Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
10,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for a cheap recurve to get into, got any suggestions on what poundage limbs I should start with and a cheap recurve that will hold up for hunting whitetail?

My draw length with a compound is about 27" and 52#

·
Registered
203 Posts
Is 30# limbs legal for whitetail where you live?

I have a 1968 Fred Bear Super Kodiak, 60" AMO length 48# @ 28". Got on ebay for $210.

Just FYI the minimum poundage in IL is 40. I don't know what it is in MN, but check your laws before ordering your bow. Don't get me wrong, 30lb would kill a deer, it just may not be legal.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Is 30# limbs legal for whitetail where you live?

I have a 1968 Fred Bear Super Kodiak, 60" AMO length 48# @ 28". Got on ebay for $210.

Just FYI the minimum poundage in IL is 40. I don't know what it is in MN, but check your laws before ordering your bow. Don't get me wrong, 30lb would kill a deer, it just may not be legal.
I suggested the light limbs to start shooting with, not to start hunting with. Unless the op has shot a recurve before they won't be able to handle much more weight accurately just starting out. I shoot #55 and #60 recurves but i didn't start out at those draw weights.

·
Registered
4,510 Posts
I suggested the light limbs to start shooting with, not to start hunting with. Unless the op has shot a recurve before they won't be able to handle much more weight accurately just starting out. I shoot #55 and #60 recurves but i didn't start out at those draw weights.
Exactly. Solid advice to start out with a lighter set of limbs. Practice practice and then practice some more. Only after you get proficient and comfortable with the lighter limbs would I advise moving up. Do it in five pound increments. 45 lbs is plenty to kill deer with. Samick Sage is going to be your best option for low cost and capable of standing up to hunting use.

·
Registered
6,792 Posts
I would look at the sammick red stag instead of the sage. The sage has a huge grip on it you can't hardly even get your had around it. The red stag costs just a little more and is a nicer bow. The red stag is quiet and quick, its a lot of bow for the money.

·
Registered
4,510 Posts
Two models of the Red Stag as well. One piece and a takedown. Might be more than the OP wants to spend though. I don't think the Sage has too large of a grip. Not the most slender grip but I've felt and shot customs that had much fatter grips.

·
Registered
10,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Two models of the Red Stag as well. One piece and a takedown. Might be more than the OP wants to spend though. I don't think the Sage has too large of a grip. Not the most slender grip but I've felt and shot customs that had much fatter grips.
The red stag is definitely in my budget/price range, so I'm either looking at the red stag or the sage.

Exactly. Solid advice to start out with a lighter set of limbs. Practice practice and then practice some more. Only after you get proficient and comfortable with the lighter limbs would I advise moving up. Do it in five pound increments. 45 lbs is plenty to kill deer with. Samick Sage is going to be your best option for low cost and capable of standing up to hunting use.
Yeah, I will definitely start out with 30-35# limbs, that's the same advice I got when I was pondering the thought of buying a cheap recurve to play around with and possibly use for bow fishing last spring.

-------------------------------------------------

So now a couple other questions:

A. How do I know what length to get? (aka A-T-A for me lol)

B. Do most of you guys that hunt or shoot with them just shoot instinctively I'm guessing with no sight or rest?

C. Also how do you learn how to aim? I know. You have to establish a solid/consistent anchor, but I still do get the once pt of 'aiming' with a recurve as far as left, right, up, and down.

D. Would I want a take-down or a one piece; what's the difference other that the obvious fact of being able to break it down.

E. And lastly, do most of you recurve hunters shooters use a finger tab or a finger tip glove?

·
Registered
210 Posts
you could get the samick sage in say 35# then when your ready, you can buy 40# limbs and so on. to me that's a big advantage in most takedowns. one piece bows are usually lighter in the hand. if you catch the trad bug your gonna end up with a few bows. I have owned a couple samick sage over the years and I think they are a great bang for the buck. and if the trad bug doesn't bite your not out to much. glove or tab is just personal, I shoot a heavy glove. the samick sage with a bear hair rest and plate and it will shoot just fine off the shelf. the sage is 62" bow it will cover most draw lengths.

·
Registered
10,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

B. Do most of you guys that hunt or shoot with them just shoot instinctively I'm guessing with no sight or rest?

C. Also how do you learn how to aim? I know. You have to establish a solid/consistent anchor, but I still do get the once pt of 'aiming' with a recurve as far as left, right, up, and down.

D. Would I want a take-down or a one piece; what's the difference other that the obvious fact of being able to break it down.

E. And lastly, do most of you recurve hunters shooters use a finger tab or a finger tip glove?
Ttt

·
Shootin and Cussin
24,101 Posts
A. How do I know what length to get? (aka A-T-A for me lol) That's just personal preference. I prefer a longer bow. They have a smoother draw cycle in most cases.

B. Do most of you guys that hunt or shoot with them just shoot instinctively I'm guessing with no sight or rest? Yep. Instinctive and off the shelf.

C. Also how do you learn how to aim? I know. You have to establish a solid/consistent anchor, but I still do get the once pt of 'aiming' with a recurve as far as left, right, up, and down. Just practice. Find what works for you and stick with it.

D. Would I want a take-down or a one piece; what's the difference other that the obvious fact of being able to break it down. I have both. I prefer a take-down for ease of transport and storage. My one piece is a bow that I killed my first deer with. In 1972.

E. And lastly, do most of you recurve hunters shooters use a finger tab or a finger tip glove? I prefer a glove for hunting so all I shoot is a glove.

The Samick take-down is a very good choice to start with. Start with 30# limbs and shoot them for a while. Then, if oyu want, get 35# and sell the 30#. Same with 40#. I hunt with 40# on a Hoyt Tibouron and 43# on a Wing Slim Line Pro.

·
Registered
10,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
A. How do I know what length to get? (aka A-T-A for me lol) That's just personal preference. I prefer a longer bow. They have a smoother draw cycle in most cases.

B. Do most of you guys that hunt or shoot with them just shoot instinctively I'm guessing with no sight or rest? Yep. Instinctive and off the shelf.

C. Also how do you learn how to aim? I know. You have to establish a solid/consistent anchor, but I still do get the once pt of 'aiming' with a recurve as far as left, right, up, and down. Just practice. Find what works for you and stick with it.

D. Would I want a take-down or a one piece; what's the difference other that the obvious fact of being able to break it down. I have both. I prefer a take-down for ease of transport and storage. My one piece is a bow that I killed my first deer with. In 1972.

E. And lastly, do most of you recurve hunters shooters use a finger tab or a finger tip glove? I prefer a glove for hunting so all I shoot is a glove.

The Samick take-down is a very good choice to start with. Start with 30# limbs and shoot them for a while. Then, if oyu want, get 35# and sell the 30#. Same with 40#. I hunt with 40# on a Hoyt Tibouron and 43# on a Wing Slim Line Pro.
Thanks for the response shpoet

·
Registered
3,513 Posts
The red stag is definitely in my budget/price range, so I'm either looking at the red stag or the sage.

Yeah, I will definitely start out with 30-35# limbs, that's the same advice I got when I was pondering the thought of buying a cheap recurve to play around with and possibly use for bow fishing last spring.

-------------------------------------------------

Follow this link and buy at least book one and book II. Instinctive shooting is very enjoyable and you won't believe the rush you get when you shoot your first deer. Asbell's first book is the only one he had out when I learned and it is very good.

https://blackwidowbows.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=114_127&product_id=344

1 - 17 of 17 Posts