Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
tips and equipment needs for hunting swampy terrain????
got everything that a dry land deer hunter needs + boat.

give me ideas from waders to safty to what ever else you are wanting to share
because of pressure, having to get deeper and farther from roads.

The land we are hunting cosist of a major canal throught the center of nearly 1350 acres.
consist of mature timber (all types) 100 to 500 yards off the edge of canal, to dried up marsh (like CRP fields) to nothing but duck marsh (buck brush and so forth). Lots of duck huting. Most of the land is surrounded by private farming land (beans this year).

Needing your help!
Thanx

·
Just Do It.....
30,245 Posts
A mud motor is a great way to get a boat into that kind of marsh. Lightweight waders called stockingfoot waders are great they use seperate boots. Lots better for mobility and not real hot. Those waders come in waist and chest high.
Ive been thinking about scouting a duck marsh here in kansas.
A good push pole is great for the last leg of the boat trip, not as noisey as a motor, or a trolling motor.
Ive seen deer (in the parking lot) shot by rifle hunters at the duck marsh I want to scout. So I guess 45 days of shotguns did not bother them too much.
Oh yeah, check how deep the water is before you jump out of the boat.

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
Hunting over-looked areas such as marshes can have big rewards. Scout alot this summer to find the most ign in the area then find an easy and quiet way into it if you can from down wind preferably. Over the years I hunted edges of large beaver marshes up here with not much luck in the killing department. Have seen alot of bucks that go into these such places to get away from other hunters. Got lots of these areas that I'd like to get back into once again an try to harvest some of the mature deer in our area.

Main equipment are a good set of waders, an some sort of platform that will get you alittle way off of the ground so you can see alittle ways over the brush/weeds/grass.

Matt

·
Registered
283 Posts
a good pair of snakeboots

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
Get a Thermocell insect repellent unit. They are small, light, virtually scent free and they really work to keep the skeeters away. If you arrow one in the swamp and he goes down in water you may not have more than an inch or two of deer showing above the water so you have to really look close to find him. Go in early so you can take your time moving to your stand spot. It is amazing how much noise you make trying to move through water quickly. On the other hand if you move slowly you can be silent. If you are willing to go a few hundred yards off the beaten path you can have the territory to yourself. Swamp hunting is really rewarding.

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
A wading staff really comes in handy.

Make one with a hook on the end.

6-6 1/2 ft is about right.

Use wood - it floats

A GPS s a modern miracle for swamp hunting also.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
We always hunt in pairs and always use a canoe or a 14 foot v bottom with a trolling motor. Stealth is most important. Nothing better than slipping into a doe bedding area through the back door early on a November morning!

·
Just Do It.....
30,245 Posts
What about a marsh that has a lot of duck hunters in the more open areas.

·
Registered
19,545 Posts
find funnels!! they are everywhere in the swamp county. dont be afraid to sit over water either. might feel weird but sometimes it really pays off

oh and i wouldnt go in there without a thermacell!!!

·
Registered
104 Posts
Swamp hunting can be some of the most rewarding hunting you will ever do. It's tough work and like jdawg said, it's always good to hunt in pairs when deep in the swamp. I have always had very good luck setting up on high ground early in the morning and catching them coming into bed. You will find that deer will move all day in swamp land, I guess they feel very comfortable in these areas.

Another good suggestion is snake boots or chaps. If you hunt there long enough you will get popped by a water mocossin for sure!! I've been snapped at a few times but a good quality pair of chaps will save you.

Also be on the look out for ground wasp. Here in NC they can get pretty bad and those dang things hurt like the devil. You can buy some smoke like repellent in case you stir some up, it will probably mess up your deer hunting in that area for a while but who the heck cares if it gets those wasp off of you.

Good luck- it'll be tough but the big ones are definetely there, especially in heavily hunted areas!!

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanx

hey AT friends ---- thanx once again
I've hunted for many year, mainly in the big woods or around farm land but never in the marshes of mississippi. Had to make change and learn the deer again but i'm looking forward to it ---------CHALLENGE!!!!!!!

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
find funnels!! they are everywhere in the swamp county. dont be afraid to sit over water either. might feel weird but sometimes it really pays off

oh and i wouldnt go in there without a thermacell!!!
+1
I agree with the funnels and I treat my clothes with Duranon(permithrin)

·
Registered
972 Posts
I dont know about funnels. In our swamp land, it is just acres and acres of trees with with no distinct difference. We always look for persimmons and any dry land. If you see an oak or pine, it will be usually dry around there.

You dont mind walking through water but you sure as heck dont want to lay down in it. Either do deer.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Out here in eastern North Carolina the most common item used to hunt swaps would be the......

Deer Hound:mad:

·
Registered
300 Posts

find a island

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
hunt'n swamp

jamedbowstring---This land is not posted because u r hunt'n it 2

Thanx for the replies----
u r some great folks----
if u folks can think of more ideas and tips, send them.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
I have a couple stands on high ground in swamps. They will move along the high spots to keep dry lots of the time.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts