Registered
63 Posts
A dark background is key!

I've hunted off the ground many times... I try to find somewhat of a "natural" blind already there, whether it is a downfall, uprooted tree, or jsut a pile of brush. A couple of things to consider:

1) Make sure you have a comfortable seat! If you are sitting awkwardly, you'll be uncomfortable in no time and not be able to sit still. I've used buckets, folding stools, and folding chairs. However, there are now a lot of nice, small seats you can attach to any tree, and carry them easily in your daypack. I like the API and Gorilla ones myself.

2) Definitely make sure you have something behind you so you are not "silouted"...just like when using a treestand. The darker the better. It especially helps if there are some "natural" branches above you to to make it kinda "dark" in your blind... bushy pines are great for this.

3) I've found that using some lightweight, leafy camo netting works great for in front of me. It wads up nice and small to fit in a packpack. I used to just "drape" it over brush, etc. in front of me... but I came across something this year that's worked great! Go to any lawn and garden department, and buy some of those 3' or 4' "green" stakes for gardening. Then go buy some wooden clothespins... walla! I'll stick 4, 4' stakes around where I am sitting, and then pin the netting to the stakes. This works best if you can have some natural cover in front of the netting too to help break it up... even some downed branches work well. When I am done hunting, I stuff the clothespins in a jacket pocket, wad the netting, velcro the 4 rods together, and unhook the seat.... and shove it all in my backpack (the rods are sticking out the top of course), and off I go.

Right now I'm working on a way to cut the rods in half or thirds and be able to still attach them together to make a 4' section.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cutting them in half

Maybe some pvc pipe cut a 45 degree angle, would go in ground easy, easy to join using couplings and light weight, we may have something here....

Denny

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I see a lot of people have viewed this post, I wonder how many like me will do some ground hunting this year. Now dont get me wrong.. if there is a good tree with in 20 yards of the deer, I want to be up that tree in my summit. But I think last year I passed up some realestate because no good tree and wind combo. JMHO

Denny

·
Registered
11,651 Posts
U of Wisc statstics

The Late Dr Bob Jacksonat the U of Wisc

published a study the first bowhuntitn conference many eyats ago inthe 80s

he found that bowhunter who hunted from elevated Satnds i.e., Trees had a 400% better chance of harvesting a deer with a bow

I hutn a lot onthe ground for safety reasosn and brittle bowns

I designed a top sellign groudn blind and IU use the America Step Series tho other workd as well

You will not see as much from the ground and will not do as well

I South Africa i foudn that hunting form elevated stands was more like 900% more effective than ground blinds

i was a guide and outfitter in Southern Africa for 9 years and ran a bowhuntign college where we aught hunters how to use & build scaffords, tripods ladders and safe tree platforms
In may part fo Africa wehre we hutn there are no trees only brush

TINK

·
Registered
8,533 Posts
Upnorth hunter

How about the hollow fiberglass shock cord tent poles for dome tents? they sell replacement kits in different diameters approx three feet long and could be cut shorter.

·
Registered
19,164 Posts
Hey Tink...

You're correct.... hunting from a stand is too easy.... It's more like waiting than hunting, no wonder Brown Hornet reads on the stand there ain't a lot else to do up there....:D :D :p :p

·
Registered
3,057 Posts
Of course you think its easy Javelina, your tree stand is mounted to the same tree the deer is tied to in that pen of yours!

Get the right spot, and hunting from the ground is just as easy as hunting from a tree. I dislike hunting from the ground, not because its harder, but because its harder to see where deer are coming from, and where they are going (figuring out if I should be somewhere else).

Bo

·
Registered
26 Posts
love the ground

Shot a 7 point at 20 yards on the ground last year, what a rush.
Playing the wind is key, if it's blowing from you to the trail you are wasting your time. Squirrels walk within a foot or two as long as you are still. Different view from ground. I only hunt from natural ground blinds, fallen trees with a lot of clutter are great. I sit in one of those $4 folding chairs, comfortable and can sit all day.
Learn to shoot sitting down saves movement. Good luck and if you take a nap the fall isn't too far.

·
Registered
859 Posts
hunting from the ground

he found that bowhunter who hunted from elevated Satnds ie., Trees had a 400% better chance of harvesting a deer with a bow

This must be a punch line to a joke.

If it read: 400% more bow hunters hunt from a treestand than from the ground, it would seem more believable.

If you choose to hunt from the ground and apply yourself, this method can be every bit as successful. I have had great success hunting from the ground and see it as an advantage in many ways over using a treestand. The method most successful for me has been still hunting. That might be because I enjoy this type the most.

·
Registered
11,651 Posts
read the report

Dr Jackson found in his studies that bowhunters hunting deer from Tree stands has a 400% better chance of harvesting deer than bowhunters on the ground

Its a Scientific paper published by U of Wisc

***** at them OK?

·
Registered
265 Posts
ground hunting

I don't know what part of the country you are hunting in but in Kansas there are millions of natural ground blinds. They are called cedar trees. Just take a limb saw, hollow out an area big enough for you to sit or stand. I have shot several deer doing this. The cedar also works great for a scent cover, especially after you have cut the branches. Good luck!!!

·
Registered
321 Posts
I'll be doing both this year.
The deer are putting away the persimmons like crazy right now and there isnt a climbable tree within 50 yd of the clumps.

·
Registered
745 Posts
I have never hunted deer from the ground, but will be doing it this year. However, I do stalk hogs, and that is a blast!!!:D There is nothing like seeing the hogs, and getting w/in 20yds of them to get a shot. know that hogs do not ave the eye sight that deer have, but their noses and hearing IMO are just as good.

·
Registered
710 Posts
There's nothing like having your knees on the ground behind a few leafy shrubs of viburnum...10 yards from an average sized approaching doe...so close you can see her whiskers shimmering, her eyelashes batting with her blinks, her muscles tensing and contracting with her walk. You're amazed at how alive and vibrant she is. Meanwhile your fingers are taut on the string, your heart is pounding in your chest, and you make a conscious effort to not breath loudly like your lungs would like. It seems like you counter every motion of the deer with almost imperceptible positioning movements in your own muscles, knowing that gentle shifts of mear millimeters will matter. You agonize over the precise moment to draw, waiting the perfect chance that your movement will be obscurred from the doe's eyes. As the doe pauses and looks towards the golden field, you draw back and hear your fleece jacket make the faintest rumpling noise. You pray she doesn't hear it. Your arms shudder as you realize this is the fleeting moment you long for every hour of every day. You burn your eyes on the center of her chest, double check that the arrow is on target in your periferal view, and with one quick gasp, you release your the bowstring and pour all your hope and will into the arrow finding its mark...

IMO, There is no more invigorating form of hunting than pursuing whitetails on the ground. Without playing the game on their level, you're not a participant of lethal sport so much as an observer throwing arrows into the arena.

Treestand hunting, of course, is easier and generally permits higher carcass counts, but careful and persistant ground hunting is most certainly effective. It has been for tens of thousands of years.

This Pennsylvania 8-point, for instance, took an arrow from 9 yds as I hid in a stunted cornfield last season.

·
Registered
710 Posts
And this 8-point fell at 18 yds on a stalk the season before.

There is nothing more exciting or intense than hunting deer on their level. :)

·
Registered
2,820 Posts
I do! Never out of a tree!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts