Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
here in texas it is legal to hunt hogg under lights.

does anyone have a light setup for hog hunts?
where did you get it?
how well does it work?

·
Registered
4,848 Posts
cabelas,i have one for my rifle and my bow,i was down in texes three years in a row in the 90s,thats all we did was hunt under the light,we would should 2 pigs each ever night,would shoot them out to 200 yards under the light with the rifle,we came home at the end of the with 20 pigs,we hunted on the white oak river,,,,,,with the bow i would set myself up right on top of the 55 gallon tripod feeder,,,the red lens works awsome

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
I used and old string stop and mounted a flashlight to it. Never hunted hogs but used it for bowfishing.

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
I have a red light that mounts to my scope and is powered by a 12v feeder battery--it's good for about 80 yds, but my hogs are "red-light scared" and if I am not super super slow bringing the light down on them, they scatter.

I have also put the solar-powered landscape lights on the t-posts of the feeder pen, pointed under the feeder. They are AA-battery powered, have a small solar panel and electric eye for on-off. I have 4 of them and I can see the hogs from my seat 70 yds away without the red light. I got a pair at WM for $20 and bought a second pair at Harbor Freight for $15. This is way cheaper than some of the specialized hog lights. They've been up and running since May and the only problem I've had is from cows scratching on them--they are plastic and not real strong. But, a roll of duct tape fixes them just fine.

Here's a current link to Harbor Freight's product--looks like the price went up a bit:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=95745

·
Registered
12,800 Posts
wait for the next full moon....no cloud cover, you won't need lights....hunt them all the time at night, fun stuff! :darkbeer:

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have a red light that mounts to my scope and is powered by a 12v feeder battery--it's good for about 80 yds, but my hogs are "red-light scared" and if I am not super super slow bringing the light down on them, they scatter.

I have also put the solar-powered landscape lights on the t-posts of the feeder pen, pointed under the feeder. They are AA-battery powered, have a small solar panel and electric eye for on-off. I have 4 of them and I can see the hogs from my seat 70 yds away without the red light. I got a pair at WM for $20 and bought a second pair at Harbor Freight for $15. This is way cheaper than some of the specialized hog lights. They've been up and running since May and the only problem I've had is from cows scratching on them--they are plastic and not real strong. But, a roll of duct tape fixes them just fine.

Here's a current link to Harbor Freight's product--looks like the price went up a bit:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=95745
this is exactly what i am looking for.
what are the AA batteries for?
i plan on getting a pair of these this weekend :) thankyou

1 - 7 of 7 Posts