Archery Talk Forum banner

Hunting with a back tension release

1126 12
Was wondering if anyone hunts with a back tension release,if so what kind?
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
498 Posts
I bought the HHA LP-3 last year. I pretty much ran out of time to get myself used to it, since I never shot back tension before. It's a really well made release, but just laying in my archery box at this point.

· Registered
2,567 Posts
I can name a dozen that Hunt with a back tension release to include myself.

I personally have been hunting with a back tension release for 22 years.

· Registered
450 Posts
I use my carter mini evolution + for hunting! I love it!

· Registered
8,034 Posts
Agreed! BT is the only release type I will shoot or hunt with!! Hey Brian, How's it goin'??? :)

I can name a dozen that Hunt with a back tension release to include myself.

I personally have been hunting with a back tension release for 22 years.

· *Chick Repellent*
21,419 Posts
I tried hunting with a BT release and had a bad experience with it. A really nice buck came in from an unexpected direction and the only opportunity I had for an open shot was about a 1-2 second gap he walked through. Wasn't able to "pull" through the release in time to get the shot off. Since then I've went back to a trigger so I have more control over when the shot goes off.

I mean I could have just shortened up the travel and made it like a "hair trigger", but they would be defeating the whole purpose to shooting a BT release.

· Lou & Jode
11,142 Posts
I use a Scott Longhorn two finger with the clicker, with the clicker I can rush right into it if I have to get get the shot off quickly. It takes alot of practice though, I did hit one back a little one year because he was walking, you have to practice real life hunting shots and know the shortcomings.

· Registered
2,718 Posts
I have thought about hunting with one of my BT releases, but I want the option of controling the shot. On the other hand, any trigger release can be shot using BT. My hunting release is a Stan Eagle 4 finger w/a middle finger trigger. I think it is easier to shoot using BT than a release with an index finger trigger. For me, BT comes first, but I will not hesitate to punch that trigger on a moving Deer if I have to. I like having options.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.