Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I will make this as short as possible. I would like your thoughts.
My dad lives on a 120 acre farm in Kentucky. The habitat isn't that great except for one area. My dad gave permissoin to a couple of hunters to hunt that area. These hunters used to go hunting with a friend that did have permission, but he is now gone, so for the last couple of years they have been asking permisson from my dad. Well, my brother and I both hunt and we think that we should have the right to hunt that spot. I personally wouldn't let them on the farm at all because last year my dad made them take down a feeder they had set out without persmission. My dad will not tell them they can't hunt the farm. My brother and I feel that my dad is choosing two people he doesn't really know over his own kids. My dad doesn't owe them anything. This is really causing problems between us. Everyone I seem to talk to about this agree that my dad should tell them not to hunt. The hunters told my dad that they have other places to hunt if there was a problem. These hunters are not looking for a place to hunt, but rather looking for the best place to hunt. Please express your opinion. There is a lot more to this story but it would take too long. Thanks

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
Well...this looks a bit ugly.

Bottom line, if its your dad's property...he can do as he wishes. I think thats an obvious.

What isn't obvious is why your dad is partial to giving other hunters access (assuming no money via leasing and no friendship is involved) when his own sons would rather hunt it themselves.

Perhaps your dad isn't a hunter and simply doesn't understand?

Maybe have a sit down with your brother and father and try to go over how you feel. I don't know how serious your conversations have gotten, but perhaps your father just doesn't know how you and your brother feel...

Outside of that...not sure what else you can do.

What are your father's reasons for allowing the two guys to hunt even though you and your brother would rather not have them there? That might help us understand what might be going on...

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
BowhunterNJ

We have expressed are feelings. My dad is not a hunter and really doesn't like the thought of people harvesting deer. He says that these people have hunted there for 20 years (but, only 3 years have been with permisson) and just can't tell them NO. My dad is one of those who worries what people think of him. So, I think that is the bottum line. My brother and I have a hard enough time running people off the land while were hunting (people come in from all over the farm) that don't have permission. My dad has even helped us run people off. But, yes we have expressed why we feel the way we do, but it's not helping. He told me that when he is gone we can do what we want with the farm. He has gotten very defensive about this subject.

·
Registered
784 Posts
So what's the deal with your Dad? Is he a nice guy that doesn't want to turn someone down? He did make them take down the feeder, though. Or doesn't he want you guys to hunt, maybe work instead? Does he hunt? Does he think it is a waste of time and money? Is he getting anything in return for letting these guys on? I don't get it.

I must say my kids would be first, before strangers or neighbors. Period.

Oops, I guess I posted late.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Dacotah

No, my dad isn't getting anything from them. This isn't a working farm (no live stock or crops). Once was when he was little. And yes, my dad does not like to tell people NO. And yes, my kids come first before anyone else. My brother and I just don't understand. We have always had a close relasionship with my dad.

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
Well...there you have it.

His understanding does not extend to hunting. It looks like he'd rather not deal with the situation or tell the guys they can't hunt there...since ultimately its no sweat off his back (or his hunting time).

Have you tried talking with the hunters that now have permission? If they have other places to hunt, perhaps they will understand as hunters that you and your brother want the property to yourselves.

If that doesn't work, I'm afraid there isn't much you can do. I wouldn't persue it with your father anymore. He's stated his case...and obviously doesn't want to discuss it anymore.

Doesn't make sense to me how he's more worried about others (and perhaps himself, his image, etc) than his own sons...but...thats just how some people are. That's how your father is...just gotta deal with it and explore other opportunities.

Don't let hunting rift your relationship with your family...its just not worth it in the end. Shrug it off, and see what else you can do to secure permission on another piece, hunt public lands, etc.

I know its a hard bit to chew on...but you have to do what you have to do.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Its obvious that your father is a man that stands by his word a man of honor where a hand shake is better than a leagle document.

These people are a dyingbread you can tell that by the amount of posts where people are griping about losing free access to private farms.

I know it must be hard but I would have to respect his word and be proud that my father was that kind of man.

GOOD LUCK

·
Registered
496 Posts
I agree with Jeff 100%. I might be upset if he started letting other people. But if they set up that feeder again without permission I would want them out. maybe ask those guys if you can hunt some of their spots?

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
Perhaps I'm being presumptuous...but I don't like the fact that these guys were hunting the property for 20 years and only acquired permission in the last few.

I don't have ANY respect for trespassers...period.

Granted, his father can be the most outstand person in the world and a man of his word...but what "respect" is due to those trespassers when they didn't show ANY respect to the landowner in the first place?

Naturally I am foreign to the particulars of this situation, but I (as a landowner) would be appauled at the lack of respect I got upfront and those "hunters" wouldn't have a chance in hell on getting rights to my property for ANY purpose.

Looks like they haven't changed much in terms of respect for the landowner...putting out a feeder without asking.

Anyone wondering what kind of guys these "hunters" really are? If I was in his fathers shoes and/or that was my land...I'd be VERY concerned regarding who uses it.

I know I could at least trust my sons with OUR land...everyone else would have to earn that level of trust...and these "hunters" have failed that test several times already...

Lesson Learned?

·
Registered
784 Posts
Jeff, I guess I don't see how you get that he is a man of his word. Once you give someone permission to hunt, that gives them the right to hunt it for life? Hardly. A "Man of his word" usually expects the same in return, yet he lets them hunt for 17 years without permission?

I think he sounds like a nice guy who'd rather put his sons out than an outsider, because he can handle confrontation with his sons.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I guess I need to explan the 17 years without permission. My dad gave permission to a man that owned the property back of ours (that he knew). We will call him ED. ED would ask if some of his friends could hunt with him ( which tey did). Well, ED's hunting buddies are the ones my dad gave permission too. ED is now dead, so I guess my Dad feels he still needs to let ED's friends hunt.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
UPDATE, Well I just found out that my Dad gave the hunters phone numbers to my brother so he can call them himself and explain how we feel about them hunting on the property. I still think my dad is going to have attitude with us because of this. Hopefully not. thanks for all the feed back. Appreciate it!

·
Registered
156 Posts
Throw some corn out an call the DNR-stick a cow with an arrow and lay it by there stand- stick a dog with an arrow lay it by there stand. throw some pot seeds by there stands. Put some deer away scent by there stand , ride a 4 wheeler during hunting season. put a trail camera down there an see what there up too. you could do some things to there truck but that might be going too far.:D

·
Registered
341 Posts
Why not just ask your dad for a lease for you and your brother? You could also pick up the costs associated with the land as a respectable favor to him like pay the property taxes or pay the iability insurance for hunting.
I guess I'm trying to say that you could prove to your father that you have a strong interest in hunting the land and will take a very responsible approach to get it exclusively. You should also try to become the families spokesperson for that land so people don't go behind you to your father.

JMHO

Lane

·
Registered
745 Posts
Roballen,

I had this problem a few years ago with my father. THe only difference the people that were hunting were cousins that were very unethical and unsafe. Dad, did not want to get involved, because of the family relationship, so I told him that I would take care of it, and do it in a way so no one would be upset. What I suggested to my father was; deed the property over to me, and I will give you a life estate back. What that means is: 1) When my father dies the property is already mine, and does not have any inhertance(sp) tax on it, and 2) Dad still controlls the property. By doing this I was able to go and speak with my uncle and aunt, and tell them that I did not want their son hunting on the property anymore. I said it a little nicer then that, but that was the just of it. What it also did, is take the responsibility off of my father, so he was not the bad guy. Good luck, and happy hunting!

·
Registered
496 Posts
Dacotah the explanation of what the 17 years he provided is how I understood it. If they tresspassed for 17 years I would not have felt the same. also is baiting illegal in Kentucky? If it is then I would kick them off. If it isn't and he never said they couldn't do it why would they assume they couldn't.

·
Registered
784 Posts
I have no idea about baiting in Ky, and good point. Expecially after so many years, the hunters probably feel pretty comfortable with the place.

I'm glad they are getting it worked out.

Let us know how it ends.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Baiting for Deer in Kentucky is illegal on State and Managed Wildlife Management areas. Even though they did this on Private land they still should have asked permission regardless.
Our dad had a cow when we asked him if we could plant some food plots.

·
Registered
496 Posts
I think plowing a spot and putting in a food plot is a little more invasive then a feeder. I would have asked to put in a plot but not a feeder. But that is just me, it would be boring if we all had the same opinion. Hope it all works out. But try asking to hunt on some of their other spots. If they don't let you work on your dad for next year. Hunting is not as important as the relationship with your dad!!

·
Registered
268 Posts
What the heck?

What about blood is thicker than water? Dadgum. I say if you dad doesn't care either way.....call them and tell them not to hunt their anymore. Be nice, courteous, and firm.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts