Archery Talk Forum banner
  • Enter in this new Contest Sponsored by Walmart for your chance to win a $400 gift just in time for the 4th of July! HERE Contest Ends on the 30th.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Summit Goliath tree stand that I carry with me to the field. I was curious if anyone has used a backpack to carry all the stuff for a days hunt. What pack and why??

·
Shootin and Cussin
24,386 Posts
Any chance you read the rules before posting?

·
Registered
24,593 Posts
12 Ringer is an AT moderator who frequently posts. In a thread on this topic he recommended the Mystery Ranch Pintler pack for hauling stands. I'm guessing the biggest issue would be the size of the stand and pack capacity for your specific application.

Sent from my SM-G960U using http://bit.ly/Archery_Talk_app

·
Registered
296 Posts
I have a Summit Goliath tree stand that I carry with me to the field. I was curious if anyone has used a backpack to carry all the stuff for a days hunt. What pack and why??
Don't worry.. just ignore the grumpy old guys that seem to enjoy running off the new guys. Are you looking for something to hold your gear and the stand or something you can attach to the stand that will hold the additional gear?

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
Any pack will work. I just strap mine on to the back of the stand. My biggest issue is carrying my bow without banging the cams on the stand.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
768 Posts
I am looking for a pack that will carry everything I need but that I can attach to my Goliath climber
Ignore the knuckleheads and self proclaimed experts on AT and you will enjoy the AT experience...

I use a Summit Viper and a Badlands Pursuit back-pack (but any good pack would work the way I do it) I simply run the shoulder pieces of the pack over the stand and then buckle the chest strap...put on the stand and go.

Pictures in the next post...I use a Hazemore seat on my Vipers and the black shoulder straps are on the stand, brown shoulder straps are the backpack.

·
Registered
Bowtech Revolt X
554 Posts
Ignore the knuckleheads and self proclaimed experts on AT and you will enjoy the AT experience...

I use a Summit Viper and a Badlands Pursuit back-pack (but any good pack would work the way I do it) I simply run the shoulder pieces of the pack over the stand and then buckle the chest strap...put on the stand and go.

Pictures in the next post...I use a Hazemore seat on my Vipers and the black shoulder straps are on the stand, brown shoulder straps are the backpack.
I do the same thing except with a lock on. My back pack straps go together right on top where the V is that eats into the tree and the waist strap goes around the stand. It also helps keep the stand from clanking while I’m walking. I just carry my bow in hand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,626 Posts

How do you like the hazmat seat on the summit? The cushion is very comfy but it's kinda bulky and gets in the way.

How do you like the hazmore seat? The cushion seat is comfortable but kinda bulky and gets in the way.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
For carrying gear on a summit climber. Nothing beats the summit deluxe arm and front bar bags. It's what I use and I dont use a backpack for gear at all anymore, I can fit everything I need into those summit bags.

Also for backpacking the stand its self get the molle II gear setup and attach it vie snap rivets.

If you would like some pics let me know and I will see what I can do to get some loaded up for you.

Also the third hand archery products are a must so check them out as well.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I love my Goliath. very comfortable. I was asking about packs because I want to keep my hands free while walking. But thanks for your input and pics

·
Registered
446 Posts
I like a pack with a frame and bag that can detach. Easy to keep everything separated from the stand and makes it easy to remove stand when you get to the tree. Check out Mystery Ranch packs if you're looking for a good deal. I picked up a Terraframe for $225 on Moosejaw last year, same frame as the hunting packs and works great for carrying/securing large akward loads. Keep an eye out for sales and you can snag a good framed pack that will work great for what you're doing.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I hunt out of a mini viper summit. Best thing for me is a nice Fanny pack. Can’t hold anything but the essentials which is fine with me. I usually tie my extra jacket around my waist as well with the sleeves.

·
Registered
768 Posts
How do you like the hazmat seat on the summit? The cushion is very comfy but it's kinda bulky and gets in the way.

How do you like the hazmore seat? The cushion seat is comfortable but kinda bulky and gets in the way.
I like them for a few reasons....lighter, quieter, easier to deal with when you are setting up / taking down the stand, they are plenty comfortable for me, and they allow me to sit a little higher in the stand so my arms aren't "chicken winging" over the side arm bars. Sitting up higher also means that the foot platform is closer to the seat section of the stand so that gets me several more inches of clearance for my bow since the seat section is just above my knees when I'm standing up.

That brings me to another point....several years ago I decided to mostly stand up while I'm hunting and there is no doubt that I see more deer now....I think it just makes me keep my head more on a pivot instead of just sitting there day dreaming (or sleeping like I used to do in the comfy Viper seats). I probably stand 80-90% of the time and can just slide out the Hazemore when I want to take a rest.

In the second picture above, you can see how I use tiny zip ties on the black part of the Hazemore...those are only to keep the seat from dropping too low when I have it packed up...it keeps the seat out of the teeth of the stand and so I never have to fool with getting it untangled...just pull the 2 sections apart and slap them on the tree. I also wrap the Third Hand strap around the entire stand to keep the 2 pieces really tight when I'm packing it...makes no noise whatsoever.

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
I like them for a few reasons....lighter, quieter, easier to deal with when you are setting up / taking down the stand, they are plenty comfortable for me, and they allow me to sit a little higher in the stand so my arms aren't "chicken winging" over the side arm bars. Sitting up higher also means that the foot platform is closer to the seat section of the stand so that gets me several more inches of clearance for my bow since the seat section is just above my knees when I'm standing up.

That brings me to another point....several years ago I decided to mostly stand up while I'm hunting and there is no doubt that I see more deer now....I think it just makes me keep my head more on a pivot instead of just sitting there day dreaming (or sleeping like I used to do in the comfy Viper seats). I probably stand 80-90% of the time and can just slide out the Hazemore when I want to take a rest.
Yeah I stand most of the time also. If I set down I will go to sleep lol.

·
Registered
34 Posts
i have a summit viper and used a badlands eastern day pack with it last yea and it worked great, but just got the monster fanny to use for this season.

·
Registered
Mathews HalonX 70 Lbs 28.5 draw 670 grain gold tip single bevel Tuffheads
962 Posts
I did. Did I do something wrong??
What he is trying to tell you some what nicely is that this thread belongs in the hunting form instead of general archery, most of us dont really care, ho and WELCOME to AT :love:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts