Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Broke and Happy
5,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright fellas...just check my cameras for the final time and now I have a decision to make. I have a buck going by my stand most evenings with about an hour and a half of daylight left. He is a main frame 8pt with splits brows on both sides, 18" inside spread, probably right around 130"...but he is the 4th largest buck I have saw on my cameras this year. Season opens Thursday amd there is a good chance I will see him, wind is PERFECT...do you take him knowing you still have 3 months of season left, plus the rut? Indiana does have the 1 buck rule as well....what to do!!!!

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
That depends on how confident you are that you can get a shot at one of the bigger bucks later in the season.

·
Registered
749 Posts
I have waited before and it bit me hard! If I had to do over would of shot similar size 130" passed it up cause there was a big one. The landowner shot it first day of gun season.:icon_1_lol:

·
Registered
868 Posts
Alright fellas...just check my cameras for the final time and now I have a decision to make. I have a buck going by my stand most evenings with about an hour and a half of daylight left. He is a main frame 8pt with splits brows on both sides, 18" inside spread, probably right around 130"...but he is the 4th largest buck I have saw on my cameras this year. Season opens Thursday amd there is a good chance I will see him, wind is PERFECT...do you take him knowing you still have 3 months of season left, plus the rut? Indiana does have the 1 buck rule as well....what to do!!!!
i would say it depends what you already have on the wall. not a bad problem to have though!!! good luck

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
Depends on your expectations....how many deer you have taken etc. For me.....it would be a no brainer....I would take him on opening day and never look back. You may have a basement full of 8pt racks taken with your bow.....I don't.

How about this:

You pass on him on opening day and you eat tag soup this year.....how do you feel then? If that would be Ok with you then maybe you hold out for a GIANT (in my best Stan Potts voice)

Good luck on whatever you decide to do!

·
Registered
10,277 Posts
You should let me come over Thursday and shoot him.:darkbeer: I will even trade you a MO hunt.

If a 130 walks by me it gets shot, whether it is the first minute in stand or the last, and he will get put on the wall. Everyone has their standards...130 is within mine.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
i agree you pass and you could eat tag soap. i have the same problem going on right now. i have two giants and a couple real good 8 pointers that i have seen. tell you what im going to do the first one that offers me the shot i take it. if a deer makes you happy and the hunt was great than take him.

·
Banned
1,312 Posts
Green co. Holds some great deer. I would let him walk until rut. If he is there now you will see him again during rut. A deer season is more than a buck tag. Its about the experience. Make the most out of a season. Unless of course he is the buck of a lifetime. I'm dealin with that problem here in ks. I have let a 145 10 point walk 3 times. Its fun to watch him and not get caught by him. Good luck man!

·
Broke and Happy
5,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks fellas, all some great advice! He would be my biggest bow buck, but I am pretty picky. I did the same thing last year, saw some monster rubs/tracks and ended up passing on a solid buck, never saw another buck in range all season. Decisions decisions...

As for the MO guy, you have big deer in Mizzu, why would you want a tiny hoosier buck? :embara:

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Do you get another buck tag during the gun season, if you are going to hunt during the gun season?

Another thing, you can look at it like going to a bar and picking up women. If the night is early do you put all your chips in one bag and try to bag one early, or do you wait at the end of the night to see if you can pick up a drunk one??? :darkbeer:

In my cases take the for sure thing early in the night, cause you never know what you are going wake up to if you wait till the end of the night. :confused:

·
Registered
7,439 Posts
Well it’s kind of hypocritical for me to say this but:embara:……

Don’t pass as shot on the first day that you wouldn’t pass on the last.:darkbeer:

·
Registered
780 Posts
there are worse things you could do than pass him...do you have exclusive rights to the land? I have found that I usually get at least one good oportunity at a real good shooter a year (140-160 ) sometimes I pull it off, sometimes I don't. I played alot of sports when I was younger and I love to compete. My question to you is....before the little league season started, if the coach said you can come in second place right now and get a trophy after winning the first game of the season.....would you? I wouldn't....I want to compete and come in first......JMHO

·
Registered
4,408 Posts
all up to you.The first time in he might just not come back, it doesnt take long for a good buck to know you are there.

·
Registered
569 Posts
The old sayin' "bird in the hand" comes to mind. That being said, I usually go with the longshot, cause the buck is not what I'm really after. It's the thrill of the hunt. Otherwise I'd be savin my coin to hunt one of those pen-raised giants with a money-back guarantee. If you have that many trophy animals on your place, you're in for a very fine season, and I will envy you. Not for what you might kill, but for the experience of the chase! Good luck with your decision!

·
Registered
3,624 Posts
If theres no other hunters around, hunt a different stand for the other 3 bucks. If no luck go try and stick him on day 2. If it were me id go for him first day, best chances....and split brows??! id be all for that.

·
Registered
788 Posts
Confucious say: "A bloody arrow in the hand is better than two in the bush....unless they are tipped with rages" :darkbeer:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts