Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd love to hear people's thoughts on what length stabilizer to use. I recently bought a Hoyt Pro Defiant. its the 30" axel to axel at about 70#. I'm aware that this really comes down to preference and trying options, however I wondered if anyone may have some insight with this particular setup.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Your stabilizer setup will really need to be tailored to you and your bow. I have a hoyt hyerforce that is slightly heavier than your pro defiant and I use an 6oz up front and 2oz in the back.

·
Premium Member
Reckoning 35 for 3D, RealmX for hunt, PSE SupraFocusXL for spot . Axcel, ARC release, Victory.
2,087 Posts
I have to just walk to hide or treestand, not more than few km distance. Usually under 2km.
Weight isn't actually a problem so I have it "plenty" 'cause I shoot best with that setup what I have.
If I would hike 'n hunt, then that would be different.
Never even weighted my whole setup... it's roundabout same that my 3D setup with 30" 2x12" stab's.

·
Registered
920 Posts
Length? The longest you can feel comfortable using in your hunting environment. For me, that is 12" long but I rarely blind hunt. I primarily treestand hunt for whitetails. I've noticed I'm much more stable and have better shot groups than running the 6" stabilizers I did previously.

FWIW, I've got a similar bow - '19 Hoyt Helix, 30.5" ATA.

·
Registered
5,907 Posts
10 to 12 on the front
8 or 10 on the back

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the thoughts. I also don't hunt out of blinds much, so maybe a 10-12 isnt a bad idea.

·
Registered
85 Posts
10" Doinker Flex Hunter that was on sale but I have 0 frame of reference as I didn't try another stabilizer first.

Also have it mounted on a 10deg quick detach but have the 10 degrees a little offset so that the weight is a bit to the left side to counteract my bow naturally tilting right.
As for the amount of weight, I picked values at random between 2oz and 12oz. Tried each weight a few times until I get the one I like best which was close 11 or 12oz... but 2nd best was 4oz and I usually shoot with that just for convenience + I probably wouldn't use that much weight if hunting.

Haven't tried a rear or side bar yet, but knowing myself, not something I'd want to deal with when hunting.

·
Registered
9,771 Posts
Its a personal thing. Added weight, length back bar all that.

I hunt out of blinds all the time and use a 12" bar with no issues.

·
Registered
823 Posts
Whatever stabilizes your bow best. I know it’s the cheeky/ cop out answer but it’s also the most accurate.

Where your bow balances best is unique to you and your setup. Your anchor point is different, grip is different, you are probably running different sights, quivers, loops, etc.

Best thing to do is go to an actual pro shop and try different stabilizers with different amounts of weight. Find where it settles in the best and go with that.

I have a 12” stab with like 6 oz of weights on the front at a slight offset.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
Isaiah 6:8
2,734 Posts
i have an 11 inch bar up front and an 8 inch bar in the back. i hunt out of a treestand so length isn't a big concern of mine. just think with an arrow nocked you have over 20 inches sticking out front. i would not hesitate to use a longer bar in the front (within reason).

·
Registered
Bowtech Realm X and PSE Inertia 50lbs
4,462 Posts
You may want to go to the Hoyt section and ask.
a stablizer does not stablize until it is past your furtherest point out, which most cases the end of limbs where your limb bolts are, so on some PSE's anything less then 7 inches is a dampner but not acting like a stabilizer, I have no idea the distance on your hoyt from the threaded riser to the portion past the limb ends, but that is where you need to go from. if it is 3 inches, an 8inch stab is only 5inches of stablizing, for that 5 innches to work better you add weight, of go longer

·
Registered
600 Posts
I favorite combo is a 12" in the front, and a 7.5" that I cut down from my 10" because I swapped from the front stabilizer location to using a rear mounting hole.

The 10 felt good, but got in the way because it sticks too far back behind the string for my preference, and would get it hung up on my clothes.

·
Registered
4 Posts
My rig has the lightest thing I could find on the front and a 12 off the back with weight. this was due to the bo being top heavy and wanting to balance with quiver attached.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts