Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have a drop away rest, but am having some issues with it and after quite a bit of looking around and research believe you could have some serious issues with all drop aways. I know stationary rests can have their problems too, but you just increase the possibilities with drop aways. I'm strictly a hunter looking for consistent killing performance. I have been considering the GKF Royal Hunter and was looking for feed back on this or any other good hunting rest. Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
I have tried a couple of draop aways and I feel they certainly have thier place. But my preference is a spring loaded conventional rest. I have the GK Royal Hunter on my hunting bow and I love it. The action is silky smooth and it is VERY, VERY quiet when the spring returns back up. Of course it also has the bridged design so there is no play what so ever in the end of the launcher rod.

I don't believe you will be disappointed at all.

·
Registered
5,341 Posts
Whisker Biscuit! I have been bow hunting for 53 years and have tried many rest, the WB is tops for hunting.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Get a Whisker Biscuit

In thirty years of shooting compound bows the only rest that has never bent, broke, gotten out of adjustment, or dropped an arrow for me is the whisker biscuit. Good luck hunting!

·
Registered
852 Posts
I've been using the GKF 3D Rover on my hunting bow the last couple of seasons, and it's been OUTSTANDING!!!! With the dual bearing bridge design, it's smooth as silk, and about as bullet proof a hunting rest as you could ever ask for... The other rests that were mentioned are all good rests, but take a look at the 3D Rover - you'll be glad you did...

- georgestrings

·
Registered
155 Posts
Royal Hunter

I have the Royal Hunter on my hunting bow and would not consider changing it. It is built on solid platform and I really like the horse shoe launchers. A little shrink tube on the tips and it is good and quiet.
Mike:D

·
Registered
109 Posts
rest

Ever try a GKF funnel rest

·
Registered
11,651 Posts
Savage Derringer drop Away

Savage Arcehry has a drop away that doesnt work on string or cables used a magnet t hat is patented....slick and silent

Works great works every time no side issues tunes in 5 min

Works even with finger shooters and huge helical fletch

·
Registered
19,164 Posts
If I were going to use a rest other than my Trophy Taker, especially one not a dropaway; and I could be happy shooting non-heilical fletching then I would choose a NAP 1000 pro.
It is a simple easy to use rest.

·
Registered
14,403 Posts
Javelina,

I use a hard helical fletch with my NAP 1000 Pro, and no clearance issues. Perfect arrow flight. Takes a little more work, but a rock solid hunting setup.

·
Registered
19,164 Posts
Meleagris1

I agree, but for $69 and 5 minutes to setup; why bother....:D

The 5" bohning, 11 deg. heilical vanes I shoot, made gaining the necessary clearance a real trial. So instead of pulling my hair out I changed rests. Problem sloved, and I've never shot better.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Another great rest to check out would be the GKF Speed Set Hunter. Great price too.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
I think there are several good non-dropaway style rests for hunting, look for smooth quiet operation and micro adjustability. The rests that just lock down are more dificult to fine tune and generally lead to a "close enough" attitude. Remember getting a hunting bow tuned to shoot broadheads requires more effort then for field points.

I personally use a GKF 3D Rover.

I had a NAP Quicktune 3000 that I had to get rid of because it would not return to the same height after each shot.

Targetnut

·
Registered
5,700 Posts
gkf makes several good rests including a couple of good drop aways. i have used the 3d rover and acouple of others from them. also used nap qt's and those are real good rests also am now using a whisker bisquit on my ar37 and a gkf t.k.o. drop away for my back up. good luck and i am sure the one your looking towards will do you a great job gkf is a number 1 company.
rob k

·
Registered
5,105 Posts
Whisker biscuit! I have shot most everything out there, and this is the best "hunting" rest made. I was very skeptical for several years, but I finally tried one, and I will shoot nothing else on my bows.

Dan

·
Registered
52 Posts
bodoodle

the bodoodle is the rest for me, i've tried the W/B but feel it has to much drag and slows my arrow too much.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts