Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting ip in years and physical issues. Question, Is 60lbs draw good enough with the newer bows. I'm talking Whitetail. If God allows some day,maybe Elk or Black Bear.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Plenty. My girlfriend hunt with a 60 lbs bow at 25" draw and has no problem passing thru. On good shots of course.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Yeah its plenty good im shooting a 05 switch back at 62 lbs with only a 26.5 draw and get pass throughs on deer and bear

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

·
Anti Fanboy
42,158 Posts
I'm getting ip in years and physical issues. Question, Is 60lbs draw good enough with the newer bows. I'm talking Whitetail. If God allows some day,maybe Elk or Black Bear.
Yep, 60# is plenty. I suggest keeping that arrow weight up to at least 400 grains. I have killed many deer with that combo. Went lighter on my arrows before and didnt get the same great results that I get with a 408 grain arrow.

And of course, you can always go to a smaller bh or a COC bh if you need to drop your dw down.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
50# is plenty for deer with today's bows, so 60# would definitely do it. I've whacked quite a few deer with a 52# bow the last few years.

·
JB WELD PRO STAFFER
13,079 Posts
60 pounds is GTG for any North American Critter!

My 60 pound AXE6 out performs ever 70 pound bows I have ever owned. I recomend you get and Xforce set 50-60 put her on 55 and kill whatever you want.

·
Registered
6,623 Posts
If I had to take a guess, with the efficiency level of today's bows I would venture to say that a 60 pound bow today would rival an 80-90 pound bow from days past in energy and so forth. 60 pounds is MORE than enough for just about every animal there is, including the HUGE moose that Dwight Schuh killed a few years ago with a 58 pound Switchback. Stay calm, pick a spot and then find a youngster to help drag it out lol ;)

·
Registered
6,456 Posts
For deer, 50 is plenty in most cases with todays bows/arrows/broadheds much less 60. But there will always be some advantages in shooting more weight if you physically can and are comfortable with it. Kinetic energy is indisputable and more of it is NEVER a bad thing.

Dawg

·
Registered
7,421 Posts
60 is all I do for 3d and hunting. A good frined of mine shoots under 60lbs. Usually around 55-57 at a 26" draw and blows right through them!!! Nothing to worry with todays bows.

·
Registered
408 Posts
My 12 year old son shoots 40lb and had a pass through last year....only thing is judging distance becomes more critical since your arrow drops more.

·
Registered
2,769 Posts
Yeah its plenty good im shooting a 05 switch back at 62 lbs with only a 26.5 draw and get pass throughs on deer and bear

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk
Now that reassuring!!

I am shooting 63# at 26.5lbs!

Fist pump to the short arm people!!! haha

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Sorry, I was at the range. I'm shooting an old Mitey Mite. 68lbs and 29" draw. Im going to try and get a new bow next year. It's getting to be a job pulling this back.

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
For whitetail, with a modern bow, even 50 would get the job done. By the time you get into the 60-70 lb range, the question isn't penetration on the deer. Its how far into the dirt do you want it to stick on the other side!!!

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
More than enough. Gotta look at how many animals have been killed with recurves and long bows at around 45 lbs. I agree with above that KE has no replacement, but coming from a man with 2 bad rotator cuffs.............................shoulders aren't either. You could actually go down to around 50 with some of the new bows and still get enough KE to get the job done, and with the smoothness of the new bows, it will feel like drawing a 40 lb bow of yester year.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
and with the smoothness of the new bows, it will feel like drawing a 40 lb bow of yester year
This what I'm thinking the diff. will be. My bow is 8 years old. I hear ya about the rotator cuffs. I've had my right one, put back together, my left shoulder has two full thickness tears now. ( will have to wait till after this season)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts