Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
889 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
how many of you guys use only one pin to deer hunt with? I use to set one pin at 25 yards and hold high or low for 20 or 30 yards. Im thinkin about going back to this set up because all of the pins on my sight now (20,30,40,50 yds) are making it tough for me to focus on one pin when at full draw on a deer.

·
Registered
427 Posts
have 5 pins. 20/25/30/35/40. I sight in with 1" dots. Aim small miss small :) longest shot though is 32 yrds to probably could do with less but I bought the sight so I could go 20-60 for out west..

·
Registered
655 Posts
I have always hunted with one pin. Now I shoot with the HHA Opitmizer and love the sight. I completely understand what your says with have all those pins up there.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
I'm out west so I have a 5 pin now and I have a 7 pin in the closet for backup. 20, 30, 40, 50, and 60yds. Longest shot on game is 52yds., and make 60yds. my limit.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I'll buy that hotfoot

I think single pin sights are great! Most all bows these days are shooting 300+ fps. You stack 3 or 4 pins coming from the side and all you've done is cut off your field of view. I understand the point about not wanting to worry about adjusting a sight in the field, but c'mon, at these speeds, a little hold over covers you out to 40 yds with the majority of shots being taken at your 20 yard bait pile (at least that used to be the case in MI...). I really like the design of the G5 Optix 2 pin sight. It has a fixed single pin, and one adjustable that I would keep adjusted at the bottom unless I saw something coming in for that long shot, in which I'd have time to turn a knob. I'm curious to see if the industry takes a swing towards more single pin sights with the fast speeds, but the standard fixed pin mind-set will be the majority for a while IMO.

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
I have always hunted with one pin. Now I shoot with the HHA Opitmizer and love the sight. I completely understand what your says with have all those pins up there.
x2

I have never moved the lever on my HHA while hunting

I set it at 27 yds and forget about it

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Wouldn't it be cheaper just to move your other pins down? My friend has the same problem and uses 2 pins for hunting, One set at 20 and other set at 40 yards.

·
Registered
243 Posts
i shoot a fuse buck horn 3 pin. the first is 0-30 2nd is 35-45 and the 3rd is 50-60. for me one is not enough and five or more is to many. i like three pins.

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
I'm in the process of selling my Sword Centurion and just bought a Spot Hogg Seven deadly pins .010 wrapped sight for hunting. I was concerned that in a tight situation I wouldn't be able to adjust the sight if need me. Now I'm going to the other extreme and clogging the sight with 7 pins.

I'll let you know how it goes when I kill a deer in a few weeks.

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
I also set my HHA at 25yds and leave it. Probably 99% of my shots have been inside 30 yds. For longer shots, which very rarely happens, it only takes a second to move the slider. For me the single pin slider was the best hunting investment I ever made, no chance of ever picking the wrong pin during the moment of truth! :wink: The key is knowing your equipment so you automatically know where to hold.

·
Registered
4,596 Posts
Barebow. Just kidding, I use 18 pins. Just kidding again. Your gonna miss it anyway hotfoot :chortle:

·
Registered
672 Posts
I used to shoot just one but now shoot three, 30, 40, 50. I use the 50 when i'm within 5-7 yards. I like this set up a lot better

1 - 13 of 13 Posts