Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm wanting to set up a hunting rig for when I cross the pond to try hunting with you guys. And where best to ask than here. :)
It is illeagal to hunt with a bow here in the UK as you all know, I love to hunt and I love archery so I have to take the trip of a lifetime to combine the two.

I've narrowed my list down as far as the bow is concerned.
The other stuff, well thats where I need the advice.

I was thinking for the bow; Mathews Z7, Reason, or Monster 7 or Bowtech Destroyer 340. Top of my list to try is the Destroyer 340. (I shoot a Sentinel presently) Obviously it's all down to fit and feel, haven't shot any of those yet.
I guess 70# would be best? ... I'd have to build up to that, currently shoot 60#.

The rest, I would like a full containment drop away, quick enough to give good clearence with these fast bows?
The sight, I would like 5 pin (So I can play target a bit in UK). Should be damn tough, good easy adjustability and I would prefer the ability to fit a lens?
I use a wrist release already.

Stabilizer ... Depends on the bow of course.
Bow mounted quiver ??

I'll decide on the arrows later, but what is a good finnished weight to be aiming for?
I guess mechanical broad heads .... Reason I say that is; I believe most Mech Broadhead manufacturers sell practice points, same size and weight just without the blades?
If I'm seen with broadheads here I'm in the brown stuff!!

If you were choosing a good setup and money was no object, what would it be, what advice would you give me? ........
If I'm visiting you guys at some point I don't want to look tooo much like an 'English Greenhorn' toting some fancy setup that ain't goin to work in the real world !! :eek: .. I'd rather be an English Greenhorn with the right gear! ;)

·
Registered
3,015 Posts
I would choose a bow that best compliments your hunting style, tree stand ground blind hiking, sitting on a water hole what ever you are going to do.
I like my mathews Hyperlight because it is light and easy to carry while I hike around.

The rest you are looking for is any of these
Vital bow gear Kazaway (I have one and really like it)
QAD (my wife has one and it works great.)
Rip cord ( I have had one and it worked great)
Can't think of any others right of the top of my head.

Sight I like a slider but my wife has an Axiom that she likes and if I ever bought a fixed pin again that is probably what i would get.

As far as quiver goes If you get a Mathews bow get the arrow web it is made for the bow and is the lightest one I have ever seen.( I have the T-5)
If you are going out west and will be hiking then having it on your bow is probably the most preferred. but if you are doing a back east hunt where tree stands are king then you could go wither way.

If you want the stabilizer for vibration control then I personally don't think you can beat an S-coil.
Good luck and post pics when you get her all set up.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would choose a bow that best compliments your hunting style, tree stand ground blind hiking, sitting on a water hole what ever you are going to do.
I like my mathews Hyperlight because it is light and easy to carry while I hike around.

The rest you are looking for is any of these
Vital bow gear Kazaway (I have one and really like it)
QAD (my wife has one and it works great.)
Rip cord ( I have had one and it worked great)
Can't think of any others right of the top of my head.

Sight I like a slider but my wife has an Axiom that she likes and if I ever bought a fixed pin again that is probably what i would get.

As far as quiver goes If you get a Mathews bow get the arrow web it is made for the bow and is the lightest one I have ever seen.( I have the T-5)
If you are going out west and will be hiking then having it on your bow is probably the most preferred. but if you are doing a back east hunt where tree stands are king then you could go wither way.

If you want the stabilizer for vibration control then I personally don't think you can beat an S-coil.
Good luck and post pics when you get her all set up.
..... I'll go check out those items.
I'd like to try all but I do have a love of stalking, I enjoy that chalange with my Daystate so I guess I would prefer to be on the ground most of time.
From that then, lighter would be better. In woodland I guess short a2a would be more manouverable.
Cheers! ... Just the sort of pointers I need, considering these simple points does not come natural to target orientated archers in the UK, I'm sure.

·
Registered
3,015 Posts
Oh I forgot the 60lbs is not a big deal you can kill any thing north America Has to offer with that.

Check ebay and the AT Classifieds you can find stuff pretty cheap but the shipping may be a problem.

I like my short ATA bow but it did take some getting used to, I used to think nothing of a 60 yard shot but now 45-50 is really stretching things. Not sure which I have but it is a 7" or 8" S-coil, just to give it some more stability while I got used to it. Now I can use either the 5" piece or the shorter one depending on where I am hunting and how far I have to go.

The nice thing about those rests are they are all full containment drop a ways, and I have yet to her some one complain that they don't fall fast enough. Either way they are all nice and work well.
There are many different sights to choose from, but like I said I am partial to the slider. Sure loc does make some of theirs so that you can put a lens in it, and there are a lot to folks that shoot that. I would say that one and the Toxonics are the top two for target shooters.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh I forgot the 60lbs is not a big deal you can kill any thing north America Has to offer with that.

Check ebay and the AT Classifieds you can find stuff pretty cheap but the shipping may be a problem.

I like my short ATA bow but it did take some getting used to, I used to think nothing of a 60 yard shot but now 45-50 is really stretching things. Not sure which I have but it is a 7" or 8" S-coil, just to give it some more stability while I got used to it. Now I can use either the 5" piece or the shorter one depending on where I am hunting and how far I have to go.

The nice thing about those rests are they are all full containment drop a ways, and I have yet to her some one complain that they don't fall fast enough. Either way they are all nice and work well.
There are many different sights to choose from, but like I said I am partial to the slider. Sure loc does make some of theirs so that you can put a lens in it, and there are a lot to folks that shoot that. I would say that one and the Toxonics are the top two for target shooters.
Cheers!
I think I'll be looking for around the 33" ATA, I wouldn't be expecting to glean the same accuracy as my Sentinel. I really like the look of the Bowtech Destroyer 340 (Hate the name though) @ 32 1/2" ATA ...
You say 60lbs peak would be ok, that's good to know, save my aching muscles and I guess with these fast bows speed would be adequate.
Sure loc .. I'll go and have a gander.
Just spotted, HHA do a lens for their gear.
The QAD Pro rest looks nice ... I'll check out the other.
I've seen the S Coil stabs, size will be down to feel, you can get them over here (about the only thing other than the bow though :( ) ... so no probs checking them out.

·
Registered
3,015 Posts
Ya my bow is 29.75 on the ATA so that makes it kinda short. But you should be good to go with what ever shoots good for you

And the most important thing about the draw weight is that you can pull and let down comfortable after you have been cold, or after just clearing a long climb.

The most important thing about your gear is that you feel good shooting it and its comfortable.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
make sure you look the regs over really well in whatever state you plan on hunting that can have a lot to do with your sight choice, no lens here in idaho.

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
What are ya planning on hunting and where because if you are gonna hunt elk you should go heavier arrow and fixed blade head (esp. since some stated do not allow mech.broadheads). If you are going for whitetail then you can lighten up a little on the arrow weight and could go with mech. broadhead (still make sure they are legal in the state you are going to). But 60lbs is plenty of DW to take most any game here. If you like spot and stalk I would recommend a western hunt ie Colorado, Montana, Wyoming for elk or mule deer or maybe even California for blacktail and hogs. Just thought i would give ya some ideas.

·
Registered
3,224 Posts
For bow... Your choice but I would definately try an elite. Sight, you explained spott hog to a "t". Stabilizer definately try b stinger, they are the best stab imo. Rest, limbdriver. They hold the arrow the longest while dropping the fastest at the end meaning no contact and they are very easy to setup. Quiver, get a one piece. I would try kwikee. They are cheap and donot touch the broadhead at all. I want my broadheads sharp as can be and they can't if there is foam touching them. Plus kwikees are 35 bucks and are light if you plan on stalking with the bow. I currently have a few quivers, octane is veerrrryy heavy but I always take mine off when I get up the stand or to blind.

·
Registered
827 Posts
make sure you look the regs over really well in whatever state you plan on hunting that can have a lot to do with your sight choice, no lens here in idaho.
agree here in Oregon you can't hunt with mechanical broadheads or a lighted sight. as for the equipment I have a 5 pin truglo and a 7 pin montana flashpoint. the flashpoint is the best sight on the market in my opinion but for the money the truglo is very nice. all of my bows have a trophy ridge dropzone rest on them works great I love them. As for the arrows I like to shoot a heavy arrow around 460 grains @ 70#s. . and if you come out west be prepared to shoot 40 to 60 yards might not need to but better safe then sorry. good luck on your hunt hope you have a blast!!:cheers:

·
Registered
4,007 Posts
To answer some of your questions, I'll give it my best.

- I wouldn't look at the Ripcord rest. The QAD is virtually identical in terms of design, but it does it better. An example of this is the QAD will allow you to let the bow down without the rest arm coming down; the Ripcord cannot do this.

- 60 lbs of DW is plenty, although I always go with the more is better philosophy. I currently am shooting at 68 lbs.

- For simplicity of design and low cost, I'd go with a Kwikee Quiver. I currently use the combo one as it holds 4 arrows, and each arrow is held in 2 locations. This allows you to hold any/all mechanicals if you so choose.

- For your sight, many guys like the Spot Hoggs as they are well built. For me, I'd look into the G5 Optix sights. The one in particular that I like is the Optix XR as it has 3 fixed pins and 1 floating pin that can be used for longer distances. But, I'd want to verify that the sight is well built as some guys on this sight have had some issues with them.

Hope this helps.
David

1 - 12 of 12 Posts