Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've seen a few threads concerning hunting in Hawaii and not found very much real good info. My lovely brother is getting married over Thanksgiving this year and decided that he wanted his whole family to indulge in this trip, which none of us have the money for, and falls in our Rut here in Missouri. ANYWAY I digress.. My plan was to try my hand at my first elk draw this year and head west but do to this cheap "gift" he's given us, the budget is blown! So now, trying to make lemonade out of lemons I did a little quick research and discovered there are plentiful populations of sheep and pigs on the big island and a lot of public land, and it appears that a tag runs about $100 for an out-of-stater.. Ideally it would be nice to hire someone who knows the land, animals, and what to do if we get blessed with a kill but that appears to be about $1000. So I was curious, is there anyone out there that has attempted a DIY hunt on the big island? Or anyone local who could provide any advice? Is this even feasible or should I just focus on my elk hunt for next year?

·
Banned
1,036 Posts
Ive taken 3 feral sheep and 3 feral goats on the BI. All public DIY.
PM me and Ill get ya in the right area.

·
Corripe Cervisiam
20,871 Posts
Hunted it myself with a buddy......a tip; contact Hawaii F&G and get your hunting license info done well in advance of your trip

·
Registered
945 Posts
One of the popular hunting areas is Pohakuloa Training Area, an Army training base that they usually open on weekends for hunting unless there is training going on. But during the time you are planning it will probably be only open to bird hunting. Other areas are some areas on Mauna Kea and Kipuka, with Kipuka being only open on weekends and holidays.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh believe me I have already expressed my feelings of getting married in November. Some people just don't get it. lol All I know is I don't plan to spend five days on the beach with his in-laws. If I can't be in my whitetail stand maybe I can take my frustrations out on a sheep.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So its official we got our hunter safety cards and are ready to go. if anyone has any last minute advice it would be greatly appreciated!

·
"Keep Hammering"
7,901 Posts
Hawaii is going to get slammed by 2 hurricanes.

·
<--Son's First Buck!
8,986 Posts
Ive taken 3 feral sheep and 3 feral goats on the BI. All public DIY.
PM me and Ill get ya in the right area.
Hello
I came across a post of your regarding hunting sheep on the big island. My father is going out there next month for a wedding and was thinking of trying for a Mouflan. He was looking at Mauna Kei. He spoke with G&F and they told him his best bet was a private ranch. Are there viable opportunities on public land? Any help you could offer would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Colin

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

1 - 11 of 11 Posts