Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys I figure one of you should be able to help me with this.
I just got remarried:) :) My husband loves to hunt but archery is new to him. I bought him a new Martin Scepter for christmas last year. He seemed to like it and is a pretty good shot with it to be a first year archer. I've been shooting since I was a kid so I'm a better shot than he is at least for right now. He says it doesn't bother him but i think it does.
Anyways at 20 and 30 yards he can hit a 6" circle almost every time. He wanted to shoot magnus broadheads since he killed a deer with them last year. Last year he was shooting a twenty year old bow that is right handed and he was shooting it left handed. He had the worst form I had ever seen triing to shoot this thing how he killed a deer with it I don't know.
The magnus broadheads shoot everywhere on the target. Now he has decided there are to many things that can go wrong bow hunting and is giving me heck about it.:mad: :mad: I ordered him some mechanical broadheads hoping to fix the problem. He is very disgruntled about the whole situation. Please give me some advice on how to chill him out. I don't want to Bowhunt alone this year and have wasted 600.00 on a bow.

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
Hoyt gal said:
Ok guys I figure one of you should be able to help me with this.
I just got remarried:) :) My husband loves to hunt but archery is new to him. I bought him a new Martin Scepter for christmas last year. He seemed to like it and is a pretty good shot with it to be a first year archer. I've been shooting since I was a kid so I'm a better shot than he is at least for right now. He says it doesn't bother him but i think it does.
Anyways at 20 and 30 yards he can hit a 6" circle almost every time. He wanted to shoot magnus broadheads since he killed a deer with them last year. Last year he was shooting a twenty year old bow that is right handed and he was shooting it left handed. He had the worst form I had ever seen triing to shoot this thing how he killed a deer with it I don't know.
The magnus broadheads shoot everywhere on the target. Now he has decided there are to many things that can go wrong bow hunting and is giving me heck about it.:mad: :mad: I ordered him some mechanical broadheads hoping to fix the problem. He is very disgruntled about the whole situation. Please give me some advice on how to chill him out. I don't want to Bowhunt alone this year and have wasted 600.00 on a bow.
Tanya,

I see one key thing in your post that just glared out at me. You say he was shooting a right handed bow with his left hand, and now is trying to shoot a right handed bow right handed. I assume he is right handed and that is why you got him a right handed bow and you have tried to correct his form so he is shooting right handed.

I am just guessing here, but could it be that he is right handed, but left eye dominant? If so, that could be the cause of his shooting problems, especially if he was shooting fine the other way. I assume since you've been shooting so long, you have the bow fitted and tuned correctly to him of course.

Some people just have to shoot the way they are comfortable. My wife shoots shotgun right handed with her left eye. Caused some problems when we tried to get her to shoot with her right eye. We just concentrated on good form with her being comfortable, which meant using her left eye. She shoots just fine that way.

·
Registered
396 Posts
magnus heads shoot very well.....my suggestion is to get the bow tuned and also the arrows,then he should be shooting great with the magnus'.

maxx

·
Registered
3,172 Posts
maybe he just needs to put the bow down for a bit, take a break if you will. I think that you are correct in thinking that you shooting better bothers him. I think the lack of accuracy with the broadheads is also weighing on him. I thin kyou are on the right track with the mechanicals though. get his confidence back and take him out hunting.

·
Registered
11,632 Posts
I don't think it has anything to do with the b-heads, if he is that sporatic it is in his form.
I wish I had some solid advice for you, or him, but I'm sure he is a little put back by a women kicking his butt on the range. :embara:
I would suggest he visits an archery/pro shop to get properly fitted with the bow, proper draw length, etc.
Hopefully that will help. Maybe if he shoots for a while by himself till he gets his confidence up things will be a little "smoother" for you? Right now he's probably a little upset that you can out shoot him.
I commend you for trying to help him out. It's usually the other way around and the husband is here posting about his wife. :wink:
Good luck to you both!!!

Lien2

·
Registered
819 Posts
well i cant help you understand him anymore than i can understand my wife at times:wink: . that being said when you get the new broadheads have him try them when he starts to hit the target more he will come around. hope this helps

·
Registered
438 Posts
Divorce him and marry me..:cocktail:

Obviously I am kidding....I would keep him shooting field tips at close range to build his confidence. You know, tell him how good he is....and how you can't believe he can pull that much weight....We eat that stuff up!!
Then move to mechanicals or fixed heads like sonic or slick trick. Anyone that is shooting well will enjoy it as much as you and I.

Good Luck!!!

Oh..I almost forget...make sure you miss really bad on purpose a few times. That will surely perk him up:wink:

·
Registered
10,277 Posts
What glares out at me is using mechanicals as a band-aid for poor broadhead flight. If his magnus heads are all over, help him figure out the problem - either alignment issues, or tuning issues. You want to build up his confidence? Get those heads flying perfect and it will happen.

Now...you want to just go alone? Tell him you are going and go!

·
Registered
18,882 Posts
Like anything in a marriage, not everything goes the way you want. Maybe he should see a coach, or check his eye dominance as suggested, or maybe you two should go thru a 3d season together first so by end of next summer he's a killin' machine with that sceptre.

Let's talk about the BHs. You say his Magnus heads are all over the target, does that mean he's pretty good with field points? You may also want to trade that Martin in for a nice video camera, and put his stand just above yours. ;)

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
3 comments for you:

1) It ain't the Magnus heads causing the accuracy problem (particulary if he
is shooting the Stinger models)......

2) Get him into a good Pro-Shop where they can fit arrows, head-weight and
bow-site to him.....

3) If he is left-eye dominant and shooting a right-hand bow, he's probably
having fits....

Sure sounds like some mis-matched gear going on here......:sad:

·
Registered
3,584 Posts
first

thing is that you got re-married...... j/k!!!

i think it is bothering him a little bit. i know if my wife did something better than me i would try my hardest to show her up( luckily for me that doesn;t happen though.... LOL) i think he may be trying to hard plus the fact of the left handed right handed thing. maybe there is some thing there. take me for instance..... i've always shot right handed, gun and bow, it wasn't until i broke my collar bone that i finally figured out that i shot gun better left handed. so now bow is right gun is left.
i can understand you not wanting to go alone but until he feels more comfortable you might have to. i say tell him to put it down for a week or so and try again. i don't think the blades are the issue i think it was his form from before and he may be reverting back to it in between shot somewhat.

speed

·
Registered
970 Posts
My response will have a little less to do with his ability to shoot as with his enjoyment of it. You mentioned that you think it bothers him a bit that you are shooting better than he. My experience in my own marriage and a little psychology thrown in is that this is more important to his enjoying it than the first glance might say (yes, men really are kinda stupid this way).

Example: I've been a guitar player for 13 years, and am pretty good. My wife, however, is a classically trained, professional musician and is way better than I could ever hope to be at music. At first, I tried to keep up, but got frustrated and felt a little embarrassed, so that she doesn't give me music advice because she knows it stings a little. That way I still enjoy playing and we have taken care of a smaller trouble spot. Same thing happened the other way around when I tried to teach her to ski; I've been doing it forever, and she has trouble.

The best thing might be to let a pro-shop fit him out, all that stuff, and do the teaching. Be supportive no matter what and don't criticize, point out things he could do better (unless he asks) and stuff like that. It sounds ******ed that guys are that way, but it's really true. That way, he'll be more likely to enjoy shooting, shoot better, and spend more time shooting and hunting with you.

·
Registered
131 Posts
bbarnett51 said:
Divorce him and marry me..:cocktail:

Obviously I am kidding....I would keep him shooting field tips at close range to build his confidence. You know, tell him how good he is....and how you can't believe he can pull that much weight....We eat that stuff up!!
Then move to mechanicals or fixed heads like sonic or slick trick. Anyone that is shooting well will enjoy it as much as you and I.

Good Luck!!!

Oh..I almost forget...make sure you miss really bad on purpose a few times. That will surely perk him up:wink:
I DONE SAME THING WITH MY WIFE WHEN SHE STARTED, I TRIED TO MOVE HER TO FAST UP IN WEIGHT AND SHOOTING TO FAR, FORGET YARDAGE, GET AT 10 YARDS AND WORK ON FORM AND SMOOTH TRIGGER PULL, THEN EASE BACK ON DISTANCE, I HAVE MY WIFE SHOOTING GREAT AT 20 YARDS WITH 45 POUNDS AND 24" DRAW AND SHE HAS ONLY BEEN SHOOTING FOR 4 MONTHS, AND YES I WOULD BE HARD ON MYSELF IF MY WIFE OUTSHOT ME, SO DONT MAKE IT LOOK ON PURPOSE, BUT START GROUPING A LITTLE WORSE AND ACT LIKE YOU DONT KNOW WHAT THE PROBLEM IS, SOUNDS LIKE HE HAS A GREAT WIFE AND WILL ENJOY SPENDING TIME WITH YOU IN THE WOODS,

·
Registered
240 Posts
Honestly if he cann't keep ALL of the arrows in a group tighter then 6" at 20 and 30 yards then new broadheads are not the answer. You know what to look for ie. proper spined arrows & draw length, relaxed grip and release pressure. My wifes biggest problem was she treated the release like a shotgun trigger,finger came from half inch away and slapped the trigger when she wanted to fire. Got her to settle down and squeeeze the trigger like a varmit rifle instead of hammering it and her groups went from 10" to 3" at 20 yards.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Hoyt Gal...

If he says that too many things can go wrong and he now doesn't want to hunt with a bow it sounds like you may have overloaded him.
Remember you are a veteran with the bow. If you step back and think about it there are many things we need to do as bowhunters to be successful. Almost too many things for the beginner to still see fun in it. For you and i and the many other s here on AT we relish all the little things we do because they are now second nature but to a beginner it can be overwhelming. Give him a break let him progress to the new and better accessories as HE sees fit.
Some of the things you are probably showing him he doesn't even know the resaon for doing those things or using this or that type of equipment.
Remember he is alsmost like a youth archer just starting out and you wouldn't want to pressure the youngster into anything he is not ready for.
Let him take his time and come slowly up to your level.
If in fact he is feeling a hit to his ego because you are better right now you need to be supportive and tell him thats not an issue at all.
Remember have fun with him when you are shooting your bows together.
Let him start out very simple. You could always have him use a recurve bow with sights, this way he would not have the stigma of you being better than him to deal with because there is certainly less expectation of precision with the recurve for the begginer. But with the ability that you say he shows already he should be able to still hit that 6" pie plate with the recurve with the sights at twenty yards and really thats all you need to do for him .
Hope you two have fun out there and I hope he picks up the bow again, you guys will have great fun.
But idfall else fails just buy an ATV and drag those deer out with that, until he gets up to speed.

Good Huntin'

Joe Lorenti

·
Registered
3,034 Posts
What's it say in your prenuptial agreement??? Does he HAVE to bow hunt with you??? :wink: Save yourself a bunch of headaches ... trade the bow in for some golf clubs and hunt with somebody else. "You can lead a horse to water;" etc, etc, etc.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts