Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a stand that has been producing well and has a LOT of deer activity around it. I shot a deer Friday out of my tree on the trail. I saw about a 12 deer there Friday evening. I jumped two deer scouting it on Thursday evening, and saw three cross over the trail that same night right a dark later on the same day. I did not hunt it Sat, Sun, or Mon, but a friend called me and said that he almost hit a deer crossing the road on that same trail at 6:00pm coming home from work on Monday. So I took a friend there and put him in the tree for his second bow hunt of his life and he got TWO yesterday evening out of the same place!!!

We gutted my deer about 50 yards from the stand on Friday and we gutted his two about 30-40 yards from the stand yesterday. My question is do you think that this will mess up the deer travel in that location? I know we probably should have dragged em away from the trail:( . I am wanting to hunt it again this evening.

I want to hunt it because out of 6 different buddies/aquaintances I talk to I am seeing by FAR the most deer activity! Five of the other buddies have not seen as many deer together as I have in this one area!!!

What should I do?????

thanks
citori

S

·
0 Posts
Contrary to what some might say, a gut pile is not going to alter deer activity in your area. Mostly because it won't be there long after you gut the deer anyway, and second because they just don't care.

If there is deer in the area and they are still there after shooting 3 deer from the stand then keep hunting it..

·
Registered
92 Posts
A couple of years ago my buddy killed a deer and gutted it right by his tree. I hunted that tree the next morning and killed one within a few feet of the gut pile. I don't think it bothers them at all.

·
Registered
593 Posts
I am very new to tree stand hunting but my partner and I killed deer out of the same tree this year one on a Thursday and one on the following Tuesday and the deer activity really hasen't changed...We are hunting private land and there are a ton of deer in the area so I am sure that helps...

·
wannabtradguy
15,322 Posts
a guy field dressed a deer and killed another one there the next day sniffing the gut pile.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Dead deer

I've had a couple unexpected experiences with dead deer on the ground. Last year, I killed a doe with my rifle no more than 30 yards from my stand. Within 30 minutes, a forkhorn walked directly to her and stopped within a couple yards before turning around.

A few years ago, my buddy killed a small buck with a muzzleloader just before dark. We found him at the far edge of the woods the next morning. Rather than drag him 500 yards to the truck, we circled around on an adjacent property with his vehicle. When we got close to the dead buck, we saw three does standing around him.

I don't know if they have a sense of morbid curiosity but it doesn't seem to bother them much.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts