Archery Talk Forum banner

Hunting vane options

3K views 31 replies 14 participants last post by  plutoviola 
#1 ·
I currently have blazers on my hunting arrows. Nothing wrong with them. Except there's that part of me that looks around and says "man, everyone and their dog is using these things - I want to try something different". Call me crazy, but that's the way I work.

I don't have a fletching jig or anything yet, and there are other things on my priority list. But I am curious what else is out there for a dependable, durable, accurate and easy to use broadhead vane. I use fixed blade bus, if that affects it. Thanks!

#4 ·
There is a reason you see so many Blazer vanes on hunting arrows ! LOL!

Ive used the Raptor, Predator, Feathers and several others for my hunting arrows over the years.....they all worked well but.....I always return to the Blazers. Its just hard to beat the durability of them.

That said....try you some real feathers for a change. Nothing beats feathers for the coolness factor and the BH flight will be great.

#6 ·
There is a reason you see so many Blazer vanes on hunting arrows ! LOL!

That said....try you some real feathers for a change. Nothing beats feathers for the coolness factor and the BH flight will be great.
Yeah, I know blazers are great. I have no objections other than the fact that I'm just enough of a rebel to want my own way of going about it. Call me silly - I know it is. But surely blazers aren't the only great option.

Feathers? Yeah, they've got the cool factor. But I'm not convinced of the durability and performance in rain/snow yet. I know there's waterproofing powder and such, but I don't want to have to think about stuff like that once I've gotten the fletching on there.

#14 ·
I am using the new AAE Pro Max vanes they are 1.7 and I love em far they fly great getting good spin fletched them at a right helical I use mechanical so I havnt had an issue and if I use a 4 blade slick trick then I will fletch 4 vanes but with the rages they have flown fine.. Gonna see how they fly with Gravediggers gonna try them this year..

#17 ·
You will not find vanes better then Flex Fletch vanes. They are more durable then every thing out there....and when they do tear they will not flutter and need to be replaced so they still shoot with the other arrows. Color options are greater also.

I would hunt with the Flash, Silent Knight, 310, and my standard hunting and indoor vane the 360.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#20 ·
You will not find vanes better then Flex Fletch vanes. They are more durable then every thing out there....and when they do tear they will not flutter and need to be replaced so they still shoot with the other arrows. Color options are greater also.

I would hunt with the Flash, Silent Knight, 310, and my standard hunting and indoor vane the 360.
I keep getting drawn to the 360 - Would you recommend the extreme version, or no? At the moment their store only has my colors in the extreme. But it also looks like they're working on their websites quite a bit.....

#24 ·
360s on top of a wrap...all I use for glue 99% of the time is Flex Bond....although those may have been done when I was trying Zing. But after using Zing I still prefer Flex Bond and have gone back to using it exclusively.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#22 ·
4" feathers for me--hard to beat them for stabilizing ability with broadheads. they are durable enough--just don't shoot groups with them very often. but even ratty and torn-up, they still do the job.

waterproofing powder or foodgrade silicon spray and they hold up just fine in rain or snow.

#29 ·
I called up flex fletch today and for my setup and needs, they recommended the 3" silent knight most, or the 2" flash. They're sending me samples of both to try out. This will be my first fletching job (I just bought a bitz today). It looks like I'm getting spoiled with my first experience here. So far I'm converted. And I haven't even gotten the vanes yet. Now to look up how to use this jig....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.